INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slowness in theater view and stuck thumbs possibly due to hard drives?  (Read 1350 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Hi,

For the past few months I have noticed that theater view is unusually slow when backing out of views and that cover art, especially for movies, gets stuck when viewing other movies in the file info panel.

Since it only happens occasionally this has been hard to pin down. I believe it only happens when the 4 3tb USB hard drives I have need to spin up either after waking from sleep or after long periods of inactivity such as after playing music from my internal SSD. It seems they only start to hum when these issues in theater view pop up.

I can totally understand if it takes MC 3-5 sec to open and play an mkv movie from one of the external HDs since I don't want them in 'active' mode all the time, but is there a reason why MC needs to access those HDs when navigating in theater view?  Aren't all of the thumbs and other view data stored on the same drive that MC is running on which would be my SSD?

If there are any settings in MC or windows 7 that could affect this, please let me know.

Thanks
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

datdude

• MC Beta Team

When I open Resource Monitor, I can see that MC is accessing the cover art jpegs on my external hard drives, because that is where my movies are stored. I'm pretty sure this is why the system freezes every so often because the drives were not spun up and MC needs to access these files.

Is there anyway I can have MC store ALL cover art on my internal SSD? I can't edit the Image File tag to change the location.

If not, can you please add this as a feature? :-)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen

-If not, can you please add this as a feature?

I store my cover art as folder.jpg in the movie folder, which is on a NAS drive. I think it would be good if you could keep folder.jpgs in the movie folder, but MC caches these locally and uses them for display.

This way multiple machines use folder.jpg as the source so they don't all have to go out to the internet to get covert art (which I don't want anyway as I am not happy with internet based covert art as it's not consistent so I download and resise them all manually!).

datdude

• MC Beta Team

Looks like this has been requested before but for different reasons: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70168.0

It sounds like my only option would be to replace the hard drives (currently Seagate goflex drives) with faster ones to avoid these long, sometime as much as 10 seconds, delays?

datdude

• MC Beta Team

Partially solved this via the suggestion posted here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58484.msg396146#msg396146

So far stuck thumbs and view slowness issues are gone.

This is not ideal since every new file will point the cover art to an external drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up