INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuttering videoplay back after a few minutes runtime  (Read 14488 times)

Bricktop

• Recent member
Re: Stuttering videoplay back after a few minutes runtime
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2012, 10:10:24 pm »

If it helps, here are my benchmark numbers:

Server - 3513
Client 1 - 1323
Client 2 - 1108

Both of the client machines play the movies perfectly if they are not using the remote library, but instead have the "own" library over a network share.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2012, 10:58:52 pm »

Just to double check, you guys did use networked folders and not local hard drive folders when setting up your media folders on your server, correct?  I mention this because your issue sounds identical to the problem I had, and I wanted to make sure you didn't miss my previous post.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 04:42:10 am »

Hi,

I have the inverse of this problem, specifically with The Dark Night blu (ripped bdmv folder structure in all it's glory). Other blu's appear fine (by other I mean Source Code as that's the only other blu I've got ripped at the moment!).

Basically, you know the opening scene where it pans/closes in on the building where 2 of the bank robbers zip line over to the roof of the bank, the first 5 seconds is fine, then I get severe pixellation on the outer parts of the screen for about 3 seconds, then this clears and it subtly goes slow-mo until they shoot out the window, then it's fine.

This happens exactly the same all the time I start from the beginning. No A/V software installed on HTPC.

NAS -> Gb switch -> HTPC. MC 17.0.177, Windows 7 (x86) SP1, ATI 5450 card with latest drivers. Tried both ROSTD and ROHD, LPCM and bitsreaming, WASAPI audio.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2012, 05:06:41 am »

You best open a new topic ldoodle so there aren't different issues crossing each other in the same thread.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2012, 05:47:15 am »

I did think about doing that first, but thought it may be better to tag-along as it's similar issues...

boot77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2012, 06:20:19 pm »

tried the new dll again, after chaning the bookmark option to never in the general item in the option menu. I don't know how to clean the current bookmarks. I could playback a whole movie without a problem. Tried other movies but they did not load at all, but this could be because of they having a bookmark somewhere. I will drop some new movies on the server and test with them tomorrow. The new movies will not have any bookmark history so should all play fine I hope....

client benchmark 2598

boot77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »

Today I had the time to test with three new movies on the server.  They all played without stuttering, both mkv and mds (iso) files. Only the subtitle froze in each movie at a random time.

I will drop an email with 2 log files as on is to big to post. I would like to know how to clear the bookmarks on already bookmarked movies which will not play at all. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2012, 04:35:43 pm »

Press stop twice or edit the tag.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2012, 05:22:52 pm »

Today I had the time to test with three new movies on the server.  They all played without stuttering, both mkv and mds (iso) files. Only the subtitle froze in each movie at a random time.

Was this with the new dll?
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Bricktop

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2012, 08:49:13 am »

I finally got my main HTPC up and running with JRiver and tried the same tests with great results. Without using the new .dll I was able to watch entire movies without a glitch. The only difference I see between my HTPC and my other PCs are speed. My HTPC is much faster than the two that have stuttering, which begs the question, what is JRiver doing when in client/server mode to use more horsepower/bandwidth?  Both of my PCs that stutter during playback only stutter when set as a client, but when streaming from the network using shares the files play perfectly. I have checked the server PC when the stuttering occurs and it doesn't appear to be doing any conversion. When I select a movie from the client and press play, what does the server do? How is JRiver sharing the file?

Bricktop

boot77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2012, 07:17:28 am »

I found a few free evenings to do some testing and watch a few movies.
I tested several movies and all played without trouble the first 20 min. I did not watch the whole movies as the stuttering would have appeared with in the first 5-10 minutes. I tested 2 movies all the way and they played without trouble. Only the subs freeze after 20min, but the rest is fine.

Log file mailed as it was to big to upload (5MB)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 11:36:00 am »

Thanks for the updates.

When playing a video in client-server mode, file is read through network just like playing an YouTube video over the internet.  We add extensive buffering of data on the client machine to make sure playback and seeking is smooth.

The experimental DLL that I sent to you uses a different, less extensive method of buffering data. 

I don't remember whether I asked you to try using a different drive for MC's temporary file location.  If you have not tried that, please try setting it to a different disk drive.  It is under Tools > Options > File Location.  Scroll down to the bottom,  in section "Program Files", you can change the location of Temporary files.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

boot77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2012, 03:57:20 pm »

i  only got i1 drive on the client, it's an SSD drive. Got 13GB free space. I did create a new temp dir on the root of the disk instead of the deep nested temp dir used as default. I installed the latest release 17.0.182. Tried playing 2 movies. No luck, with in 2 minutes sturring appeared. Before trying I did disable ip6 protocol. At work I had some trouble with VMware images and copying data to a virtual image. In this case ip6 was the trouble maker. Anyway I will add the log if not to big. If not I will mail it. Please advice what to try next.

with the special dll all movies played well.  do ahv another partition, would that help?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2012, 09:10:02 pm »

Do you have some software, such as antivirus, that would be "watching" disk accesses?  Maybe it is overly zealous?

boot77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2012, 03:07:19 am »

I do, but as mentioned in earllier posts I did disable them. As i made the new temp dir, i made an exception for the scanner not to scan this folder as well as the j river programm folder itself. Any suggestions what to exclude from scanning as well? Just to be sure I will run a new test with the scanner disabled.

boot77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2012, 05:15:31 pm »

ran a few tests with a double check on the disabled virusscanner, but the same results  :'(, heavy stuttering. I hope there is a solution as I would like to upgrade to the next version with better SACD support  :).

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2012, 09:49:45 am »

Sorry, still no clue.  We will keep working on it.

boot77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2012, 08:21:20 am »

giving it a little bump up fowards

boot77

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2012, 09:27:39 am »

I was happy to see the new beta of MC18. Did install it on the client to see if it made any difference to the stuttering problem. Before installing I did a complete clean W7 64-bit install with the asus unified drivers.

I tested a few movies, my results are. The first 2 minutes or so run fine, then the stuttering begins, but not as heavy as before, video keeps only playing. After 2-5 minutes of stuttering, a fast forward playback starts. It looks like it is overtaking the video it missed during the stutting. After this the video/movie runs fine till it's finished.

I hope the final version of MC 18 does resolve the stuttering problem.

log files are mailed
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up