INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you (or a friend) buy a Mac version of JRiver Media Center if it were possible?

Yes
- 80 (40%)
Probably
- 13 (6.5%)
Maybe
- 14 (7%)
No
- 93 (46.5%)
I don't know
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 197

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Would you buy MC on OS X ?  (Read 40015 times)

bulldogger

• World Citizen
Re: POLL: Would you buy MC on OS X ?
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2012, 05:38:55 pm »

I asked a friend who only uses Mac computers. His response was yes because of the DSD support. One software to play everything is very attractive. He makes the point that to be THE, media software, a company need to cover all systems so,"just for ...," is not part of the equation but ,"for everyone," is.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2012, 01:13:37 am »

Apple is not the evil empire... Actually, Apple builds quality products.  The evil empire is Microsoft, and the only thing that Microcrap is good at is copying other companies ideas for products.

You seem to be the only one ranting about an evil empire in this thread.

Bill

abrise

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2012, 07:03:12 am »

I am already using JRiver media center on my Macbook pro. I use the mac only when I travel but I am allergic to Itunes. I have purchased a license of vmware fusion and a copy of windows7 for the only purpose to have JRiver mediacenter on my Mac! And it works very well even if in that case it cannot be bit perfect which I don't mind. I have some music on the hard disk but most of my library is in Flac on my home computer and I can listen to it in a Hotel anywhere on my mac and high quality Bluetooth headphones .
So yes of course I will buy a Mac version of JRiver but it must have the database and audio functionalities of the windows version. ie flac, dlna, remote access.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2012, 07:21:43 am »

homeserver gain in popularity. redmont has missed that train. besides audio and video level unmatched in my opinion MC is unrivaled powerfull in a streaming / remote environment...in would favor a linux package for the synologies/qnap's of this world....just a thought. Apple is certainly represented in the audiophile world but definitly more on the creation (studio recording ala protools) front.

Dripps

« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2012, 07:55:56 am »

I am previous user from the early days of JRiver Media Center.  I switched to OSX and probably my only loss was this program! I now use iTunes but would purchase MC in a heartbeat!
I realize that most or all here are windows users but I'm disappointed to see such negative attitudes towards OSX.  My switch to Mac came after using both windows and Mac.  I'm much happier with my Apple products.  To each his own but being close minded and steadfast in the "I will never use an apple product" might be limiting your options.

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2012, 10:22:07 pm »

As a long time Media Center user before switching to Macs a couple years ago, I would be very interedsted in buying MC for Mac. I heard about this through your email that mentioned it.

You might post your poll on the MacRumors Forum to gauge the interest in your software for OSX. Pretty meaningless here with so many Apple haters.  Their opinion is pretty much irrelevant since they will not be your target market anyway. Mac users are ripe for an iTunes competitor. Lots of profit potential. Good luck! 

shAf

« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2012, 02:23:15 pm »

You should have asked the same question in a way that didn't invite non-Mac users to vote.  I have a sneaky suspicion most of the 'no' votes come from users who would never purchase a Mac ... probably because they hate iTunes as much as I do(!)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2012, 09:15:52 am »

Yes, Oh Yes

For me, and I've used MC since version 10, I prefer the Mac hardware.  In truth I only maintain a Windows 7 box because of MC.  That doesn't make me a PC hater, far from it. I use PC at work all the time and I can't UK hospitals moving to a Mac platform in my lifetime.

I also think the Mac platform is a huge business opportunity for MC.  itunes is a pile of ?, but a nice little mac mini attached to some decent HiFi would be heaven for a huge bunch of people.

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2012, 05:34:58 pm »

I'd get MC in a heartbeat if it became available for the Mac.  Used to use MC, but have been forced to iTunes as my world shifted to macs... and I could use VM Ware etc, but I don't want to deal with the hassle.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2012, 10:03:50 pm »

As a Mac and iTunes user I would be seriously interested especially when it appears Apple with the upcoming iTunes 11 is heading more and more towards a product aimed specifically as iOs support and streaming/cloud type system. I would be interested in both library management and playback capabilities.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

BushPilot

• Recent member
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2012, 10:54:18 pm »

I like JRM 15 in Win xp. Tried Linux too but prefer sound quality I am getting with Win XP. Found sound quality of Win 7 inferior to XP.  Don't plan on moving to OSX.

