INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping Formats  (Read 1463 times)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
Ripping Formats
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:16:13 pm »

Me again!

At the moment all my rips are in folder format (video_ts / bdmv). I did originally start off with MKVs using the excellent MakeMKV but after a few films I noticed subtitles didn't work without a lot of faffing about (I also use native WMC at the time).

Now I (thankfully) use MC, how are subtitles handle in MKVs - do I need any 3rd party addons or is it all done internally, as I am thinking of converting all my rips to MKV.

!!! PS If I did this I would want to merge 2 disc films (where the film is actually spread across 2 films) so is MKVMerge still the best to use?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripping Formats
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 01:46:53 pm »

Me again!

At the moment all my rips are in folder format (video_ts / bdmv). I did originally start off with MKVs using the excellent MakeMKV but after a few films I noticed subtitles didn't work without a lot of faffing about (I also use native WMC at the time).

Now I (thankfully) use MC, how are subtitles handle in MKVs - do I need any 3rd party addons or is it all done internally, as I am thinking of converting all my rips to MKV.

I've never used the program you speak of, but I've been using RipBot264 for blurays ripped with AnyDVD HD. So far I haven't had any issues with subtitles and the videos seem to have good quality.

!!! PS If I did this I would want to merge 2 disc films (where the film is actually spread across 2 films) so is MKVMerge still the best to use?

Dunno, sounds a lot like this thread here.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:37:14 pm »

I should add that i'm talking about forced subtitles.

For example I've just tested this with Dances with Wolves, which is foreign language subtitle heavy. With the subtitle setting set to off, I do not see what they are saying. If I turn them on (vobsub), I see them but then I see the whole film subtitled, even the English speaking parts.

So I guess it's no different in MC.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 05:47:22 pm »

do I need any 3rd party addons or is it all done internally, as I am thinking of converting all my rips to MKV.

I've never had any problem including subs using MakeMKV, or adding text subs (e.g., SRT) to MKV files using MKVmerge.

If I did this I would want to merge 2 disc films (where the film is actually spread across 2 films) so is MKVMerge still the best to use?

I'm sure MakeMKV could only create a MKV for each disc, but those can be combined using MKVmerge.

Dunno, sounds a lot like this thread here.

No, that's about representing and playing multiple videos (e.g., a movie series) as one—without merging merging them into one file.

I should add that i'm talking about forced subtitles.

If applicable forced subs exist, MC will use them.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:21:33 pm »

MC has its own subtitle code so you should not use VobSub.  MC will default to the forced sub track though you can select other sub tracks and this preference will then be used next time.
JRiver CEO Elect

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:14:12 am »

OK, so I wonder if MakeMKV isn't showing forced subs in the gui when ripping.

I don't see the (forced) option as in this screenshot http://www.avsforum.com/t/1271962/makemkv-and-forced-subtitles. But then this screenshot is blu-ray... I'm talking Danced With Wolves DVD.

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:39:45 am »

idoodle - there have been reports on other sites (and identified by Damien in the post you linked to) of MakeMKV not setting the 'forced flag' correctly in rips, though the subtitle stream is there.

To check, open mkvmerge\header editor and load the file. Check the subtitle streams and in particular the 'forced' one - if its not set to 'yes' change it and save. As rick.ca has already said, if the flag is properly set, then MC will display the forced subs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up