INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Set Up Multiple HTPCs  (Read 1370 times)

wewilli1

• Recent member
How to Set Up Multiple HTPCs
« on: October 17, 2012, 12:30:28 pm »

I want to set up 3 HTPCs running JRiver software in my house.  All 3 HTPC computers will obtain video files from a Windows 7 computer which will shares the video on the network.  Since the J River software wants to create xml and sidecar files, doesn't it create a conflict if all 3 HTPC computers try to manage the xml and sidecar files?

I tried running the JRiver server software on the server computer but the JRiver server crashed an hour after I started it.  My wife and I sat down to watch a movie in the living room and J River looked like it crashed in the living room because it was completely unresponsive.  Further investigation revealed that the JRiver server software crashed and the living room computer didn't handle it gracefully.  We ended up watching the movie with xbmc.  Based on this experience, I really don't want to rely on the JRiver server software. 

Questions:
1. Is it possible to run 3 HTPC computers and let them all manage their own libraries?  Will this create a conflict in the xml and sidecar file management?
2. What are other peoples experience with the server software?  Does it crash often for you?  I have very high standards for server software and and don't want anything to do with even marginally unstable server software.  It's just not worth the hassle.  The last thing I want to do when I sit down to watch TV is debug my video rendering system.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to Set Up Multiple HTPCs
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 01:04:03 pm »

Based on this experience, I really don't want to rely on the JRiver server software.

You could try and solve that issue instead of trying to create workarounds for something that shouldn't happen in the first place.

I run my HTPC day and night (I never shut it down). I play music and videos every day, auto import has several watch folders to pick up new rips I make or files I move around. THe HTPC runs the server too and I stream to other clients. In short, your issue is not normal behavior.

Questions:
1. Is it possible to run 3 HTPC computers and let them all manage their own libraries?  Will this create a conflict in the xml and sidecar file management?
2. What are other peoples experience with the server software?  Does it crash often for you?  I have very high standards for server software and and don't want anything to do with even marginally unstable server software.  It's just not worth the hassle.  The last thing I want to do when I sit down to watch TV is debug my video rendering system.

1. It is possible, but it may lead to unexpected behavior if you manage those files from all three locations. It is possible to configure MC to not write to files, so it only reads and then you have 1 PC that can manage. Lots of hassle while client/server should work fine.
2. see above.

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:56:04 am »

What are the settings to prevent MC from writing to files?

wewilli1

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 08:16:37 am »

One more thought and thanks for the help (I have not had much success getting help on this forum).  I know what you are saying that the server software shouldn't crash and that I should try to fix the problem.  I am currently towards the end of a 30 day evaluation.  At the beginning of my evaluation period, the client software crashed a few times so I collected log data and posted it to this forum asking for help.  I was basically told to go read the wiki and figure it out myself.  I read the wiki and did extensive google research PRIOR to collecting the log data.  I replied back that there was nothing in the wiki that helped but I never heard back from JRiver.  In short, I don't think that debugging crash issues is an option because I already asked for help debugging a crash issue and JRiver refused to help.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:59:04 am »

I don't think anyone is refusing to help. There are hundreds of posts every day on this forum and keeping up with all of them is day task. It happens that posts get burried.

I just looked up your previous questions and although I'm on the forums on a daily basis and try to check out all the new posts, I can't remember seeing yours. That just goes to show that its not about refusal, it just slipped through which is unfortunate.

Your first issue, about the crash. JimH pointed you to the wiki, in particular the FAQ section which has a topic on Stability. Have you been able to check it out? Either way, you replied after which is turned silent which is a shame. PS. The fact that other programs run without issues is not a garantee that MC will run flawless too. MC should run stable and if it doesn't there is probably an issue with the OS, drivers, hardware or a conflict with other software. Are you are able to reinstall the PC and just install the necessary drivers and MC?

Your second issue, about auto import not working. Have you searched the forums? I can imagine people not replying because the issue comes up regularly. Here's one but there are more, Use advanced search feature.

Typically these forums offer first class help, both from the community and the developers. I am sorry you're experience has not been as good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up