INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS3 audio quality  (Read 2984 times)

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
PS3 audio quality
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:49:21 am »

I am streaming to a PS3 through my home network. My computer is two rooms away from my home theater set up. The network is Ethernet through power lines using trendnet system. I have WMA files at 196 and FLAC files of the same songs to A/B. I have MC set to convert to uncompressed L16 no header. I have two issues. One is that there is no noticeable difference  between the tracks. I have good equipment, Martin Logan speakers and an MK sub. I also have a very good ear, I assure you the problem is not me or the equipment. The other problem (actually the same one) if I A/B the same track on a CD the difference is huge. CD is much better. Clearer, more presence, wider dynamic range and louder. Both the PS3 and the CD player are hooked up with Toslink cable to the receiver, so they both are using the DAC in the receiver.

So is there a setting I am missing on the PS3 or in MC? Is there simply no way to get CD quality over a network? What are my other options?

Thanks for the help!

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: PS3 audio quality
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:13:52 pm »

You might try a couple of things. Under advanced in Audio Conversion, turn off volume leveling if it's on.
Also, the sample rate. I'm not a PS3 expert but I think that it may not do 44.1k natively. In the system settings under audio, there is a place to play with the sample rate. You might try that. If you do you could specify 48k under those same advanced audio options.

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:46:58 pm »

The network is Ethernet through power lines using trendnet system. I have WMA files at 196 and FLAC files of the same songs to A/B. I have MC set to convert to uncompressed L16 no header. I have two issues.

A) How about setting MC to NEVER CONVERT rather than the L16 setting.

B) The ethernet-over-mains method could cause SQ problems.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:16:43 am »

You might try a couple of things. Under advanced in Audio Conversion, turn off volume leveling if it's on.
Also, the sample rate. I'm not a PS3 expert but I think that it may not do 44.1k natively. In the system settings under audio, there is a place to play with the sample rate. You might try that. If you do you could specify 48k under those same advanced audio options.

Turned off volume leveling, that helped a lot, thanks! On the PS3 you can set the output to either 48kHz or 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz. I think the second option sounds better. There is also an option for bitmapping that gives the options of type 1, type 2, type 3 or off. Not sure what to do with those.

Sound is better, closer to CD level. Still not hear a dramatic difference between compressed and uncompressed versions of the same material.

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:22:46 am »

A) How about setting MC to NEVER CONVERT rather than the L16 setting.

B) The ethernet-over-mains method could cause SQ problems.

-Patrick

Thanks for the help Patrick, The never convert selection is not an option as the PS3 is not compatible with FLAC. I read on another thread to use the L16 as a good alternative as it is still an uncompressed format. I get that the over mains method could be a problem, but I don't have a lot of other options other then running ethernet through the crawl space which I could do, but I would want to be sure that it would make a big enough difference before spending the xtra money for all of that cable.

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:55:34 am »

cat5e is cheap.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 05:46:02 pm »

Thanks, had no idea it was that cheap, but will it really make a difference?

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 06:53:23 pm »

dunno.  try it out and let us know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up