INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: limitted number of folders in DLNA tv?  (Read 1759 times)

damndante

• Recent member
limitted number of folders in DLNA tv?
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:33:50 am »

not sure if this a Media Center issue or if its the DLNA render, but I have a LG-65LM6200 it supports DLNA, and I was quite excited to see that media center can be setup as a DLNA server.  With the tv I can select media center as a input for the TV and browse arts/albums/playlists from my computer upstairs over the lan.  It gets piped via the optical out of the TV to my Onkyo PR-SC886 preamplifier.  It actually sounds quite good (I think better than playing a CD over the blu-ray player straight into the preamplifier).   So this is great!

However, when I browse into the Artists folder, I only get 42 screens worth of artists in alphabetical order so I send up seeing A through T.  Which makes it hard to listen to Van Halen.  So I'm trying to figure out if this a DLNA folder contents limitation, a Media Center bug, or a limitation or Bug in the TV.  And possibly more importantly is there a work around, like could Media Center be configured to have the Artists and Albums display a directory structure by letter.  I am suggesting that rather than displaying all the artists alphabetically, could it instead list the letters (A-Z) and then I could browse down to the letter "V" to get to the list of artist that start with "V"?

Any thoughts?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: limitted number of folders in DLNA tv?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:49:43 am »

not sure if this a Media Center issue or if its the DLNA render, but I have a LG-65LM6200 it supports DLNA, and I was quite excited to see that media center can be setup as a DLNA server.  With the tv I can select media center as a input for the TV and browse arts/albums/playlists from my computer upstairs over the lan.  It gets piped via the optical out of the TV to my Onkyo PR-SC886 preamplifier.  It actually sounds quite good (I think better than playing a CD over the blu-ray player straight into the preamplifier).   So this is great!

However, when I browse into the Artists folder, I only get 42 screens worth of artists in alphabetical order so I send up seeing A through T.  Which makes it hard to listen to Van Halen.  So I'm trying to figure out if this a DLNA folder contents limitation, a Media Center bug, or a limitation or Bug in the TV.  And possibly more importantly is there a work around, like could Media Center be configured to have the Artists and Albums display a directory structure by letter.  I am suggesting that rather than displaying all the artists alphabetically, could it instead list the letters (A-Z) and then I could browse down to the letter "V" to get to the list of artist that start with "V"?

Any thoughts?
It's probably that the TV has a limit. You can change the view scheme to group the artists in any way that you want. Here's a kind of shorthand hint.
Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA servers->[choose server]->customize view  then select audio->artist edit and select grouping.
More info on the wiki.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:52:28 am »

Here's an overview of something that will create a container for artists by first letter (skipping-over The, A, ...), then shows Artist and Album beneath that.  This should give you some ideas of what you can do, and how to generally go about customizing DLNA views.  To get there, Tools > Options > Media Network and then follow the screenshot below.

The expression is from post 2 of this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72309.msg489357#msg489357

so you can copy / paste from there.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

damndante

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 04:03:01 pm »

Sounds good.  I think that workaround (for the TV) should work great.  Just what I was looking for.

Different question, is there a way to run DSP's on the audio stream being pulled by a DLNA device (the tv in this case)?  I wanted to experiment with convoluation and room correction with it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:54:34 pm »

Sounds good.  I think that workaround (for the TV) should work great.  Just what I was looking for.

Different question, is there a way to run DSP's on the audio stream being pulled by a DLNA device (the tv in this case)?  I wanted to experiment with convoluation and room correction with it.
At this time the only DSP functions that are settable with DLNA are volume leveling and sample rate conversion. The goal was to minimize complexity since that section is already quite complex.

Pages: [1]   Go Up