INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can anyone clarify what the "Date" library field is intended to be used for?  (Read 1084 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

I am doing some house keeping and was wondering what the logic is behind the main "Date" field. If I type 06/15/1975 in there - I see that Year is immediately filled as well. (most likely Day, Month too - but I do not have those displayed in the Tag Editor panel).

My intent here is to place the actual "release" date of an album in this field. Would that be a good use of this field or is it's logical purpose as a "provided" field (that cannot be edited) - for something completely different? Like maybe something to do with actual file storage dates etc?

I would like to clarify this before I get crazy and start some major filling - in case MC decides to refill it will some other logical date with some future revision etc.

If anyone else is storing "release date" - what choices did you make to accommodate this?

Cheers,

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I think 'Date' is the correct field.

Day, Month, and Year and just calculated off the single 'Date'.

You can create user date fields, but I don't see any reason since 'Date' is assumed to be the release date for audio files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

I've always used Year I think, or at least when I had to fill it in manually on new imported albums.

What's the difference then between using one or the other?

xplain

• Galactic Citizen

I've always used Year I think, or at least when I had to fill it in manually on new imported albums.
What's the difference then between using one or the other?

The Year field can only hold the year, ex. 1993
The Date field can hold a complete date, ex. 02-06-1993

Ex. If you manually fill the date field with 1993, then MC will automaticaly fill the Year field with 1993 (and Vice versa)
If You manually fill the date field with 02-06-1993, MC will fill the year field with 1993, the month field with June
and the day field with 02.

No matter if you type the year in the date or the year field you can then make it fill in a decade.

A screenshot to show you how to set up a decade field.

Pages: [1]   Go Up