INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPNP Renderer Control  (Read 1591 times)

AVI

• Recent member
UPNP Renderer Control
« on: June 09, 2012, 10:03:06 am »

Hi

Is there a specific requirement from a UpnP Renderer that allows it to be controlled fully from within MC? My question relates to MC's use with Naim Audio UpnP Renderers. Although Naim make a UpnP Server, its very single minded so I suggest our customers use MC because its such good media management software for ripping, using with a portable, and since MC 17, using as a UpnP server. The latest version is soooo much faster than it use to be, and compared to stuff like Twonky, light years ahead.

As MC provides control for UpnP Renderers and the JRemote app is a better control app than Naims own, we wanted to allow customers to control their Naim streamers via MC. In testing we have noted that MC recognises the Streamers, can control volume and the Play / Pause function works. It will also report back the Now playing status of the streamer. However no other functionality works and you cannot start playback.

So what are the requirements for full control over a UpnP Renderer?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: UPNP Renderer Control
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 03:46:53 pm »

First, thanks for recommending JRiver :)

Playing media to a renderer is basically as simple as the renderer accepting a call to set the URL and another call to start playback.  But only some renderers support this.

Do you know if any other DLNA controllers (Plug Player, etc.) can get the Naim to play?  If they can, there's hope.  If not, it probably means the Naim doesn't support it.  In that case, we'd have to try to get Naim to add support.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AVI

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:01:22 pm »

Hi Matt

Thanks for the response. Plug Player apparently can control Naim UpnP renderers. I have used Songbook UpnP which also works. I doubt either of these developers have inside knowledge.

Naim make a big deal of saying the renderers are fully UpnP compliant (but they are not DLNA certified that I am aware of).

I have some Wireshark files taken while using Naims own app to control a renderer if these would help in identifying any non standard approach the renderers use.

Use of a functional app like JRemote with these streamers would be very useful. Naims own app is quite limited and does not support play list creation among others. Tying in the streamers with good media management completes a system. The JRemote app is really good and getting better all the time. The beauty of creating playlists etc through it is that the main MC application is storing them all rather than standalone apps like PP etc which are disconnected from the MC application.

Any help I can provide on making MC work with Naim would be greatly appreciated as it would allow us to actively promote the use of MC / Naim systems rather than just using MC as a good ripper / portable interface etc.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:34:09 pm »

I have some Wireshark files taken while using Naims own app to control a renderer if these would help in identifying any non standard approach the renderers use.

Please email the Wireshark traces, along with a link to this thread, to bob at jriver dot com.

He's our DLNA guru.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up