INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room correction. How to.  (Read 1165 times)

TMA-1

• World Citizen
Room correction. How to.
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:51 pm »

Ok, the way I understand it you use a room analyzing software like Rev together with a mic to get some type of room characterization file saved and then imported it into JRiver which then manipulate the sound in a way that compensates the room flaws? Is this correct?

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
Re: Room correction. How to.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:57:42 pm »

Yes, that is the point... I am not using this feature (convolution) so I cannot provide more info...
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 06:28:33 pm »

Ok, the way I understand it you use a room analyzing software like Rev together with a mic to get some type of room characterization file saved and then imported it into JRiver which then manipulate the sound in a way that compensates the room flaws? Is this correct?

There are different flavours of Room Correction.  The standard DSP Room Correction provides timing corrections to compensate for differences in speaker positions.  This will help to tighten up the sound stage.  Convolution is a very much more sophisticated solution which compensates for other room effects which impact on frequency response, reverberation etc.  With this, you use a microphone and software like Audiolense to analyse the room characteristics and create a filter file which is loaded into MC17 Convolution.  The effects can be stunning but it is far from straightforward!

There are threads on this forum which discuss this in considerable detail.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:20:44 am »

I see. Then it is convolution that I'm most interested in. Is it possible to create filter files in Room EQ Wizard (REW)? I'm more familiar with that software, and it's free =)

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:42:28 am »

I haven't used REW.  I went for Audiolense which isn't free but is quite highly regarded.  There are several threads on Convolution on the forum, the most comprehensive is this one:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68828.0

When I began, I got some basic help on this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69312.0

There is a new thread just started here which you may want to see:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73003.0

Good luck.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10
Pages: [1]   Go Up