INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed - created duplicate custom tag  (Read 1637 times)

Klaus_K

• Recent member
Help needed - created duplicate custom tag
« on: July 08, 2012, 04:39:42 pm »

Hi,

I got a problem... By accident I've created a custom tag a second time with the same name (shouldn't MC complain about that when creating???). I use this tag ("satz" = movement in english) for building up my custom tag for a classical work. So it is part of some expressions. Now, after I've created the duplicate tag these expressions deliver empty fields. So I thought about just deleting the duplicate tag... but in the Options Dialog under Library Management I see the tag name only once.
Of course I'm afraid that I loose my tag entries when trying to delete this tag. How can I be sure that I delete the right one when seeing it only once in Library Management?

I'm confused... Anybody with an idea?

Regards
Klaus

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help needed - created duplicate custom tag
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 05:59:51 pm »

Are you sure you haven't somehow deleted the original field, and then added it again? MC normally appends '(1)' to the name if the field already exists. Then, of course, you would see both [satz] and [satz (1)] in Manage Library Fields, and expressions using [satz] would be unaffected. Try adding [satz] to a list view. If you see nothing for records for which there should be data, that would suggest the data is gone. If so, restore a Library backup.

vagskal

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:04:35 pm »

The first thing you should do is make a library backup.

Next, look in your library backup folder and see if you have a library backup from before you created the duplicate field (I have no idea how you managed that). If so, restore that library and see if you get your data back. If that does not work you can always get back to where you were by restoring the recent library backup.

If this does not work, I hope you opted to store your data also in the file tags. If you did, you could try to Update library from file tags.

vagskal

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 06:07:04 pm »

Rick.ca gave good advice while I was typing. Try that first. (But making a library backup as soon as you suspect trouble is always good advice.)

Klaus_K

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 01:39:19 am »

Are you sure you haven't somehow deleted the original field, and then added it again? MC normally appends '(1)' to the name if the field already exists.

that's what I also thought, but I use [satz] in custom views for tagging and the content is still there, while at the same time filelds that use [satz] as a part of an expression are not filled...

I have restored a library backup as you recommended and the expressions and views work again now. But on checking my library fields in Options I see the tag [satz] not listed, although I can use it in views and expressions... isnt't that weird?

Thanks
Klaus

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 03:58:25 am »

isnt't that weird?

Yes, and I would be concerned something is still wrong with the database. Maybe you should check earlier backups to see if there's one that shows the field in the manager. Also check the entire list of fields in case it somehow got renamed and doesn't appear where you expect it to. I don't know how that would happen, but it's not as weird as the field not showing at all... :-\

Klaus_K

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:22:05 pm »

i checked several library backups but didn't find one where the custom tag was displayed. I'll create a new one (named differently this time) and try to copy the content over.

while fooling around I found another strange behaviour. i am using the mc standard composer tag. when switching from the german version of mc to the english one this tag switches from "komponist" to "composer" in the field list under options - library management. when switching back from english to german the tag stays as "composer" instead of changing back to "komponist". maybe that's a bug in the handling of translations?

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 06:36:51 pm »

maybe that's a bug in the handling of translations?

Maybe. Does that persist when the program is restarted?
Pages: [1]   Go Up