Bill :)

PeteG

• Recent member
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2012, 08:58:48 am »

I voted yes too, would buy it as soon as it comes out.

happy5

• Recent member
  • Media Center all the way...
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2012, 03:44:41 pm »

I moved to a Mac some years ago, and there is absolutely no product like this for Mac. iTunes, for all its hype, is awful and sucks when managing a large, meticulously tagged collection. For example, it tags things the way it wants, does not read tags properly (some albums labeled as artists), and little advanced features.

By the way, that "large, meticulously tagged collection" was organized using Media Center. In fact, iTunes screwed up my media files and copied them all over the place.

I am writing this on a Mac, and 2 years of using Songbird on Mac, I installed VMware Fusion just to use Media Center!

So yes, please develop a Media Center for Mac. People that say "develop for Linux" are in a minority - how many mainstream users use Linux? And while Android is a very decent OS, it is mostly smartphone and tablet based.

Will Media Center "replace" iTunes? No! People use it to sync their iPads and i-devices, plus many official account changes must be done through iTunes. It sucked when Microsoft integrated IE into Windows, and it sucks now that Apple is doing it with iTunes, but those are the rules made by the ones playing the game.

For one, I would love a Mac option. Sell it for half the price for a limited time and prepare yourself for some serious revenue. 

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2012, 04:34:49 pm »

I vote "no" because I believe the future is not Win, not OSX but Android.
A tablet connected to a DAC over USB pulling its data from a NAS is my preferred setup.

I like this idea as well though how does one export the signal from the droid based tablet to a USB DAC?

There are plenty of good idevice docks out there that supply a good signal to a DAC & even some decent idocks with  built in digital analog converters. I'd rather use what I am familiar with, droid, but in the immediate future I'd settle for 16 bit sound from an iPad with JR MC installed.

How long until we see MC on a droid that can be hardwired to DAC via USB?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2012, 04:41:44 pm »

Here's a progress report on our Mac version:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75129.0

taschi71

• Recent member
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2012, 10:03:01 am »

I've started to replace all windows machines in our office with macs.
Cheaper(!) on the long term and hassle free.

I seem to be able to find replacement software for everything except one thing.... building playlists that include images, audio and video. Sounds simple but there's nothing that would do that on a mac.

So I have to buy windows lincenses again to do my job ... I wish I could just give you guys the money instead.

:(

sirganty

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2012, 08:41:42 am »

I've owned a few "real" macs and built a couple of hackintoshes over the past few years, and the only reason I boot into windows at all is for MC and gaming.

Everything else I use a computer for is much slicker / friendlier / better on OSX (this is a personal opinion so please don't get touchy!), so I would most definitely buy an OSX version to allow me to move almost entirely away from the bloatware known as windows!

I've used several alternatives for media browsing & metadata management on OSX; itunes, plex, xbmc etc
and whilst plex and xbmc are very slick and pretty for 10 foot use, they don't stack up playback quality wise to MC.

I've also used "quality" driven applications such as amarra and pure music, which prove that the audio quality is also possible on OSX.
But these don't stack up from a media management perspective, very expensive, and also aren't particularly user-friendly for an HTPC (even "her indoors" is now more than capable of using MC in theater view with a logitech harmony!)

There are also uPnP servers for OSX which work very well; ps3 media server being one of the best (from the top of my head) in particular for transcoding on the fly, but this is completely disconnected from the media library so not very convenient.

So as you can see, I think MC for OSX would really fit a niche market, and a market not known for being tight with cash either!

From what I understand, it should be technically easier to develop for OSX than windows, due to the confined hardware support requirements (assuming you don't condone encourage hackintoshes!), and generally better internal kernel and audio device control (e.g. native class 2 usb 32/384 support, easier bit-perfect playback etc).
Although there would no doubt be a steep learning curve in the early days.

kentuckian

« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2012, 02:48:42 am »

YES!  I used MC for years.  Now I have a mac and I'm trying to use iTunes and it's torture.  I can't control or do anything.  I check every couple months for news for a mac version and I would definitely buy it as soon as I learned it was available. 

shAf

« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2012, 06:53:28 am »

It would interesting if JR could share its imagined timeline for developing "MC for OSX". That is ... even if JR delivers a player next year, will we still be relying on MC+Windows to serve up its library for some time after?

I need to replace my 3yo PC soon, but the need isn't urgent --  come next year, should I be considering a new PC or a Mac Mini?

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2012, 07:59:58 am »

I've posted what we know in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75129.0

If you have any specific questions, please post there. 

We expect a Mac audio version in a couple of months.  It will have perhaps 80% of the audio feature set of MC.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up