INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any suggestions? Multichannel FLAC playing as stereo over MC-LCPM signal  (Read 2472 times)

nealsal

• Recent member

Hi, about a week ago I performed a recommended driver upgrade on my HDMI card (up to AMD Catalyst 6.1), and lost the ability to play back multichannel FLAC which had been working fine up until then.

I can't roll back the driver, and reinstalling Catalyst 6.1 did not help.  Reinstalling MC (latest 17 build) did not affect the problem either.  I have tried all the output modes, and the best I can get is in Direct Sound or WASAPI event, where it passes a multichannel LCPM to the HDMI card but only stereo music comes through.  

I read and tried the buffer changes discussed in http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70786.msg477703#msg477703  but it didn't help.

Any next steps to try?  I miss my multichannel FLACs.... Thanks.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multichannel FLAC playing as stereo over MC-LCPM signal
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 03:35:04 am »

When you click on the DSP icon in the upper right (the 3 sliders), what does the popup say for the fields audio path, input, output and change?

nealsal

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 03:49:33 am »

Input 96KHz 24 bit from source format FLAC
 No changes are being made
Output 96KHz 24 bit 6 channel using Direct Sound (not a direct connection)

nealsal

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 04:40:13 am »

Correction- AMD Catalyst 12.6 for the AMD Radeon HD 6570 card.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 04:55:11 am »

Can you check Tools/Options, Audio, Output Mode settings?

What is selected for Device?

nealsal

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 05:12:05 am »

Commuting now, but from memory it's source no of channels. Downconvert anything above 96kHz, source bit depth.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:16:17 am »

That's another option, Output Format ;).

No rush, just check it when you get back.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:24:31 am »

If you use direct sound then you need to right click on your windows speaker icon in the taskbar and then select playback devices.
Then select your active device and hit configure->make sure you set 5.1 under audio channels and then click all the way through
start MC and you should have multichannel.

If you updated the catalyst drivers the audio settings are automatically rolled back to stereo output. That would explain why it worked before.....

nealsal

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:48:14 pm »

Eddy, Thanks for trying, but the HDMI speaker driver change to 5.1 was already in place.

Mouse, thanks for asking. For device it's AMD HDMI HD out, it's currently Direct Sound, AMD HDMI out, default channels, .25 sec buffer.

Can you check Tools/Options, Audio, Output Mode settings?

What is selected for Device?

nealsal

• Recent member

Hi JR community- any other thoughts on why this went fluky?  Thanks!

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen

Have you tried changing the Output mode to WASAPI in case Windows Direct Sound is interfering somewhere along the line? and ensuring that MC can access the device exclusively.

It may also be worth using Realteks own release of the HDMI Audio Driver. I believe that Realtek designed the audio side of the Radeon HD cards and have always used their driver with my HD5450, this prevents Catalyst changing the driver should you forget to deselct the audio driver for update. It is available from the Realtek Site under HD Codec Downloads listed as 'ATI HDMI Audio Device' current release is R2.70 22/06/2012.

rgds
Marty

nealsal

• Recent member

Tried Wasapi- it told me it had to switch to 2-channel.  I tried changing to the recommended driver.  It would only offer me stereo as an output format.   :(

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers

Do you have HDMI set as the default audio device in Windows?
Not having it set as the default device is the only thing that I can think of for it to tell you that you have to switch to 2 channel since HDMI support multi-channel output.
The above and having the default device whatever it may be configured for 2 channel.
Sean

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen

Tried Wasapi- it told me it had to switch to 2-channel.  I tried changing to the recommended driver.  It would only offer me stereo as an output format.   :(

What Processor/Receiver is your HDMI connected to? it sounds like it isn't getting the correct EDID information to me, take a look at the supported formats tab of your Audio device to see what your Device is telling the Radeon card it can support, it will look something like this..

If you need to continue using Direct Sound for some reason instead of WASAPI (I don't recommend this for audio quality reasons) you will need to follow Scolex's instructions and set your ATI HDMI Output as the default audio device, also check that you have configured the device for either 5.1 or 7.1 Channels as recommended.

rgds
Marty
Pages: [1]   Go Up