INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Totally missing something (zone control of clients)  (Read 1820 times)

HiFiTubes

• Citizen of the Universe
Totally missing something (zone control of clients)
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:20:50 pm »

I'm getting my client set up in the kicthen again and all is setup okay using the access keys.

However, I can not control the client with the server.

Similarly, if my wife or I are in the kitchen, and the client is connected to the server, JRemote can't control the client via a connection to either DLNA server (I enabled the one in kitchen).

I can only control the server, once the setting is enable 'to show server zones on client'.

This begs the question: Isn't zone control backwards? I don't want my kids turning off my hifi on the living room from the kitchen.

I could have sworn this used to work differently; the whole point of "Treemote" was to create bi-directional control? I may be having my first senior moment.

Newest top-of-board (160?) installed on both.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Totally missing something (zone control of clients)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:14:34 pm »

To control a client, connect to it directly with Gizmo, WebGizmo, JRemote, etc.

You just run Media Network on the client and connect to the client's server.

This is how my kitchen is setup as well, and it works great.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HiFiTubes

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 04:17:31 pm »

Thanks Matt, must be a bug with JRemote or something wrong with my setup. I'll keep trying, and report back.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 04:19:55 pm »

Thanks Matt, must be a bug with JRemote or something wrong with my setup. I'll keep trying, and report back.

Make sure you're connecting to the client and not the server.  Each will have a different access key.

It is possible to connect to the server and tunnel to the client with DLNA (probably), but I think it's unnecessarily complicated.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:24:24 pm »

I had to recently reset my access keys, and JRemote kept crashing on me in the kitchen last night.

I'm still a bit confused at the reasoning behind client having control over server.

Other way around, we connect one-time with JRemote and have all zones/clients at our disposal.

thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:32:19 pm »

I'm still a bit confused at the reasoning behind client having control over server.

It allows you to use a laptop, netbook, etc. as a remote control for the server.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:34:09 pm »

Right, guess I just want it both ways...literally.  ;D

J-a-k-e

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:25:13 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but as it stands if a client connects to a server via jremote the client can control and see zones both within the client and the server from the client machine. However from the server machine end there is no way easily to see client connections or control the zones of multiple connected clients.

This is something that I've had in mind for a while and is something that could be a handy idea for future developement, however I can see this being quite a huge undertaking. If a client connects to a server that client should have the option to be seen as part of the audio/video distribution network with the possible option of sharing between all. The client should also have the additional option of authenticating as a network media controller - for lack of a better term.

For example say I have MC server with 3 client only machines connected, these have the 'show in network' option ticked under client options There is also a fourth client say an android tablet that does not have this option ticked, this device is also however authenticated as a media level controller. From the first 3 clients I should be able to view and control the zone playback within the server and respective client machine although I won't be able control zones of other connected clients. From the android I should be able to view and control zone playback of all the other devices connected to the media network because it is authenticated as a media controller. The server should allow me to control and view all connected devices much as the android does, except for the android itself because the android client doesn't have the 'show in network' option enabled.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 06:38:29 am »

A lot, maybe all of this can be done now.  Take a look at the DLNA topic on our wiki for terminology.

However, in the case you want, the "clients" are really also servers.  Any zone they have, can be seen from other machines.

You could try this by turning on Media Network on all machines.  The servers will show up under Playing Now.  You can drag media to them.

The Android can control these.  It's considered a DLNA Controller.  In MC, you can use Gizmo for this (also on the Wiki).

HiFiTubes

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 07:03:22 am »

Okay, I have taken a look. My client has everything enabled for DLNA, and I can also set it to see all the Server zones.

However, I do not see this client in my Server Playing Now list, nor any of its zones.

Also, cover art is not displayed on JRemote (iPad) when connected to a client machine (I'll ping LesPaul about this).

Jim, I'm guessing you did not mean for me to add a new library to my server, and point that new library to the already connected client.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:45:19 pm »

Not sure what the hell I did but things are better.

1. Un-installed Eset Nod32 Smart Security on both machines | even though I could connect to both library servers.

2. Connected via Windows Explore using password to serve mahcine to client | remember password.

3. Re-booted

4. Client machine showed up on Server for first time since moving.

One issue - if I start playback with iOS device on the client as zone (connected to server), volume is hard locked and only controllable by that device.

Pages: [1]   Go Up