INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags not stored in DST compressed DFF files ?  (Read 3810 times)

rotho

• Recent member
Tags not stored in DST compressed DFF files ?
« on: June 27, 2012, 03:21:51 am »

Congratulations to your excellent work to promote DSD !  :D

I have ripped all my SACDs and I have chosen the DSF file format because the metadatas are more filled by default than in the DFF file format. (If somebody can explain why the sacd_extract command fills more metedatas in the dff files than in the dsf ones, I am curious to know the answer : the information is taken from the .iso file, so why can't the metadatas be put in both file formats ?  ?)

Anyway, the drawback of the DSF file format is that it is not compressed and, when you have a lot of SACDs (in my case, more than 350), it takes a lot of disk space (near 1Tb, and it is only for the 2ch versions  :o). So, I decided to give a try to the DST compressed DFF file format (which allows a gain of more than 2x of file size  :)). I used the Copy/Paste tags commands to tag the dff files with the information of the dsf files.

Now, my problem is that apparently the tag information is not stored INSIDE the DST compressed DFF files  :-[. I made the following tests :
1) I deleted the files from my library, and re-imported them : I found my tags back in the DSF and DST compressed DFF files.
2) I re-deleted the files from my library, then changed the names of the folders containing the dsf and dff files, and re-imported them : I found my tags back only in the DSF files, but not in the DST compressed DFF files.

That is strange, because, when I pasted the tags in the DST compressed DFF files, I saw that the dff files had been modified (the date of modification changed), but it seems that the info is stored elsewhere...  ?

So, is it impossible to store the tags INSIDE the DST compressed DFF files, as it is done for example for the FLAC files (which is also a compressed file format) ?

Or am I doing sth wrong ?  ?

pacwin

• Recent member
Re: Tags not stored in DST compressed DFF files ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 03:49:56 am »

Storage is cheap why bother with compression. Why add to global warming by decompressing your files upon every playback. DST files do not ordinairily have tags. The tag data is stored in the JRiver database. You can opt to either write the tags from the database to the files or read the tags from the file to the database. Since there is no where to go with DST files when you tag them you are tagging the database, and its the location of the file that associates the database tag with the DST files. As you have discovered the SACD ripper software works but has many bugs with metadata and file naming etc. Tagging DSF files makes your data more portable should the JRiver crew get bubonic plague or something better comes along.

rotho

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 04:05:13 am »

Storage is cheap why bother with compression. Why add to global warming by decompressing your files upon every playback.

You have a point here, but I wanted to save (physical) space and not have to buy yet 2 other HDDs : one for music, and one for backup. And I also have to store the original .iso files (which cannot be tagged inside...) for archiving purpose (if, for example, I have a mch setup in the future and want to extract the mch versions...).

Since there is no where to go with DST files when you tag them you are tagging the database, and its the location of the file that associates the database tag with the DST files.

That I don't understand : why is it possible to store tags inside FLAC files and not inside DST compressed DFF files ?

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:18:18 am »

Rothko, I extracted in the same manner as yourself. Seagate has a new 3tb expansion drive STBV3000100 that I purchased on Amazon for 139.00 shipped. My collection is about 250 SACDs but I saw where it was headed. The external drive I already have is 2Tb. It is almost certain that I will purchase another 3tb expansion drive as the 2tb backs up my PC and is not going to be large enough to back both my library and PC. 280.00 seems like a reasonable expenditure for 6tb of storage.

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 06:40:09 am »

It occurred to me that if the libary tool was capable of converting dsd to flac, that might be a solution.

rotho

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:20:31 am »

Certainly not !!!!  :o

I want to keep the DSD format intact, so the conversion from DSD to PCM is not an option for me. Now, I just have to find the right DSD DAC...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:23 am »

Only DSF files support tags (ID3v2).  This makes them a better choice than DFF in my opinion, but you don't get DST compression.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up