INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 8: Pops and clicks  (Read 1180 times)

dpbeatleybuild 238

MJ 8: Pops and clicks
« on: May 02, 2002, 02:10:20 pm »

Greetings!

Seems that over the last 2-3 builds the player exhibits pops and clicks playing MP3 files and Music CD's. Seems that playing CD's create the most pops and clicks. I have determined that it must be MJ as my other software does not exhibit the behaviour: MusicMatch 7, RealOne, WinAmp, and Media Player 7.

Jim suggested that I try playing around with the OUTPUT options and PERFORMANCE settings to see if one or all cause the problem. Seems that DIRECT SOUND makes it worse (louder) and that the default WAVEOUT lessens the effect - lower, less often. However, none of the options seem to rectify the problem. In addition, there are times that I get no pops or clicks and then suddenly "they're back..."

I did not have, or at least notice, this problem in builds 239 and lower. Seems that it surfaced with the recent builds and it REALLY was noticed when the virtual subwoofer problem was fixed.
Also, I reinsalled MJ 7 (last released version) and the problem went away. So it must be something in MJ8.

DELL 5000e Laptop with ESS Maestro sound card with upto date drivers etc.

Listening to: 'Gets Me Through' from 'Down To Earth' by 'Ozzy Osbourne' on Media Jukebox

Media Jukebox 8.0.265

CPU: Intel Pentium III 800 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 99 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000 Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.4718
wnaspi32.dll: N/A

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:MJ 8: Pops and clicks
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2002, 02:21:40 pm »

Take a look at other software and hardware in use.  Wireless mouse, for example.

I asked if you could relate it to certain file types (MP3, etc).  Is it always CD's?

Take a look at EQ and DSP settings in MJ.  Disable everything you can think of.

Digital vs analog playback?  Not all CD players are created equal, and some won't do digital playback correctly.  This can be set in MJ.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

dpbeatley

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2002, 03:16:46 pm »

Hi Jim:

No wireless mouse bbut a wireless LAN card to my DSL router.

After playing around some more, I have isolated it to DIGITAL PLAYBACK on this unit. If enabled the volume is about 2|PLS||PLS| times (really LOUD) that of analog and playback is choppy with clicks and pops. And ONLY with CD's. Now, in RealOne I have DIGITAL extraction set but I don't know if it uses DIGITAL playback - don't see an option. In Media Player 7 there is an option for digital playback which is SET and I get no pops or clicks. So, is it possible that the CD playback logic in MJ when set to DIGITAL is the source of the noise and somewhat choppy playback? The choppy playback occurs at the beginning of a track when in DIGITAL mode. Been listening to a CD for about 20mins now and the noise is gone - playback set to ANALOG.

Let me know what else I can do to help out - really hate REALONE!! Loving MJ8 more and more.

Regards, dennis

JimH

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2002, 03:22:32 pm »

Dennis,
Good news!  At least you have a work-around.  I'm not sure that "digital playback" in Windows is completely faultless.  At least Microsoft seems to be able to make it work.  

Welcome to Interact, by the way.  Sorry if I haven't said so before.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

dpbeatley

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2002, 03:36:37 pm »

Hi Jim - thanks for the welcome - been lurking for some weeks now. Now we need to work on the CD BURN module. I would REALLY like to see MJ emulate REALONE in this regard.

For example, if the playlist exceeds the CDR capacity, MJ should burn what will fit, mark them as ON CDR, and when next media is inserted, continue on to the end of the playlist. I use this to make compilation CDR's that span more than one cd.

And, now that the cd finished, it seems that MJ is still not flushing the sound card correctly. Still getting some left over music.

Keep on truckin...dennis

JimH

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2002, 04:04:34 pm »

Dennis,
The sound card thing could be a sound card thing.  That's our theory, at least.  Feel free to prove us wrong.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up