INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need outdoor speakers?  (Read 4441 times)

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Do I need outdoor speakers?
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:49:44 pm »

Hi Everyone,

As mentioned in a previous post, I want to create an audio zone for my outdoor deck area. Running wires is not really practical, so I want it to be wireless. For this, I've chosen the Audioengine W3 transmitter/receiver.

Now, I want to buy some decent powered speakers, which I can mount on the rafters that support the pergola. My question is: as the speakers would be completely protected from rain (i.e., the deck is covered by a pergola, and the speakers will be mounted just under the pergola), do I need to buy speakers specifically designed for outdoor use? Also note that I'm in Sydney, Australia, and it never gets very cold here (minimums are about 8 degC -- about 46 degF).

If I can get away with non-outdoor speakers, can someone please recommend good powered speakers, which have wall mounting hardware (I don't want to spend too much on these -- say below $300 for the pair).

Thanks.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Do I need outdoor speakers?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 10:55:47 pm »

I'm in Sydney as well and given the amount of rain we get and the humidity you will want outdoor speakers.  Mine are made of some resin not MDF like with most speakers (but are not self powered).
JRiver CEO Elect

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: Do I need outdoor speakers?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:43:12 pm »

You could do what I did in the Gazebo in my backyard.
I had an extra set of computer speakers (Altec Lansing ADA-890) so I placed them in the top of the Gazebo and have a 3.5mm mini jack splitter that connects my phone to the inputs on the sub/amp module and then I use WebGizmo to stream from the server to my phone. The speakers aren't easily accessible so I set the volume @ ~90% on the speakers and control volume with the phone.
I am in the process of designing enclosures that open and close via linear actuators when I power the system up/down to prevent weather damage.
I went this route due to the price of decent outdoor speakers and a wireless receiver/transmitter.
Sean
Pages: [1]   Go Up