INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing BluRay .iso files in MC17  (Read 8670 times)

stever1954

Playing BluRay .iso files in MC17
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:58:51 pm »

? I recently downloaded MC17 and I think it is excellent, although I have not been able to work out how to play BluRay .iso files.

I followed the very comprehensive instructions given by Sandy B Ridge in another topic and have managed to import all my BluRay .iso files into the library, but when I try and play them I get a scrambled picture and no sound.

The software I was using before (ArcSoft Total Media Theatre 5) required the .iso to be mounted as a virtual drive using Virtual CloneDrive - do I need to do something similar with MC17? If so, is there a way I can "automate" the process as I can't seem to find a "mount" option in the "Play" menu?

Thanks in advance for your help on this
Best regards
Steve

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing BluRay .iso files in MC17
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:56:49 pm »

I don't use iso anymore, so things may have changed, but when I did, I used the Slysoft program Virtual Clone Drive. Then I would go into Windows Explorer and right click on the iso and select "Open With" and select Virtual Clone Drive. After that anytime my player was directed to an iso it would automatically use VirtualClone Drive. And I think in the VCD program you can tell it to unmount at program stop.
Maybe someone else can clarify.
However, its really easier to rip to MKV or Blu-ray folder structure now days. ISO is a data disk format and confuses MC. In MC you need to be sure to set Media Type to Video and Media Sub Type to Movie if you want everything to work (such as Carnac).

stever1954

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 08:17:51 am »

Hi CB, many thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I have already got about 300 DVD .iso's and around 50 BluRay .iso's so I don't really fancy re-ripping them all!

Thanks again

Best

Steve

gingellr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:31:09 am »

Hi Steve,

Yes it can be automated as thats how i play my iso's

You still need vcd to mount the iso but this can be automated through MC

If you go into options/file types, set up the iso file type to use an external programe (VCD).
then under options cd,dcd,bd select play for auto play bluray.

Now when you click on a video(iso) in MC it will auto mount using VCD then play.

stever1954

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:34:30 am »

Hi gingellr, that is exactly what I wanted and it works perfectly so thank you very much indeed!!

Best

Steve

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 11:30:50 am »

Best way to ensure you can have good stability and same PQ as source, is using MakeMKV (free). You can also opt-out extras and unneeded audio/subtitle streams for smaller size. MakeMKV does not transcode anything, so no quality loss and the process is fast (about 5-15mins).
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:15:16 pm »

You can convert iso's to video_ts/bdmv folder by unzipping them with archiving software.

iso's may gain in popularity if 3d ever takes off.
I believe that 3d blu ray rips are half the size in iso form when compared to the same rip in folder form.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 07:12:23 pm »

Hi gingellr, that is exactly what I wanted and it works perfectly so thank you very much indeed!!

Best

Steve

I also happilly used this setup for a while. I just tries it now with a remote library. iso's in remote library do not mount on the client. Instead I have a password request which opens in a internet explorer window which just does nothing.
Is there a way to have BD iso's of remote library mounted on the client like it does with a local library.
Any help is appreciated.....

_mulder

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:01 pm »

I also happilly used this setup for a while. I just tries it now with a remote library. iso's in remote library do not mount on the client. Instead I have a password request which opens in a internet explorer window which just does nothing.
Is there a way to have BD iso's of remote library mounted on the client like it does with a local library.
Any help is appreciated.....

If anybody is aware of how to fix this, I'd really be gratefull since I think I had the exact same problem and was never able to resolve it while I was trying MC.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 04:58:10 pm »

Did you see these instructions: (in the Wiki)?
 have made a couple of updates to these to ensure that the .iso files will mount OK when the .iso file is on a server and you want to play on a client.

Playing .iso DVD and Blu-Ray rips with JRiver Media Center

1.  Go to Tools > Options > File types.  Under "Data", click on "Disk Image Files" and at the bottom of the window, select your preferred Playback Method from the drop down list.
    Automatic can be used on the server and will mount the .iso into VCD (Virtual Clone Drive - currently free from Slysoft).  If you use a different virtual drive, choose "Custom" and enter your program details.
    External Program (Custom) should be used on a client.  Browse to the folder where your virtual drive .exe file is and select that file.  For VCD, this will be
    Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe. 
2.  Go to Tools > CD, DVD & BD and, under "Auto-Play" for each of the relevant disc types, select Play.
3.  .iso files are currently treated by MC as Data.   Your library import needs to include these file types.
4.  Go to Tools > Options > Library & Folders.  Under "Auto-Import, Configure auto-import, select the folder or folders where your .iso files are stored, click on Edit and ensure that the Data box is checked.
5.  Go to File > Library > Import and click on the Radar Button for "Run Auto-Import Now".  This may take a while to complete.
6.  In the left pane of the main window, click on Documents then Files.  Your .iso files should show in the right pane.  Right click on the title bar for the columns and check Media Type and Media Sub-Type in the drop down list.  This will cause these columns/Fields to show.
7.  For your .iso files, Media Type will show as Data.  Right click on Data and select Rename.  Select Video from the drop down list.  Right click on the blank entry in the Media Sub-Type column and select Rename and select Movie.
8.  You may need to rename the file Name.
9.  In the left pane, select Video then Files.  Scroll to find your file.
10. Right click on the file and select "Get Movie & TV Info" and select one of the data sources.  This will populate many of the fields and insert Cover Art.
11. In order to get these movies to play smoothly, it is necessary to use madVR to change the frame rate.  In madVR settings, under "devices" > "your display" > "display modes" enter the display modes required for the movie types you have, e.g. 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60, 1080p59.
12. You are now done.  Double click the file and it should play.  It will take a few seconds for the image to be mounted and for play to start.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 05:24:03 am »

