INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antec P280 cooling opinions please  (Read 8024 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Antec P280 cooling opinions please
« on: August 26, 2012, 11:04:46 pm »

I bought Antec P280 case. Has 2 x 120mm on top + 1 x 120mm on rear.

I have full load of drives (5) but all are WD 5400 green.

Should I purchase and install 2 x 120mm optional fans for front panel to blow over drives?

I am leaning no because the green drives should run cool, I will configure Windows to power them down after an hour of inactivity, and the stock fans should move enough air. What do you think?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Antec P280 cooling opinions please
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:37:55 pm »

AnandTech liked it:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5090/antec-p280-when-enthusiasts-are-engineers/

That's pretty much good enough for me.

When I bought my new case last winter, I was choosing between the Antec P280 and the Corsair Obsidian 650D.

I went with the Corsair Obsidian 650D in the end.  It is a very similar case (compared in that Anandtech article)  There were just a few minor design things I liked about the 650D better (one of the biggest was that it didn't have the front door - I always screw up and rip these off eventually).  The 650D looks awesome and is easy to work in, though it doesn't cool quite as well as the Antec and it has the stupid side window on the case (which are dumb, and I bought a replacement side-panel for mine from Corsair that is just plain).

Either one is a great choice and you'll be happy with it, I'm sure.  It should last years and years and years.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:50:47 am »

I have 3 7200 rpm and 1 10k rpm in mine - runs cool, so probably no need for more fans.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rjm

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 01:44:18 am »

I have several Antec cases myself and apart from the big (200?) mm fan on top of the P180 all fans were noisy and needed replacement. Also the fans had no control option apart from a hi/lo switch and no option to connect them to the motherboard fan headers or to a fan controller. Consequently I've replaced all the stock Antec fans except the big one and connected them to a fan controller or the mainboard fan headers. Even at the low setting they ran too fast and too much noise. Contrary to common belief case fans don't have to run very high (for normal pc's, heavy overclockers excluded). You need a draft of fresh air and as long as the warm air gets out its good. Often the lowest speed of around 600rpm for 120mm fans is enough to accomplish that. Just make sure the air flow doesn't get disrupted (cable management!!). I do overclock my cpu (i7 2600K@4.8Ghz air cooled), I have (had) 5 harddisks and a GTX580 overclocked. 2 exhaust fans and 2 inlet fans at 600rpm is all I need, CPU fan ramps up under load but it makes hardly any difference if I turn up my case fans (if I turn them off it DOES make a difference :D).

With no addon videocard and that noctua on that stock cpu, I think you're safe to initially try without the extra fans. I don't know what kind of harddisks you will put in that case but in the Antec the drive bays are positioned in font of the inlet. The fans on the top/back will/should create sufficient draft through the drive bays.

If I were you I would try without extra fans and (what I always do with a new system) perform a controlled load test. In your case this would include heavy copy jobs over all disks to produce maximum heat. Using hardware monitors keep track of the disk temperatures. Temperatures often seem stable after 20 minutes but often after 50 or 60 minutes it will rise again, sometimes causing a chain reaction if other temperatures are near their max (but since you're not overclocking and don't have an addon videocard, this should not affect you). Consult the harddisk manufacturer websites to be sure (or ask Glynor :P) but I think max temps are 60 degrees, safe continuous operating temps are between 40-45 degrees for harddisks. An occasional peak in temperature should not be an issue so long as it doesn't stay high. Actually I believe too low temperatures on harddisk is worse than running on high temperatures (for bearings and lubrication).

The case should have room for fans in the front of the drive bays, so if during those tests you see the temperatures getting too high,  you can install extra fans.

I'm not sure how many fan headers that board has but if you need to control more than 2 fans (not counting CPU fan) you may want to consider a fan controller.

This may be a no-brainer, but check if all your fans are blowing in the correct direction. CPU fan should blow through the fans of the heat spreader (not suck air out of it), top and rear case fans should suck air out of the case (exhaust) and fans in front should feed fresh air to the case. The PSU fan should be an exhaust as well and blow out. You can easily check with a sheet of paper and cover the opening. An incorrect fan setup can completely mess up cooling.

rjm

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 01:56:49 am »

Really great tips! I like your idea about a steady breeze being sufficient.
Thanks kindly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 07:31:07 am »

I'm not sure how many fan headers that board has but if you need to control more than 2 fans (not counting CPU fan) you may want to consider a fan controller.

A bunch.  And the ASUS board has REALLY nice built-in fan controls in the BIOS (you can set fan response curves based on heat levels).  You almost certainly do NOT need a separate hardware fan controller.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:36:59 am »

Ow that sounds nice. I'm doing that with Speedfan now for my CPU fans (Push/Pull) but to be clear you're saying you can configure the curves from the BIOS or you enable it in the BIOS and configure it with some Asus tool in Windows?

rjm

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 09:09:42 am »

A bunch.  And the ASUS board has REALLY nice built-in fan controls in the BIOS (you can set fan response curves based on heat levels).  You almost certainly do NOT need a separate hardware fan controller.
Yes 4 chassis + 1 cpu + 1 uncontrolled, but the fans must support 4 pin PWM because it looks like the m/b cannot control speed with voltage which means the best fans like Noctua cannot be used, but I'm thinking this is not a problem because if you buy an expensive silent chassis fan you might as well leave it on at it's optimal speed all the time to keep the breeze going. I'm thinking cpu fans are different, they should be controlled based on temp.

rjm

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:13:27 am »

Ow that sounds nice. I'm doing that with Speedfan now for my CPU fans (Push/Pull) but to be clear you're saying you can configure the curves from the BIOS or you enable it in the BIOS and configure it with some Asus tool in Windows?
Looks like an app that talks to the bios.
http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/P8Z77_Series_Motherboards/page3_fan.htm

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:13:40 am »

I have an old P180, and I really like that line of cases.  A good case makes a big difference in how quiet a machine is.

As for fans, I tend to remove them instead of add more.  This might be bad advice, but I like quiet computers and most modern components really don't draw enough wattage to require much cooling.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up