INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delete/rename files from client  (Read 2018 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Delete/rename files from client
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:27:12 pm »

I have recently started using MC on my htpc as a the media server and connecting to that library from other computers in the house. From a client computer I can make changes to tags and that will sync back to the server just fine. What I was hoping I'd be able to do was delete or rename actual files from the client and then that would translate to the server and the server would actually delete or rename the file. However it doesn't seem to work that way. I could go sit down at the server and make the changes directly but it is kind of a hassle to do. Is there a way around that or could it be made to work this way?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Delete/rename files from client
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:15:55 pm »

I can delete files from a client machine without issue.  I do it all the time.

One thing that is annoying is that sometimes when you delete a file from the client, the server pops up the "Do you want to remove this now-empty folder?" dialog, which stinks.  But if it really annoys you, you can just tell it not to ask you anymore.

I don't think renaming files on disk (via Rename, Move, and Copy or whatever) actually works, but I haven't tried it in a long time.   :-\

Changing the [Name] tag, though, works fine, as does changing any other tag.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

maid

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:38:59 pm »

I would like to try this setup again as now I do everything through the home network but obviously its a nuisance if someone wants to use the HTPC and do changes as I have to shut the office one off.

My question is my HTPC goes to sleep after a set time, will I have to change this as how will it sync if its asleep??

Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

justsomeguy

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:08:16 pm »

Thanks, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but it does appear it is deleting files correctly.
I did check don't remind me anymore on the empty folder question then clicked yes. I'm assuming that means it will always remove the empty folder from now on, which is fine for me.
I was getting crashes that seemed to be random but I think were related to me deleting a file and the empty folder dialog being displayed and just sitting there for a long time without me knowing it was there. I tested it by deleting a file I knew would generate that prompt and just ignoring the prompt and it did crash after some time. I was doing other things on the client at the same time the dialog would have been displayed.

Ya I have been testing renaming files from the client and it definitely doesn't work. Would be nice if it did as I like to rename tv shows I have based on proper series name, season, episode and name. I had been doing this with a different program outside of MC but would be nice to do it all in one place now that MC pulls all this metadata nicely. Not a deal breaker though.

maid

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:16:36 pm »

Thanks, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but it does appear it is deleting files correctly.
I did check don't remind me anymore on the empty folder question then clicked yes. I'm assuming that means it will always remove the empty folder from now on, which is fine for me.
I was getting crashes that seemed to be random but I think were related to me deleting a file and the empty folder dialog being displayed and just sitting there for a long time without me knowing it was there. I tested it by deleting a file I knew would generate that prompt and just ignoring the prompt and it did crash after some time. I was doing other things on the client at the same time the dialog would have been displayed.

Ya I have been testing renaming files from the client and it definitely doesn't work. Would be nice if it did as I like to rename tv shows I have based on proper series name, season, episode and name. I had been doing this with a different program outside of MC but would be nice to do it all in one place now that MC pulls all this metadata nicely. Not a deal breaker though.
This is exactly my setup.

Would you mind explaining how to set up the server? I tried the wiki but it refers to MC15.
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

justsomeguy

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:50:05 pm »

Maid,
It's fairly straight forward. Main thing to remember is you have to use authentication on the server otherwise the client can't sync back to the server. Then if you have it correct, on the client under "Playing Now" at the bottom you'll see a Playing from folder that should show the library from your server, click this then hit the Load Library button in the right window.

Here's my server settings:

Here's my client settings:

maid

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:10:14 pm »

thanks for that.

how do i set up the clients?

how do i get the server to run?

justsomeguy

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:16:48 pm »

You don't have to do anything special to the clients. Just connect them to the server library like I mentioned above.

On the server go into Tools > Options > Startup > Windows Startup, set Run on Windows startup to Media Server. This will start the server when windows boots up. If the server isn't running the clients can't connect to the library.

maid

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 10:26:38 pm »

sorry to be a pain, but when I start MC on the client it says database in read only mode. when I try to sync it is asking where the computer is.

Also do I still use the run auto import?

alspoll

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 08:15:16 am »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just want to confirm if there is a way to rename files on a client and sync back to the server.

If i try to rename, the original file is an address back to the server and not a filename itself.

Since I do all my maintenance on the client, this would be a big help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up