INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker or MC17 Volume?  (Read 1445 times)

rgd2012

Speaker or MC17 Volume?
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:24:35 pm »

I am just getting into digital music an have my Adam A5X speakers connected via stereo 3.5mm mini plug to stereo RCA Y cable connected to my Windows 7 pcs' audio-out jack.I have MC17's volume set for Internal Volume with the volume set at 100%/+0.0db.I have been using the volume on the speakers for volume levels.Should I be using the volume on MC17 instead?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Speaker or MC17 Volume?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:09:48 pm »

Welcome.

There's no single best answer, but the wiki on Volume has some general advice under the topic 'Picking Between System Volume and Internal Volume':
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume#Picking_Between_System_Volume_and_Internal_Volume
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rgd2012

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 05:05:06 am »

Thanks Matt

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:12:33 am »

I think RGD’s question is about using the digital volume control on the PC versus the analog volume control on the Adams.

In the audiophile world digital volume control is a no-go area as one loses resolution.
When using digital volume control to a large extend this is indeed true.
However do you need to worry?

A very simple experiment is to put the gain of the Adams to the max and to the min.
Try to macth the loudness in both cases and check if you hear any substantial difference when using massive digital volume control (max gain) or moderate (min gain).

My advice would be to adjust the gain on the Adams such that they play slightly to loud.
The use the digital volume control of JRiver.
This not only protect your speakers against any blast from the PC it also improves your confort.
If there is something as consensus in the audiophile world (there isn’t) it is that modes digital volume control (-10/15 db) doesn’t yield any audible degradation.
I did the experiment on a pair if K+H300.
Had a very hard time to hear any degradation at all even when using a higher reduction

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/VolumeControl.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up