INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boring Tasks at Work  (Read 1367 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Boring Tasks at Work
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:17:55 pm »

So... I'm sitting here watching a videoconference with other people participating, talking about stuff I don't care about (at all), doing absolutely nothing other than hoping it doesn't break (upon which I will spring into action).  Since the CEO, COO, CTO, and Research Director are all sitting in on the call, I have to give it my full attention (well, I'm also trolling Interact, obviously).

My otherwise-often-jam-packed workdays are punctuated by occasional bouts of extreme and often absurd levels of do-nothing boredom.

For example, a few months ago, I got to spend 2 fun-filled days filming a conference for a bunch of high-level PhD math-guys (Computational Biology and Statistical Genomics, if you care).  The crazy thing was that for literally 16+ hours of recordings, other than connector words and introductory remarks, I didn't understand a single thing they were saying the whole time.

I'm not a dumb guy.  I'm well read and have a decent vocabulary.  I'm no math-wiz but I get the basics, and managed a passing grade in Calculus and whatnot.  Not only did I not understand the concepts they were talking about.... But in many cases, I didn't even know most of the words they were using.  I wanted to claw my eyeballs out after the first two hours or so.

I'm sure others have amusing/boring things to tell.  I'm twiddling my thumbs.  Entertain me.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Boring Tasks at Work
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 02:21:54 pm »

I've been reading posts for days that talk about making something beautiful, but nobody seems to agree what that means.  They go on for sentences and paragraphs and repeat the same big ideas, but I can't see it.

I think I'll go have a box of cupcakes now.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:27:56 pm »

I think I'll go have a box of cupcakes now.

;D

I'm with you on that.  I'm enjoying a delicious homemade oatmeal cream pie right now, actually.

But in many cases, I didn't even know most of the words they were using.  I wanted to claw my eyeballs out after the first two hours or so.

The worst part was the "jokes".  Occasionally the speaker would say something incomprehensible, and then the room (sans me) would erupt into laughter.

It was surreal.  I felt like I was in the tower of Babel.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 07:38:03 pm »

I bought a cheese cake the other day, better than any cupcake I don't care who made it.

>> oatmeal cream pie

Never had one, but you have me thinking about a coconut cream pie
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Griff

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 08:08:50 pm »

Hee Hee Hee

And I thought I was the only one:

I've been reading posts for days that talk about making something beautiful, but nobody seems to agree what that means.  They go on for sentences and paragraphs and repeat the same big ideas, but I can't see it.

O/T

King nice to see youre still kicking, hope Sue is OK.

Glynor, youre a cool dude, Thanks for your contributations.

Well Im going to get a Beer, Docs orders

Hey Jim, Maybe blood will work ?

;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 08:33:04 pm »

> "hope Sue is OK"

she is a bit better, But I do all the cleaning, cooking etc...

She is in no shape to go back to work, I don't think she ever will, to many issues that don't get better with age.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up