INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JR 17.0.182: Which JR-tags are written automagically to my tracks?  (Read 1592 times)

lyricslover

• Recent member

After tagging some mp3 tracks with JR Media Center, I had a look with Mp3tag to this changes. I found the following not-so-obviously-tags inside my tracks:
ALBUM ARTIST (with a space between the words, additionally to the already existing ALBUMARTIST. I found this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72211.0)
TOOL NAME with the value "Media Center"
TOOL VERSION with the value "17.0.182"

I don't like it, when programs write additional informations in my tracks without asking me. How can I stop JR Media Center to write this 3 unwanted tags?
Are there even more JR-tags, that could be written automagically if I change existing id3tags or if I add new id3tags?

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JR 17.0.182: Which JR-tags are written automagically to my tracks?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:46:04 am »

If you add more than the year in the MC date field MC will write a TXXX JR/Date tag.

I think MC also will write some standard ID3v2.3 tags if you have used the obsolete MusicMatch program to tag your files.

It is not possible to switch off the writing of only those additional tags.

I agree that it is not polite to always write (for me useless) TOOL tags.

The automatic writing of other tags that is not possible to switch off separately is done for good compatibility reasons and after careful considerations on how MC best should act together with other programs using slightly different tag conventions. The one thing I have to remember is to never use external software to change any tag representing the album artist. For me, it is worth this small inconvenience to get perfect support for another program I use.

lyricslover

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 07:58:47 am »

Thank you for the fast answer and your explanation, vagskal!

In my case, the additional tag ALBUM ARTIST is really not necessary.
In the meantime, I found a workaround for this:
If you really need to disable tag writing for this field you can do it in the field specific options: Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...  - select "Album Artist" and uncheck "Save in file tags (when possible)"

Would be a nice idea, if we could uncheck this options for TOOL NAME and TOOL VERSION (and other unwanted tags) too.

vagskal

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 08:06:33 am »

Be aware that if you switch off tag writing for the MC field Album Artist MC will not write/change any album artist file tag, i.e. changes to the MC field Album Artist will not be reflected in your music files. I would not recommend switching tag writing off unless you actually encounter some problem with other software (other than just seeing an extra tag in MP3Tag that you do not need at the moment).

jradams3rd

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 04:54:37 am »

Ok so we can't control when they are written, I can accept that.  What I don't like is they are not tags that are searchable or reportable through any interface that I see.  Why can't I search for Tool Name=Media Center or find the tag in the wizzard?

John

vagskal

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:08:54 am »

Ok so we can't control when they are written, I can accept that.  What I don't like is they are not tags that are searchable or reportable through any interface that I see.  Why can't I search for Tool Name=Media Center or find the tag in the wizzard?

John

Just add custom user data MC fields named Tool Name and Tool Version and update library from tags. That will import the information into MC. It does not make me happier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up