INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I tell Media Center not to alter my files?  (Read 1552 times)

hymerman

Can I tell Media Center not to alter my files?
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:46:42 pm »

I'm a long-time foobar2000 user but fancy trying out J River Media Center for audio. I'm extremely picky about how I organise and tag my music. I just installed it and set it up to monitor just one mp3 album, and it's already altered the files' tags. I was unsure whether Media Center just having the files in its library would alter them (and didn't check immediately after import), but using the 'analyse music' feature has definitely altered them without any confirmation, adding extra tags like "tool name" and "tool version". Also the album artist as defined by foobar2000 (using the BAND tag) has been changed, presumably because Media Center uses a different field for album artist (perhaps a TXXX frame?). It also added ID3v1 tags, but I want all my mp3 files to have ID3v2.4 tags only.

So I guess this question is in 5 parts:
  • Can I give Media Center read-only access to my files so I can play around in safety?
  • Can I write tag changes just to Media Center's database and not to the actual files?
  • Can I get it to stop writing 'tool name' and 'tool version' tags?
  • Can I define what ID3 fields tags map to?
  • Can I choose the ID3 revision that Media Center writes tags as?

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can I tell Media Center not to alter my files?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:56:22 pm »

In Edit uncheck "Update tags when file info changes" and JRiver will stop writing tags in your files

hymerman

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 06:20:35 pm »

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm after!

I'd still like to know about the last 3 questions though, should I choose to buy.

I also have one more question; I have album art stored alongside my music files as 'front.jpg', 'back.jpg' etc. and I'd like to know how to let Media Center know about these - I saw the option for cover art file location and chose 'in the same folder as the file', but there's no option to tell it what the file name should be, other than 'folder.jpg' which isn't what I use. I also see a lot of options for finding cover art but I've already got very high quality art and would like to use that really. Can I do that?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:07:43 pm »

There are a few MP3 tagging options here:
Tools > Plug-in Manager > Input > MP3 > Configure

You can see a full tag dump using Action Window > Tag > Click first line
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up