INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smart Playlist based on other playlists - retaining track order  (Read 3637 times)

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen

Hi

Currently using MC 17.0.180 on Win 7 X64.

Noticed the post http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73312.0 regarding smart playlist having audio & images.  Great functionality & example. 

Whilst experimenting I created a smart playlist that consisted of Audio tracks from a standard playlist and images from another Smart Playlist.  This works, however the audio track order from the standard playlist isn't preserved (reverts to album name & track number).

Is there any method to preserve the track order from the source playlist?

thanks,

Steve

mprh39

• Recent member
Re: Smart Playlist based on other playlists - retaining track order
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:59:01 am »

I have encountered the same problem.

I am having trouble finding an answer to my problem, I hope you will help a novice out.
I created a music playlist, dragged and dropped my songs in the order I want them to be on an external usb drive.
After I highlighted all files in my playlist I dropped all the files into my external usb drive.
Here is the problem: When I open the playlist on the external drive the order of the files are listed by artist and not the order I created for the playlist.
How do I keep my order of songs?

Thank you so much for your help, and I look forward to your reply.

Marie Hanerkam

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:22:38 am »

Hi Marie,

One of the unknowns is how another media player determines track order.  Does it use the file metadata or the filename?  If filename then think I've the answer to your question (just not mine yet)

Found references in an old post http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69513.0.

Select all files in the playlist
Select Library Tools - Rename, Move & Copy
Select Copy
Check Directories & specify the base path
Check Filename
Add the rule PadNumber(CustomData(#),2) - [Name]

validate the filenames look correct in the right panel & click OK if they do

Good luck,

Steve

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 04:45:35 pm »

Is there any method to preserve the track order from the source playlist?

If the problem is just with the one application, and the playlist in question has no duplicates, a simple workaround might be to save the order with the files. That is, create a custom field [Order] (or whatever you prefer to call it), view the playlist and set [Order] = Counter(). That will number the files in the order they appear. Then sort your smartlist using [Order].

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 06:53:05 pm »

That is, create a custom field [Order] (or whatever you prefer to call it), view the playlist and set [Order] = Counter(). That will number the files in the order they appear. Then sort your smartlist using [Order].

Hi Rick.ca,
Thanks for this, however having some trouble with set [Order] = Counter().  Tried this in Manage Library Fields - Expression.  When viewing the playlist the new field just kept increasing in value on all songs.  Is this correct?  I'm guessing there's an option to set the value once only & just in the playlist I'm intersted in, but I couldn't work out how to do this

appreciate your help,

Steve

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 07:09:49 pm »

Thanks for this, however having some trouble with set [Order] = Counter().

I meant edit the values directly. Select all the items in the playlist, put [Order] in edit mode (either in the list or with the tagging pane) and enter: =counter().

This is why I said, "If the problem is just with the one application..." You may not be able do this with many playlists without running into complications because tracks are on more than one playlist.

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 11:51:51 pm »

Thanks for clarifying.  Works a treat.

Cheers,

Steve

mprh39

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 05:37:34 am »

Hi Marie,

One of the unknowns is how another media player determines track order.  Does it use the file metadata or the filename?  If filename then think I've the answer to your question (just not mine yet)

Found references in an old post http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69513.0.

Select all files in the playlist
Select Library Tools - Rename, Move & Copy
Select Copy
Check Directories & specify the base path
Check Filename
Add the rule PadNumber(CustomData(#),2) - [Name]

validate the filenames look correct in the right panel & click OK if they do

Good luck,

Steve

Hi Steve
I am a novice and I can't get the hang of " adding a rule". I am trying to add all my music files to a usb external hard drive to play in my car.

Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated!

Marie

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 07:36:12 am »

Hi Marie,

I'm a novice too.  I've never transferred MC playlists to USB drive for use in another media player.  What I have done is to transfer complete albums & retain the correct track information.  The method I posted earlier should work for a list of tracks contained in a playlist, but would be inefficient for several playlists which contained common tracks.  Hopefully someone on the forum can assist you further.

Regarding the copy the files contained within a playlist to another location please see the linked image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31660332@N08/7621411602

Choose Copy
In Directories select the path for your USB (in my case this was D:\Temp\Playlist\)
In Filename add the rule PadNumber(CustomData(#),2) - [Name]
In the right hand panel you sould see the filename & path transformation.  If correct Click on OK

I'll try to workout what needs to be done to handle multiple playlists.

Good Luck,

Steve

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 07:54:22 am »

Hi Marie,

MC has playlist export functionality.  What I think you need to do is
  • Identify what type of playlist your car audio system recognises
  • Copy the music tracks to the USB drive
  • Export the playlist(s)
  • Edit the playlists (in a text editor) to ensure the path information is correct (as it will probably need to be changed) - I'm pretty sure some devices require full path info, whilst others need the path relative to the playlist
As I mentioned earlier - hopefully someone who has done this before can provide the most efficient method.

Cheers,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up