INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scheduled TV Recording Failures when watching live TV.  (Read 10308 times)

Adcom

• Recent member
Re: Scheduled TV Recording Failures when watching live TV.
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2012, 05:01:16 am »

You have four tuners, but only two are DVB-T, the other two are DVB-C.  You set all of them to DVB-T.  The log shows MC trying to record a DVB-T channel using one of the DVB-C tuners and failed.

There maybe other issues, but the above is one that I can identify for now.  I see, inexplicably, ATSC appearing in the log.  Maybe that was you experimenting with changing something to ATSC?  If you set a tuner's type to ATSC, then it should not be loaded by MC for DVB-T recording/playing.  I am not sure what is going on there.

Here is what you need to do:

Tools > Options > Television, select a device from the list box under "Devices", and click Confgure..., on the resulting "Tuner Type" property page, choose DVB-T for tuners that are named "7231 BDA DVBT Tuner" or "7231 BDA DVBT Tuner (1)", and choose DVB-C for tuners that named "7231 BDA DVBC Tuner" or "7231 BDA DVBC Tuner (1)".

You are quite correct, one of the DVB-C tuners was inadvertently set to DVB-T, however it was listed below the DVB-T tuners and at a lower priority. When a channel is selected for viewing / recording, how are the tuners polled, are they polled in the order they are listed or something else.

When I get this resolved, I would like to refit the Nova TD 500 card, as this would give me 4 x TV tuners, 2 x DVB-T/T2 and 2 x DVB-T, how should these be ordered to ensure that the DVB-T2 tuners were always used for HD channels.

Update: All tuners now correctly tagged, problem still exists; if watching live TV and press the record button, the recording will start OK but I'm then unable to get a picture on any other selected channel, only "no signal" is displayed on the screen. MC is only seeing/using one tuner.

Regards
Mike

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2012, 04:24:35 pm »

The tuners are used in the order they appear in the list.  In your previous log, there was a failure using the second DVB-T tuner.  As a result, MC attempted to load the DVB-C tuner that was set as DVB-T. 

So the next thing to do is to figure out why the second DVB-T tuner failed.  I saw ATSC in the log, not sure if it was cause by you experimenting with setting something to ATSC.  Please email me another log, showing failure to use the second tuner, after you correctly set its tuner type to DVB-T.

As for using particular tuners for HD channels, it is not possible.  MC always pick a tuner from the top of the list, regardless of whether the channel is HD or SD.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Adcom

• Recent member
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2012, 04:17:35 am »

The tuners are used in the order they appear in the list.  In your previous log, there was a failure using the second DVB-T tuner.  As a result, MC attempted to load the DVB-C tuner that was set as DVB-T. 

So the next thing to do is to figure out why the second DVB-T tuner failed.  I saw ATSC in the log, not sure if it was cause by you experimenting with setting something to ATSC.  Please email me another log, showing failure to use the second tuner, after you correctly set its tuner type to DVB-T.

As for using particular tuners for HD channels, it is not possible.  MC always pick a tuner from the top of the list, regardless of whether the channel is HD or SD.

Hi,

2nd log file sent, your correct about the ASTC setting, a forum member suggested I tried this setting. Hope you find the problem in this log file.

Once we get this resolved and all 4 tuners are being used, I guess the logical tuner order should be;

1. DVB-T
2. DVB-T
3. DVB-T/T2
4. DVB-T/T2

This should ensure that HD channels stand the best chance of being used with HD tuners??

Regards
Mike

Adcom

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2012, 08:45:33 am »

Hi,

I think I might have resolved the problem.

Decided to go back to MC17 and experienced exactly the same issues as MC18. So reinstalled the Nova TD 500 to give me 4 tuners again, same problem. So on a whim decided to scan for channels using one of the TD 500 DVB-T tuners and low and behold could now record a HD channel and switch to a SD channel and watch it as expected. So, contrary to what the WIKI states, it looks like you have to scan using all listed DVB-T and DVB-T2 tuners?

At least some progress is being made and I can now record one channel and watch another OK. When I get a bit more time I'll scan using all DVB tuners in MC17 and MC18 and let you now the results.

Does this make any sense to you?

Regards
Mike

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2012, 12:03:45 pm »

Something does not quite make sense.

It is still not necessary to scan channels using all tuners, as long as the channel type is the same.  If you used a DVB-T2 tuner to scan for channels, it should be sufficient.  

Have you tried simultaneously running (recording or playing live) two HD channels?  That might force MC to load both of your "7231 DVBT" tuners.   Unless the second tuner (the one that has been giving you troubles) is reset somehow, you may still get the same error.  You can do an experiment, by putting the "7231 DVBT Tuner (1)" device on top of the device list, and try playing an DVB-T channel.

Your new log still shows that peculiar "ATSC" pest.  I think I have tracked it down to the fact that at one point in time, you might have tried playing an ATSC channel using it (not just setting the tuner type to ATSC, but also play an ATSC channel).  That may have made MC to save an ATSC "previous channel" in the registry, and trying to reload the ATSC channel.  This action forced the channel type to ATSC.  When MC tried to set new channel, it skipped doing it because it detected inconsistency in the channel types.  The following log entry shows that setting of channel is skipped:

CDVBChannel::Set:Network type: this - ATSC, other - DVB-T

I am changing the Set() code so we will no longer skip the channel-setting when there is an inconsistency in types.

