INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: issue when adding new libraries  (Read 1263 times)

kkapp

• Recent member
issue when adding new libraries
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:11:34 pm »

i am running 17.0.147. I am trying to create different libraries for different content IE: home movies, workout vids, music vids, etc.  However when I create a new library it tells me it is created in "read only mode an dll changes will be lost when program exits", and this is exactly what happens.  Why are my changes not saved? 

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: issue when adding new libraries
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 01:51:12 am »

Firstly, an MC Library Server will only run one library at a time.  Normally, all media is held in the same library.  The best way to achieve what you want is with tags or fields for the relevant files in the library allowing you to filter out the media types you want.

Another thing you need to understand is that, with default settings, you cannot make changes to the library on one PC from an MC client on another PC.  The changes will show temporarily on the client but will be lost when it next syncs.  You need to set up Authentication on the Server under Tools > Options > Media Network.  Make sure client sync is on for each client PC under Options > Media Network.

Take a little time to learn about fields and filtering to get the views you want.  This is probably easiest done with Genre.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

kkapp

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 06:42:47 pm »

thanks Nick for the reply.
Firstly, an MC Library Server will only run one library at a time.  Normally, all media is held in the same library.  The best way to achieve what you want is with tags or fields for the relevant files in the library allowing you to filter out the media types you want.

I understand that normally all media is held in the same library, however I do not want it all in the same library for specific reasons and since MC has the ability to have multiple libraries i would rather use them. I may go the other route later but for now I would rather do it this way.

Another thing you need to understand is that, with default settings, you cannot make changes to the library on one PC from an MC client on another PC.  The changes will show temporarily on the client but will be lost when it next syncs.  You need to set up Authentication on the Server under Tools > Options > Media Network.  Make sure client sync is on for each client PC under Options > Media Network.

I am not trying to create the additional libraries from a client pc, I am using the server pc so shouldn't the changes remain intact or am i just missing something?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:59:56 pm »

If you create a library, you should have full write priveleges.

Make sure you're creating the library at a folder you have full control over.

Also, make sure you don't have Party Mode engaged.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:59:57 pm »

thanks Nick for the reply.
I understand that normally all media is held in the same library, however I do not want it all in the same library for specific reasons and since MC has the ability to have multiple libraries i would rather use them.

I think that NickF's advice is too narrow.  I use more than one library for reasons I understand.  If you know why you want to use more than one library, do it.

When I create a new library, I place the library files (as opposed to the music files themselves) in a folder outside the default AppData sort of location.  Every version of Windows seems to change the implementation  of those folders and the permission situation.

I don't even use the default MainLibrary except for ripping CDs.  I created a library named "perm" located where I wanted it and not subject to any funny business by Windows or JRiver.

Bill

kkapp

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 05:50:57 pm »

i know this is a bit off topic but in playing with the tagging and scheme features i have ran into an unknown, Howdo i tag a ripped DVD of a television show where there are multiple episodes in the TS container? if i tag it as TV show in the media subtype it says there must be a season and series...
Pages: [1]   Go Up