INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo almost 3 years old now, How about open sourciing it ?  (Read 1377 times)

Arcturus

• World Citizen
Gizmo almost 3 years old now, How about open sourciing it ?
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:19:57 pm »

And or making a premium version. I find it lags behind its IOS counterpart. No way I or most other android users will switch back.

Could use lots of work like in the UI, The icons mostly and the lack there of. A more uniform dark theme or selectable theme, The play pause stop buttons stick out. All of these things could be quickly fixed I even know a grfx designer who could fix that in an hour.

Maybe a few features like allowing people to view meta data, Lots of android devs around that would be happy to help and lots of users who would be happy to pay for a better experience.

My move to JRiver was because it did not force a 10 foot interface (theater view) in order to choose what you want to play but still gave you all the metadata. Gizmo was just the icing on the cake because it allowed for a 2 screen experience (The holy grail now for media enthusiasts).  Was using the standard view on pc to control the output to TV but then with gizmo its really the ultimate.

As someone who does lots of PC repairs, Over 1000 a year I see that for the most part like 99.9% people don't use media portal apps with theater view type interfaces. Some feel its too heavy for its own good or simply gets in the way. Most people simply launch the files wherever they are with explorer and I find JRiver standard view even better then that but with Gizmo just puts it over the top. When I show people that setup the response is usually "Wow! I want that". Instead of "It's pretty but I would probably never use it". A lot of those I showed my setup ended up buying JRiver shortly after. It also has so much going for it that its a easy sale.

I only bring this up because its been 3 years now and really would like to see gizmo get better.

Just my 2 cents and to add my voice to the hundreds of others on this forum who keep asking for improvements in gizmo.
The interest is definitely there and could convince more people to buy JRiver.

PS. Not posting this because I am unhappy with Gizmo I love the app, Also realize resources are probably sparse at JRiver.

Pages: [1]   Go Up