Further experiment for you to do:

Check this registry key -
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 18\TV Settings\
__?_pci#ven_1131&dev_7231&subsys_362014c7&rev_aa#4&28b85f88&0&00a9#{71985f48-1ca1-11d3-9cc8-00c04f7971e0}_{3ff44ee5-8547-402a-94f3-d40000020001}

and find the value of "PreviousDigitalChannel".  If the value is a long string, like this "DTV 4220 (12360-4284)674000, 8, 9018, 202, 4, 0, 201, 200, 0, 0, eng, 201", showing a network type value of 4 (shown in bold above), then it is a DVB-T channel.  If the string is significantly shorter, or the network type value is not 4 (3 for ATSC), then we have a wrong channel saved.

Adcom

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2012, 11:59:42 am »

Something does not quite make sense.

It is still not necessary to scan channels using all tuners, as long as the channel type is the same.  If you used a DVB-T2 tuner to scan for channels, it should be sufficient.  

Have you tried simultaneously running (recording or playing live) two HD channels?  That might force MC to load both of your "7231 DVBT" tuners.   Unless the second tuner (the one that has been giving you troubles) is reset somehow, you may still get the same error.  You can do an experiment, by putting the "7231 DVBT Tuner (1)" device on top of the device list, and try playing an DVB-T channel.

Your new log still shows that peculiar "ATSC" pest.  I think I have tracked it down to the fact that at one point in time, you might have tried playing an ATSC channel using it (not just setting the tuner type to ATSC, but also play an ATSC channel).  That may have made MC to save an ATSC "previous channel" in the registry, and trying to reload the ATSC channel.  This action forced the channel type to ATSC.  When MC tried to set new channel, it skipped doing it because it detected inconsistency in the channel types.  The following log entry shows that setting of channel is skipped:

CDVBChannel::Set:Network type: this - ATSC, other - DVB-T

I am changing the Set() code so we will no longer skip the channel-setting when there is an inconsistency in types.

Further experiment for you to do:

Check this registry key -
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 18\TV Settings\
__?_pci#ven_1131&dev_7231&subsys_362014c7&rev_aa#4&28b85f88&0&00a9#{71985f48-1ca1-11d3-9cc8-00c04f7971e0}_{3ff44ee5-8547-402a-94f3-d40000020001}

and find the value of "PreviousDigitalChannel".  If the value is a long string, like this "DTV 4220 (12360-4284)674000, 8, 9018, 202, 4, 0, 201, 200, 0, 0, eng, 201", showing a network type value of 4 (shown in bold above), then it is a DVB-T channel.  If the string is significantly shorter, or the network type value is not 4 (3 for ATSC), then we have a wrong channel saved.

Hi,

Can't record one HD channel and watch another HD channel live. Can record two SD channels and watch an HD channel live.

The value in the reg key for "PreviousDigitalChannel" is DTV 2 (-1--1)0, 7, 0, 0, 3, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, , 0

Hope this helps.

Regards
Mike

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 12:11:53 pm »

Your new log still shows that peculiar "ATSC" pest.  I think I have tracked it down to the fact that at one point in time, you might have tried playing an ATSC channel using it (not just setting the tuner type to ATSC, but also play an ATSC channel).  That may have made MC to save an ATSC "previous channel" in the registry, and trying to reload the ATSC channel.  This action forced the channel type to ATSC.
I apologise wholeheartedly if anything I suggested caused this problem.
My logic was to turn off the working tuner by assigning it to something that shouldn't work (ATSC) to try and force the non-working tuner to be used for DVB-T.

Sorry for bad advice if I made it worse.  :-[

I'll buy you a pint when you're in my neighbourhood!

SBR

Adcom

• Recent member
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2012, 12:49:13 pm »

I apologise wholeheartedly if anything I suggested caused this problem.
My logic was to turn off the working tuner by assigning it to something that shouldn't work (ATSC) to try and force the non-working tuner to be used for DVB-T.

Sorry for bad advice if I made it worse.  :-[

I'll buy you a pint when you're in my neighbourhood!

SBR

Hi,

I don't think you caused any problems but will take you up on the pint anyway if you are ever near Edinburgh.

Cheers
Mike

NickF

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2012, 01:31:10 pm »

Sorry to butt in here but just on the question of scanning, it's important to use the DVB-T2 tuner as this will find channels that the DVB-T tuner won't.

Looks like your PreviouDigitalChannel was ATSC.  I haven't seen details for one before.  All the zeros are intriguing.  Presumably they weren't populated because the tuner isn't actually ATSC so didn't receive the channel data.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Adcom

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 01:46:32 pm »

Sorry to butt in here but just on the question of scanning, it's important to use the DVB-T2 tuner as this will find channels that the DVB-T tuner won't.

