INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP and LP filter types?  (Read 1117 times)

natehansen66

• World Citizen
HP and LP filter types?
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:54:45 am »

What type of filters are used for HP and LP in the PEQ? I thought I remember reading somewhere that they are LR type, but noticed a different result from my miniDSP when implementing filters with MC. At the time I didn't think anything of it and used other PEQ functions with the HP and LP filters to get the correct acoustic result.

I've been looking into doing convolver based crossovers lately, using REW to generate the filters, so I thought I would do a loopback (with a cable from input to output) measurement to see the output of a 300-900 lr4 filter. I got strange results, probably due to my setup. Then I thought I would do the same with a 300-900 4th order implemented in MC's PEQ to make sure my setup was correct. Measured in ARTA (using ARTA's target response), MC's filter follows a Butterworth type. A 2nd order filter with the same band pass produces a 2nd order Bw. As would be expected, two 2nd order LP filters and two 2nd order HP filters (in MC, assuming they are Bw type) produces an LR4 transfer function.

Like I said, I thought I read that these were supposed to be LR type transfer functions. Measurements say Butterworth, I can post some screen shots if anybody is interested. Was this the intention?

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: HP and LP filter types?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 11:38:33 am »

The high-pass and low-pass filters are Butterworths.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

natehansen66

• World Citizen
Re: HP and LP filter types?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 03:45:48 pm »

Thanks, simple answer to a complicated post  ;)

Could we get a HP and LP with a user defined Q? Not so sure that I would need Allocator then........
Pages: [1]   Go Up