INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC17 with Logitech Media Server?  (Read 1866 times)

PatrickC

• Recent member
MC17 with Logitech Media Server?
« on: June 22, 2012, 04:33:08 pm »

For a Squeezebox Touch and a Vortexbox Appliance I've installed Logitech Media Server. I've since discovered MC 17. Do I only need one, MC? I'm curious about my other a/v software but I would be happy just to get this question answered. I hope I worded it better this time.
Patrick
Patrick
Assassin HTPC, Onkyo TX-NR929, Oppo BDP-83, Vortex Appliance NAS, Logitech SB Touch, GoldenEar Triton 7, GoldenEar SCX, 4 NHT Super Ones(Height & Surr.), Sunfire True Sub, WDTV Live Streaming, plus incomplete WHA.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC17 with Logitech Media Server?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 05:14:55 pm »

Do a Google search for Whitebear.  It can connect MC to Squeezebox using DLNA.  You could read about DLNA on our wiki.

Jong

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 03:52:56 am »

Whitebear works well for simple single device playback, but here it is completely useless for sync'd playback. MC and my touch play about 2 secs out of sync! And the tools in MC to correct this dont seem to work, it is like something in the chain corrects for any adjustment you make. There is a pause while MC tries to adjust the delays, but afterwards the delay is exactly the same. Anyone any ideas?

Latest LMS has its own DLNA server, but I've yet to compare sync using that instead of Whitebear.

PatrickC

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:07 pm »

I did not ask "how to do this". I'm asking do you have to have both on your computer? Or would you have both on your computer? Is there duplication here? I'm not fluent in either yet. And yes I'm reading the Wiki.
Patrick
Patrick
Assassin HTPC, Onkyo TX-NR929, Oppo BDP-83, Vortex Appliance NAS, Logitech SB Touch, GoldenEar Triton 7, GoldenEar SCX, 4 NHT Super Ones(Height & Surr.), Sunfire True Sub, WDTV Live Streaming, plus incomplete WHA.

Jong

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 01:46:48 am »

There is no duplication.

Squeezeebox devices are not natively DLNA  compliant. MC and other DLNA servers/devices cannot see them and they cannot see or use DLNA servers. But Whitebear and the latest LMS are able to make the squeezebox devices appear as DLNA devices and the LMS server appear as a DLNA one. If you use Whitebear you should disable the built in LMS DLNA plugin, but neither is perfect. The LMS plugin provides a pretty crude, immature DLNA server that does not work with all DLNA clients (it crashes my iOS client).

On the other hand Squeezebox's proprietary protocols, like Sonos, are better at some things than DLNA. One of the things is syncing of several players. Squeezeboxes can sync near-perfectly, so without any tweaking the same sound is coming out of all at the same time. You can even use one for the left channel and another for the right. DLNA needs manual tweaking to try to emulate the former and it is never as good (there can be drift over time or from moment to moment). Right now I still mostly use the Squeezeboxes and LMS to play music. I even load up the Squeezeplay client on the PC if I want to sync music between a PC and other Squeezeboxes in the house, as the sync (although not quite perfect) is better than I have been able to achieve with DLNA. But of course, you may not be bothered about syncing at all!

vagskal

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 04:08:06 am »

I'm asking do you have to have both on your computer? Or would you have both on your computer? Is there duplication here?

If I am not mistaken the Vortexbox software running on the Vortexbox Appliance is Linux based. MC currently only runs under Windows. To be able to play from MC to your Squeezeboxes you must run both Logitech Media Server (which I think is incorporated into Vortexbox) and MC. They do not have to run on the same machine though as long as the machines are connected via a network.

PatrickC

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 12:35:24 pm »

Jong and vagskal, I think I can get my teeth into your responses. Thanks.
Now back to the Wiki.
Patrick
Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up