INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: j river room correction not convolution..  (Read 2363 times)

LesC

• World Citizen
j river room correction not convolution..
« on: June 29, 2012, 05:23:32 am »

is the room correction dsp useful even in just 2 channel mode ?

it seems to have an effect...

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: j river room correction not convolution..
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:20:40 am »

In general, room correction is providing small timing corrections to compensate for the differences in the listener's distance from the various speakers.  This correction help to provide the correct perception of sound image positioning.  For a two speaker system, provided you are sitting equidistant from the two speakers, room correction is unnecessary.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Trumpetguy

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:22:27 am »

In general, room correction is providing small timing corrections to compensate for the differences in the listener's distance from the various speakers.  This correction help to provide the correct perception of sound image positioning.  For a two speaker system, provided you are sitting equidistant from the two speakers, room correction is unnecessary.

Nick.

Well, I would consider that statement to be simplified at best. If we skip the discussion whether or not digital room correction is a good or bad thing in principle, convolution solutions with filters from Accurate, Audiolense or other would provide a very good optimization even with speakers in an equilateral triangle. It will help linearizing your frequency response. Some would also do time domain corrections to compensate for frequency dependent timing differences.

LesC

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 08:08:15 am »

i have audiolense and with convolution on, i find it "dirty" sounding.

according to the plug-ins description it helps optimize signal phasing. that's exactly what i'm getting. soundstage improved a LOT. decay, detail, frequency response.. everything.

could you guys just try it. (i suppose jrmc is part of your playback chain).

NickF

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:37:46 am »

Well, I would consider that statement to be simplified at best. If we skip the discussion whether or not digital room correction is a good or bad thing in principle, convolution solutions with filters from Accurate, Audiolense or other would provide a very good optimization even with speakers in an equilateral triangle. It will help linearizing your frequency response. Some would also do time domain corrections to compensate for frequency dependent timing differences.
I'm  little confused!  The title specifically says room correction NOT convolution.  So my comments were about the standard DSP Room Correction.  Your comments are specifically about convolution, and I agree with them.  So I'm not sure what Les is looking for.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

NickF

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:41:56 am »

according to the plug-ins description it helps optimize signal phasing. that's exactly what i'm getting. soundstage improved a LOT. decay, detail, frequency response.. everything.

could you guys just try it. (i suppose MC is part of your playback chain).
What do you mean by "dirty" Les?  Otherwise, you seem to be saying it does what it is supposed to do.

I use it for 2channel music with filters produced using Audiolense and am very happy with it.

Nick.

LesC

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:43:33 am »

i'm talking about the room correction dsp in my second post. those improvements were made by checking one box and setting the speaker distance....

NickF

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:56:43 am »

We're the two distances very different?  If so, it may have improved the phasing and the stereo image. Is it this standard RC that you think sounds dirty?

Nick.

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 10:01:35 am »

according to the plug-ins description it helps optimize signal phasing. that's exactly what I'm getting. soundstage improved a LOT. decay, detail, frequency response.. everything.

could you guys just try it. (i suppose MC is part of your playback chain).
I would like to understand why the use of  audiolense or other plugins should be better than doing our own measurements (say with free REW) and apply corrections directly in Media Center?  OK it is more work because it needs sound propagation understanding.
I did correction on my speakers position physically because I could since components are free to be moved (DIY).  But I have created crossovers and frequency corrections using only MC's PEQs.  I haven't try time correction so far but I will soon.
I think you better move the speakers away from the back wall enough (5 feet) to create a decent soundstage.  Speaker positioning is a major key for best reproduction.  Room correction is necessary but should come at the end to correct what is not possible physically or acoustically.
I must admit that I don't like the idea of a blind correction software.  Should I spend $ just for try?

LesC

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 10:22:12 am »

blind yes, but it did clear up haze / distortion.

the room should come first before the equipment. be it room correction or room treatment. this ones easier.

NickF, the speakers are the same distance from each other and from the listening position.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 10:32:26 am »

i'm talking about the room correction dsp in my second post. those improvements were made by checking one box and setting the speaker distance....
If your speaker distances are set the same, checking the box is doing nothing. It only makes a change when there are relative differences. This DSP is mostly useful for a multichannel system when the mains, center, surrounds, and subwoofer are all different distances from the listener. It also allows for the levels to be matched and bass management to be implemented.

LesC

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 10:40:07 am »

how come the sound is clearer and cleaner ? it's not placebo as i have had an unwilling blind test recipient say "how come it sounds like that"

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 10:45:15 am »

blind yes, but it did clear up haze / distortion.
I beleive you, and I'm sorry to have used your post to ask this question.  You already have this room correction software, it surelly have all what you need.
It is not clear for me if the Media Center's DSP options are as accurate when it comes to apply corrections, I just wonder why not?  I really would like this answer because I made MC's DSP my basic sound correction tool.
It's a kind of an existentialist question ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up