INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Libraries Share Auto-Import Settings?  (Read 4342 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Multiple Libraries Share Auto-Import Settings?
« on: August 10, 2012, 05:15:46 pm »

The subject pretty much sums it up...
I've got two libraries on one machine, one used for an import/staging area to tag media before it goes to the HTPC and another as a digital-asset-mgmt library for the variety of stuffs that I use projects of one kind or another. To verify this was happening, I checked the watch folders for the "import library", then opened the "DAM library" (saw that the list was the same), then added another watch folder and returned to the "import library" to find the new watch folder added to the list there.

I'm guessing this has to be something strange that I've done with library location or something, but I don't really know where to start looking. How the library is stored in the file system has always been a black voodoo to me, and I've been fine to leave it that way until now...

Tips and suggestions greatly appreciated...
-Jon

Neco

• World Citizen
Re: Multiple Libraries Share Auto-Import Settings?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:38:00 pm »

The Library is stored under your user account.   i.e   on my system it is stored in  C:\Users\Zach\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\

XX being the settings for that specific version if you've ever installed it.
Usually I create a directory with the name of the library,  when adding a library. (Oddly enough I have to Rename that library instead of it adopting the directory name, or asking me for a name, kind of odd imho)

I have never come across this problem though..  I always add / remove  paths through  AutoImport configure whenever a specific library is loaded.
The only time I've had a path stay consistent across libraries, is when changing the  main  "Audio" path in the  main File Location section of the Tools-> Options  window.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:32:17 am »

I've seen this before.

You copied a Library (in Windows Explorer) instead of using MC to create a clone, or restoring from a backup.  Probably because you wanted to make a new Library and use your old one as a starting point (next time, be sure to choose Clone as described below instead).  In any case, something of that sort happened, which caused the Libraries to have matching GUIDs.  Then they reference the same settings in the Windows Registry, and have matching AutoImport settings (and other Library Specific settings).  It is fixable.

There are two ways, depending on if you are picky about the exact folder name where the Libraries are stored on disk.

1. Open the Library Manager in MC (under Playing Now in the tree).
2. Select the first Library that has the problem, and choose Clone Library on the right-hand side.
3. Pick a new location for the Library and save it.  Give it a name like "My Library Duplicate".
4. Repeat steps 2-3 for any other "affected" Libraries.  (Technically, you'd only need to do it to one of a "pair" to break the link, but I've found once you get this messed up, better to start fresh with totally new GUIDs.)
5. Delete the original copies of the Libraries.
6. Rename the new ones back to match the original names.

If, instead, you're picky about what folder (on disk) the libraries are stored in, here's an alternative method:

1. Open the Library Manager in MC (under Playing Now in the tree).
2. Load the first Library that has the problem, and make a backup of it.
3. Delete the Library from MC (switch to the other Library that has the problem, in the meanwhile).
4. In Windows Explorer, find the Library's folder on disk, and delete or rename it.  Make a new, empty folder with the proper name for the new "copy".
5. Open MC back up.  Create a new, blank library, and choose the folder you just made.
6. Restore your backup to this new, blank Library.  DO NOT choose to restore settings, only the Library itself (or you could end up with the old Libraries re-loaded, since the Library Manager's list of libraries is included in the backup).
7. Repeat 2-6 above for any other affected Libraries.

You may need to set up your Auto-Import Folders from scratch with these methods.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:18:36 am »

Thanks for the thorough explanation!

You copied a Library (in Windows Explorer) instead of using MC to create a clone, or restoring from a backup.
I thought I had created a new library then restored from a backup, but I'm guessing whatever I did had the same net effect as what you're describing. I definitely went with a "this seems like it should work" approach to creating the new libraries.

I've followed your instructions (first set, not worried too much about file system names) and they worked perfectly for one library, but for the second I am unable to delete the original library. The option doesn't show up and is grayed out under the right-click menu. Any ideas why?

Also, I'm guessing that the answer is "go ahead and fix it" either way, but would you expect this to cause any issues across two different machines? My HTCP/Server library was used to create both of these originally.

-Jon

Edit: Just as a heads up to anyone who finds this later on, you will need to create your auto-import settings from scratch again. So take notes if you've got a complicated setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up