INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatically Apply Tags to TV Recordings?  (Read 1765 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Automatically Apply Tags to TV Recordings?
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:23:10 am »

Is there a way to automatically apply tags to TV recordings?

I've got a couple of things I'd like to be able to do:

1) Apply [Series] field values based on some sort of rules for shows that don't exist in the TVDB (i.e. daily news, Jeopardy, et al). I don't care about meta-data beyond this, but it would be nice to be able to separate these in my views.

2) Apply my "transient" tag, which I apply to any media that I plan to delete once I've watched it. I thought I could pull this off by setting Auto-Import to watch the TV Recordings folder, with this tag set in the rules, but the "update" portion of Auto-Import seems to ignore this.

Is there currently any automated way to do what I'd like here?

-Jon

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Automatically Apply Tags to TV Recordings?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 01:18:37 pm »

Glynor,
Thanks for pointing me in the direction there. I think I've got my series rules setup right now.

Just to clarify though, this will work for TV recorded by Media Center? I only ask because, as I poorly alluded to in #2 above, I did have a fairly basic rule setup to apply the "transient" tag already in place, but it didn't seem to apply to the TV Recordings made by MC. It works fine for other items imported from the directory though. I made another rule, more closely following some of the examples provided in the links to see if that helps, but I just want to make sure I'm being clear about what I'm trying to do here.

Thanks again,
Jon

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:31:00 am »

Just to clarify though, this will work for TV recorded by Media Center?
Unless I've missed something really obvious, this does not work for TV recordings made in Media Center. Can someone give me an example of a rule that they would expect to apply to all TV recordings, that will assign the value "Transient" to the [Keywords] field? All my recordings (and other "transient type stuff") reside under the same directory, so that is what I've been using for my rule thus far without success.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 01:02:29 pm »

I have seen the same things.  I cannot get the automatic tagging to work with shows that are recorded within Media Center.  I posted about this a while back, but I didn't persue it because I figured it was something I was doing wrong.  Since you are having the same issue, it could be something with the way Media Center works.  It appears to me that when Media Center records the program, it doesn't have to do an import and as such the import logic doesn't run.

Alex

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 01:18:01 pm »

You may be right.  Sorry, when I read your initial post, I didn't consider TV Recordings made by MC.

I'm not currently using MC as a DVR solution (though I'm edging ever-closer all the time), so I'm not qualified to comment.  If this doesn't work, we need a way to make it work.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:13:07 pm »

It appears to me that when Media Center records the program, it doesn't have to do an import and as such the import logic doesn't run.
This is my impression also.

If this doesn't work, we need a way to make it work.
Yes, I absolutely agree.

Ideally what I would hope for would be something along the lines of confishy's AutoTagger plugin, but added into Auto-Import so that it either runs in the background or on-demand depending on the user's configuration for auto-import. The general idea of the plugin is "for files that match ..." do "this set of actions (usually assign tags)". It fits in with the current implementation of Carnac plus user rules, but it would apply to the whole library. I suppose there could be performance issues there to make it complicated though...

On the simpler side, it might be nice to send a TV Recording through the "import" process once it's completed. Without some way to specify tags for recordings though, making useful views for them is obnoxious. At least it is for my setup.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:22:49 pm »

I think existing Tag On Import rules defined should just apply to Recordings too.  If they have to do fancy magic behind the scenes to have it apply, since these files aren't "imported by Auto-Import" that's fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up