INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to create a dynamic view container in Gizmo (JRemote)?  (Read 1411 times)

AMP

• Recent member

I'm using JRemote to control my installation of MC18 and I'm wondering if there's a way to create a dynamic browsing view in order to better drill-down when trying to browse my library.

Probably easiest to explain with an example:

I have a browse category limited to files with the genre "classical." I would like to select that category and be presented with a listing of relevant tags for that genre (composer, conductor, artist, soloists, orchestra, etc). When I select any one of those tag categories I'm presented with a list of the available tags. After selecting a tag (say composer= Tchaikovsky) I'm then presented with another list of tag categories (soloists, conductor, artist, etc) which I can use to further narrow down my search until I find what I want.

So, for instance, if were in the mood for something featuring the violin I could start by choosing Intrument=violin, then solosit= Heifetz, then choose a composer that sounds interesting, etc.

I realize that all of this can be done with static views (a lot of them), but I find that I never go looking for something the same way twice.

Both the Asset and Minimserver UPnP server products provide this capability and it's a great way to go digging for something new in a large classical library.

Is there any way to accomplish this with JRiver and, if not, is there enough demand for something like this that it may be considered for a future release?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Any way to create a dynamic view container in Gizmo (JRemote)?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 02:40:27 pm »

I think the best you can do is build up the category browse tree via expressions.  For example, your category can be an expression that checks if the [genre] is classical, then it can produce one or more sub-categories such as soloists, conductor, artist, etc.

Try this idea.  Define a Categories view, and add Genre as the first category just to get you started.  Then add a second Category, as an expression:

if(isequal([genre], Classical), Composers\[Composer];Instrument\[Instrument];Soloist\[Soloist];Artists\[Artist], [Artist])&datatype=[list]

Now for all non-classical albums, you'll be browsing by Artist.  For Classical, you'll have Composer, Instrument, Soloist, and Artist containers.  Semicolon creates new containers in a list type, and the backslash provides the hierarchy.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up