Did you see these instructions: (in the Wiki)?
 have made a couple of updates to these to ensure that the .iso files will mount OK when the .iso file is on a server and you want to play on a client.

Playing .iso DVD and Blu-Ray rips with JRiver Media Center

1.  Go to Tools > Options > File types.  Under "Data", click on "Disk Image Files" and at the bottom of the window, select your preferred Playback Method from the drop down list.
    Automatic can be used on the server and will mount the .iso into VCD (Virtual Clone Drive - currently free from Slysoft).  If you use a different virtual drive, choose "Custom" and enter your program details.
    External Program (Custom) should be used on a client.  Browse to the folder where your virtual drive .exe file is and select that file.  For VCD, this will be
    Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe.  
2.  Go to Tools > CD, DVD & BD and, under "Auto-Play" for each of the relevant disc types, select Play.
3.  .iso files are currently treated by MC as Data.   Your library import needs to include these file types.
4.  Go to Tools > Options > Library & Folders.  Under "Auto-Import, Configure auto-import, select the folder or folders where your .iso files are stored, click on Edit and ensure that the Data box is checked.
5.  Go to File > Library > Import and click on the Radar Button for "Run Auto-Import Now".  This may take a while to complete.
6.  In the left pane of the main window, click on Documents then Files.  Your .iso files should show in the right pane.  Right click on the title bar for the columns and check Media Type and Media Sub-Type in the drop down list.  This will cause these columns/Fields to show.
7.  For your .iso files, Media Type will show as Data.  Right click on Data and select Rename.  Select Video from the drop down list.  Right click on the blank entry in the Media Sub-Type column and select Rename and select Movie.
8.  You may need to rename the file Name.
9.  In the left pane, select Video then Files.  Scroll to find your file.
10. Right click on the file and select "Get Movie & TV Info" and select one of the data sources.  This will populate many of the fields and insert Cover Art.
11. In order to get these movies to play smoothly, it is necessary to use madVR to change the frame rate.  In madVR settings, under "devices" > "your display" > "display modes" enter the display modes required for the movie types you have, e.g. 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60, 1080p59.
12. You are now done.  Double click the file and it should play.  It will take a few seconds for the image to be mounted and for play to start.

Thanks as far as I'm concerned yes I red the wiki but you are miss-understanding the issue. The problem is not to have an iso file stored on the server to mount and play on the client. The problem happens when you try to play the exact same file through a remote library. To be clear : your server MC holds iso files -> they have been imported in the server MC according the instructions (and show under video everything's fine)-> the client htpc uses this remote library -> when clicking to play the iso based videos on the client in stead of having the iso getting streamed to it and mounted it opens an internet explorer window with credentials. (UPDATE : I think I understand that the client-remote link used by JRiver is http based and can therefore not pass iso per se - but not sure I'm getting the technical details right)  -

My home server runs on a OrigenaeS21 case so it holds a display and everything : when I go to the server and click on the file locally again it plays.

My Workaround is pretty straight forward : I will keep my iso stored somewhere and will convert most iso's into BDMV (which for mounted iso's goes really fast) The negative is that server storage space explodes but I do wanna keep my iso as this remains my format of choice for storing . The BDMV folders work like a charm when called by a client.
Even better as I require full BD menu support, I run TMT5 on the client HTPC. So I got stuck (and had an other tread opened for that) as I had to pass only the BDMV folder to TMT and not the index.file which MC has as regular target. The solution was really simple and demonstrated to me the endless power of JRiver MC. On the server library (which is my main library) I just opened up a new field called "TMT launcher" -> then with the expression builder I made a formula so that the field holds just the relative path to the file up to its containing folder (thus not down to the file). - > on the client then under file & formats I use tmt5 (MCE plugin) as external player and as argument I select my field "TMT launcher".

Works like a charm - now when clicking on the BD in theater view, TMT in it's MCE form (which is remote friendly) opens and plays the BD with full menu support. When I'm finished and I press back on the remote I'm back to MC17's theater view.......just perfect !
Pages: [1]   Go Up