INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater view over homenetwork - possible?  (Read 2853 times)

qwert73

• Recent member
Theater view over homenetwork - possible?
« on: May 11, 2012, 02:25:21 pm »

In the next 2 or 3 months i am going to buy a Philips 47-inch TV. I am a total noob when it comes to the topic "media network". So i took some time for getting information. After one week of research i decided that it could be a good idea to add the WDTV SMP Box to my new TV and a NAS (one week ago i didn't know what this is! ;D) to my router. For sure then i will at last purchase MC17. Now there remains just one question: Is it at all possible to use the theater view in above described setup (means: no direct connection between PC and TV but just over homenetwork) and - if yes - what remote would i use to control theater view on TV (my PC is in another room)? Gizmo?

(BTW: Is the wdtv box a good decision or do you would recommend another media player box? And to all you wdtv users: since wd has released several boxes in the last years: is there a time rythm so that you can say the next box will be released probably this year? I don't want to buy the wdtv smp just to see two months later the new generation)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theater view over homenetwork - possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 03:11:10 pm »

it might work if your tv could do screen sharing or something.  I could be wrong but I dont think you can stream the GUI.

You could however put all of your drives and Main MC server in the other room, then add a cheap, small HTPC for your TV room.  Install MC on both and share the library from one to the other.

Just a thought.
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:56:43 pm »

Is the proposed WDTV device going to connect via WiFi or Ethernet?
Same question for the PC.
The reason I ask is if they are going to be hard wired is: you could use a HDMI over CAT5 system and then you wouldn't need the WDTV device as the TV would be an extension of your desktop.

Info: http://www.hdmiovercat5.net/
Sean

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 06:15:57 pm »

a HDMI over CAT5 system

What the hell is that!!!!!?  Googling now.  Sounds awesome.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

qwert73

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 06:18:07 pm »

For the sake of a stable connection i am planning to connect PC as well as the wdtv device via ethernet. Not sure what you mean with "hdmi over cat5  system"- Would a hardwired solution make it possible to send the screen of pc to wdtv device resp. tv without direct connection but just over network?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 07:23:53 pm »

Not sure what you mean with "hdmi over cat5  system"- Would a hardwired solution make it possible to send the screen of pc to wdtv device resp.

I posted a link for info on HDMI over cat5, you must have overlooked it.
To my knowledge there is no way to stream the GUI over the network to a TV.
Sean

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 09:53:14 pm »

Thanks Scolex!

No I didn't miss it the link.  I was just exclaiming a "WOW" as I had never heard of that before.

I am wiring up my HTPC this weekend.  My router and office PC are in the room directly behind my living room so it really only require one hole and about 5ft of cable.

If I could do this I would be able to move the HTPC out of the room completely.  The only reason it is there is so I can use my HDTV as a monitor.  If i can stream even just 720p over that, I am all over it.

Thanks for the heads up.
Patrick

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:54:54 pm »

pcstockton

Up until 2 weeks ago my man cave was only a wall away from my living room so I just needed a 12' HDMI cable.
Moved to a new home and now they are roughly a 40' cable run away from each other.
Lucky for me the new home has a full basement with drop ceiling so the runs are quite simple and I don't have
to deal with creepy crawlers in a crawl space.
The move is how I discovered the option which is great since CAT5/6 cable is dirt cheap and I already have the connectors and crimping tool.

I have yet to purchase the required equipment as I am still weighing my options.

On a side note the new home has an old (1979) whole home audio/intercom system and I am hoping to use the wiring to install touchscreens that
use Display Link's USB technology in all rooms that currently have the old system in them. At a minimum I can use the old wiring to pull new cables.
Sean

qwert73

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 06:16:59 am »

At my home the distance between PC and TV would be the longest: if the cable would rum "seamlessly" along baseboard and doorframe i wouldneed approxiametely 33 m (1300 inch!!).
Scolex, your solution doesn't seem to be cheap: something about 350$?

Ideal it would be if the theater view itself could be installed on the NAS itself and send its content to the TV directly so that this wonderful view with its amazing custom views is independent from an PC.

qwert73

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 05:01:51 pm »

I noticed WebGizmo. Since my TV will have an internet browser i could use that for playing my library through the TV. Just two questions: Does this web interface gives me acces to all my views and playlists crated on PC? How would i remote control that?

pcstockton

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 05:21:41 pm »

If I could do this I would be able to move the HTPC out of the room completely.  The only reason it is there is so I can use my HDTV as a monitor.

Well not quite.  I forgot about my digital out for audio... you know the whole point of all of this for me.

I guess it is time for a Squeezebox!

-p

qwert73

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 03:54:17 pm »

fitbrit, in the meantime i found some other solutions but your advice seems to be by far the cheapest. Thanks!

The idea to connect pc to tv led me to the idea to sit on couch, to see pc screen (from other room) on tv and to use it by a wireless keyboard/mouse. Sure: not a great idea for some tasks you can perform on a pc, but for some others the idea seems wonderful. For testing i went with my keyboard in the rooom and tried to write a small text but my input didn't reach the pc. Is there any idea to solve that problem? Special keyboards? Anything else?

(i hope the problem is clear: i want to control the pc with the keyboard but i am sitting in another room in front of the tv to see on it what is happening on pc screen)

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 04:10:35 pm »

It depends on the distance if you could walk through the walls and the number of walls between the TV and PC.
There are different options depending on you answer to the above.
What is the brand and model of your current keyboard/mouse?
Sean

qwert73

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 04:48:34 pm »

It is a microsoft wireless keyboard 3000 v 2.0, the distance is approximately 10m, there are two walls but both walls have doors.

I estimated that the conditions aren't so bad but the test told the opposite.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 08:00:04 am »

You are at the limits of the range for most keyboards (~30'/10M). 
Here are some options.
Use a separate keyboard with it's receiver plugged into a usb extension cable that goes from the PC room to the TV room.
If MS keyboards are capable of connected to multiple receivers you could do as above with just an extra receiver (capability?)
Buy a long range keyboard (warning they are pricey). http://www.wireless-computing.com/index.htm
Sean

qwert73

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 07:35:37 am »

Use a separate keyboard with it's receiver plugged into a usb extension cable that goes from the PC room to the TV room.
Huh, one cable more! :D I started with two cables and end with four.

Buy a long range keyboard (warning they are pricey). http://www.wireless-computing.com/index.htm
They are indeed expensive!

I'll see! Thanks for all your advices
Pages: [1]   Go Up