INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI connection to AVR lost then found  (Read 1280 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
HDMI connection to AVR lost then found
« on: July 11, 2012, 06:47:55 am »

I had a problem this week that stumped me for a while.  In my office, I have my PC's motherboard HDMI connection linked to my Sony receiver.  But because my monitor (Samsung Syncmaster) doesn't have HDMI, I connect to it directly from the PC with DVI.  It has all worked well for a while.

This week, when I right clicked on the desktop to check "Screen Resolution, I noticed that it showed two monitors and an extended desktop.  I thought that's not right, so I "fixed" it.

The sound stopped.  When I went to control panel, and checked "Sound", I no longer had a connection to the HDMI AVR available.

I tried a lot of things, but this finally worked.

Open the  Intel graphics program (also confusingly called control panel)

Display > Multiple Displays > Select Extended Desktop

First Display > Syncmaster
Second Display > AVR

TV and Display

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: HDMI connection to AVR lost then found
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 07:11:30 am »

HDMI and DVI carry the same data stream but the plugs and cable are different.  Audio is carried in the the data stream on packets inserted between the video frames so in theory it should not matter if you use the DVI or HDMI output but it does matter in some of the HW / Driver implementations.  I'm guessing from what you described you are routing Video over the DVI connection directly to the Monitor and sound over HDMI to the AVR.  If this is the case you will need (as you have found) the Intel Control panel to "see" both devices.  The alternative is to just use HDMI to your receiver and plug your monitor into the HDMI Out of the Receiver.  That way you have one device recognised by the the PC (your receiver) that strips off the Audio and passes on the video to your monitor.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up