Looks like your PreviouDigitalChannel was ATSC.  I haven't seen details for one before.  All the zeros are intriguing.  Presumably they weren't populated because the tuner isn't actually ATSC so didn't receive the channel data.

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Agree about the DVB-T2 tuner, always scan using that one but don't recall scanning with ATSC.

Regards
Mike

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 02:11:47 pm »

Yeah, that saved previous channel is ATSC.  ATSC channels do not use all the parameters, such as frequency, band width, and others.  All we need is major channel, minor channel, and physical channel.

A new build of MC will sort this out.  In the new build if the saved previous channel is of wrong type, MC will not load it.

In the mean time, you can try renaming the "PreviousDigitalChannel" registry item to "PreviousDigitalChannelTemp", and you should be able to use the tuner again.  I ask you to rename it instead of deleting it, so you can revert back to it and use it to test my fix when a new version of MC comes out.

but don't recall scanning with ATSC.

Perhaps you did try manually creating an ATSC channel and play it?

SBR's suggestion was to set a (DVB-T) tuner to ATSC, as a means of putting it "out of service".  When you label a device ATSC, MC will not try loading it when playing any DVB channels (but MC will try loading it when you try playing an ATSC channel).  That was the idea.  This is what I tell people to do when they do not want a particular device used in MC.  Likewise, people in North America can set a device to DVB-T when they do not want that device used for ATSC.

Adcom

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2012, 06:08:32 am »

In the mean time, you can try renaming the "PreviousDigitalChannel" registry item to "PreviousDigitalChannelTemp", and you should be able to use the tuner again.  I ask you to rename it instead of deleting it, so you can revert back to it and use it to test my fix when a new version of MC comes out.

Sorry but that did not work, still only able to use one HD tuner.

Perhaps you did try manually creating an ATSC channel and play it?

Yes, I'm sure I did try that.

Regards
Mike

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2012, 10:42:37 am »

take you up on the pint anyway if you are ever near Edinburgh.
I was up at a conference at the EICC a few weeks ago. Had a lovely pint or three of 80/- in 'The Last Drop' on Grassmarket. Luvely!

Hope you get this TV stuff sorted.

SBR

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2012, 11:33:42 am »

Sorry but that did not work, still only able to use one HD tuner.

?

This is puzzling.  Do you still find this entry in the log file?

Code: [Select]
TV: CDVBChannel::Set: Newtwork type: this - ATSC, other - DVB-T

Yes, I'm sure I did try that.

Actually, that may not even be the case.  The ATSC channel saved in your registry is a "default" ATSC channel, with no major channel and minor channel, just the physical channel of 2.  I guess it was automatically created when MC tried to load the tuner as an ATSC tuner.

Adcom

• Recent member
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2012, 09:31:37 am »

Well the latest build seems to have sorted my tuner problems. Renamed the registry items back to the original, installed the latest build and all is well, can now watch watch live HD channel and record another.

The order in which the tuners are listed is important, for me the two HD tuners must be before the SD tuners or selecting a HD channel will display 'No Signal'. Is there anyway to tell MC to only use DVB-T2  tuners for HD channels?

That apart, I'm now well pleased and thanks for fixing the problem.

Regards
Mike

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2012, 10:47:24 am »

The order in which the tuners are listed is important, for me the two HD tuners must be before the SD tuners or selecting a HD channel will display 'No Signal'. Is there anyway to tell MC to only use DVB-T2  tuners for HD channels?

This is what I feared to be true.  I need to figure out a way of doing this.  An easy but not so great solution is to add a configuration item for users to choose (besides the DVB-T checkbox, add a checkbox "T2 capable", and similarly for "S2 capable" and "C2 capable").  This is not so great because users often do not go through configuration steps.

We can not rely on getting an error return from the tuner because playback is asynchronous and the state is not saved for retries.

Adcom

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2012, 02:48:00 am »

Hi,

This is what I feared to be true.  I need to figure out a way of doing this.  An easy but not so great solution is to add a configuration item for users to choose (besides the DVB-T checkbox, add a checkbox "T2 capable", and similarly for "S2 capable" and "C2 capable").  This is not so great because users often do not go through configuration steps.

Sounds like a plan, how do you then identify which TV channels are HD?

As I said previously, the TV side of things is kind of working fine for me if the tuner order is DVB-T2, DVB-T2, DVB-T, DVB-T. The only issue is when I first record a SD channel, then the first available tuner is selected, which is unfortunately the HD tuner.

Regards
Mike

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2012, 04:59:30 pm »

Hi,

Sounds like a plan, how do you then identify which TV channels are HD?

As I said previously, the TV side of things is kind of working fine for me if the tuner order is DVB-T2, DVB-T2, DVB-T, DVB-T. The only issue is when I first record a SD channel, then the first available tuner is selected, which is unfortunately the HD tuner.

Regards
Mike

Right now, the channels saved in MC do not distinguish T2 from T.  I will need to figure out whether there is something that can be easily used to identified T2 channels.  If you can provide a log file, of you scanning for channels using a DVB-T2 tuner, I will look for some clues. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up