INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Madvr: I want to use it but....  (Read 2628 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Madvr: I want to use it but....
« on: June 18, 2012, 12:45:56 am »

Until recently, I had been forcing MC to use EVR with ROHQ due to stability issues when using MadVR. I say recently because I decided to give Mad another go on the weekend. It was by no means a bad experience but it still exposed a few issues:-

1/ Occasional black screen when playing a BD disc. I can't reproduce this at will but it happened at least twice. Both times required me to kill MC via taskmgr.

2/ Failed to enter Exclusive mode. Much less frequent than it used to be but it still occurred a couple of times. Stopping and re-starting playback solves the issue.

3/ 5x, 10x, 100x seeks do not show on-screen progress for MKV BD rips. You just get a freezed frame although the seeks do appear to be working. On-screen progress works perfectly well with EVR.

I really want to use Mad but I'm still not convinced it's worth the "effort"? Anyone else?
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Madvr: I want to use it but....
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:45:05 am »

Firstly, Can you use madVR in Windowed Mode (eg NOT exclusive mode) without dropping frames?  If so you get a few advantages (no switching between modes on some OSD stuff) but the disadvantage is it is more susceptible to dropped frames.

Also what, is your GPU and CPU?  You will also need to check what Driver is a "good" one for madVR pending your answer!

I'm just running the i7-2600K's HD3000 which I'd say is the minimum for madVR (with a few tweaks).  I have to run in exclusive mode but I get no dropped from and I've not seen a Black Screen or Failed to enter Exclusive mode on this GPU (I did see it on nvidia).
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:56:35 am »

I'm using an i5 and an amd 67xx gpu. When madvr is running ok, I can play an entire movie without a single dropped frame. In fact, when it works, it works flawlessly. Most issues I have (items 1 & 2)  seem to occur when stopping and starting playback repeatedly (one after another).

Haven't tried windowed. I dont really see the point. I mean I might as well use evr in that case.

Thanks for the reply. I'll press on with it and see how things go. I've made some tweaks so hopefully that will help.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:18:07 am »

MadVR output is the same quality in either Windowed or Exclusive mode and your system has heaps of horse power so I'd give windowed mode a go if I was you (as it may solve some of your useability issues)
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:44:03 pm »

MadVR output is the same quality in either Windowed or Exclusive mode and your system has heaps of horse power so I'd give windowed mode a go if I was you (as it may solve some of your useability issues)

Agreed.  I had (before it died) a very similar setup and ROHQ works fine with MadVR in Windowed mode.

On my new Ivy, it doesn't even break a sweat.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 02:45:25 pm »

I use it in windowed mode as well right now, the system is plenty fast and i see no reason to bother with exclusive mode because of some of the annoyances.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 03:10:37 pm »

Perhaps this should be the default for ROHQ?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 03:59:26 pm »

Trouble is Exclusive Mode has a wider range of HW that will run without dropping frames so I'd leave it as it is.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 09:27:40 pm »

...from the madVR thread: There is a new Beta Driver out for nVidia GPU's and the release notes indicate a fix for Black Screen with MadVR - http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-304-48-beta-drivers-released/

Media Player Classic Home Cinema displays a black screen during playback when using the MadVR video renderer
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 11:40:13 pm »

The latest WHQL driver already fixed that bug, their changelog seems to be a bit behind. :p
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 11:41:10 pm »

Perhaps this should be the default for ROHQ?

I believe it actually is.
When there is no madVR config, i think ROHQ will setup a default config of madVR with exclusive off.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up