INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output format for audio  (Read 1370 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Output format for audio
« on: July 10, 2012, 04:07:36 am »

I've been experimenting with output format and having J River do all the work of decoding so I can also use the equalizer.

I've set the following:
- output format to resample some of the frequencies my receiver does not support;
- bitdepth to 24-bit;
- channels to 5.1;
- unchecked output surround sound
- mixing JRSS surround sound
- checked 'for stereo sources only mix 2.1
- JRSS Subwoofer 80Hz lowpass
- Subclarity checked

So far so good, except that my receiver is receiving 6 channels. No sound is coming from them except L/R + SW.

Is this right or am I using incorrect settings?

Highly subjective I know, but would these settings result in the best quality?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Output format for audio
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:46:03 pm »

Anyone?  ::)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:36:13 pm »

I believe this is correct.  There was a long discussion about channels, JRSS, etc a couple/few weeks ago, and mojave was very thorough in his explanation of how this all works.

I believe what's happening is that since you've chosen 5.1 channels AND JRSS processing, MC will process/mix any/all input to output 5.1 channels.  If you select (and you did) 'For stereo sources only mix to 2.1' it will only mix in the subwoofer channel to your stereo track, but it will send 'blank' channels to the other sources, so your receiver will always receive 6 channels, but some can be 'blank'.

I think that part of the discussion starts here...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72562.msg493356#msg493356
pretend this is something funny

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 04:20:47 pm »

JustinChase has it correct on the channels.

A couple other comments . . .
JRSS Subwoofer 80hz lowpass - When listening to two channel stuff, this will combine the L & R channels, add an 80 Hz lowpass, and then send it to the subwoofer output. The mains stay full range (unless bass management is used in Room Correction and Routing is set to "Move bass to subwoofer") and it doesn't do anything when the source already has content in the subwoofer channel such as 5.1 movies. If you aren't using bass management on your receiver, you might want to check out Room Correction in DSP Studio. This is more flexible and probably better quality than a receiver. If using Room Correction, you can set the Subwoofer in Output Format to Silent. However, you can still use a low pass setting in Output Format if you understand what is happening.

Subclarity - I don't use it, but it is user preference. Matt has said the following about Subclarity:

It allows quick impacts like thumps and hits to pass through, but filters out long rumbles.  The goal is to remove drone from bass guitars, etc. from the subwoofer line while keeping tight hits from bass drums and other low bass.

Subclarity is one of my favorite recent improvements to the audio engine.  I had always wanted something that did this, but wasn't sure it was possible.  In my opinion, it works and sounds really good.

If you have a 7.1 receiver, but a 5.1 system, you can do all processing in JRiver and then copy the subwoofer to another output such as rear surround. This lets you process and use multiple subs. I can be especially helpful if the subs are different distances from the listening position.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:56:59 pm »

That is very useful, thanks. I need to read that thread tomorrow (sleepy time now ;D).

I'll probably come back with more questions  8).
Pages: [1]   Go Up