INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question re theater view  (Read 3696 times)

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
question re theater view
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:16:35 am »

How would I set up theater view to function like this?:

1) Choose TV Series
2) Click on the TV series that you would like to watch (i.e. Seinfeld)
3) Have a list of all the different seasons with cover art for each season (i.e. Seinfeld Season 1, Seinfeld Season 2, Seinfeld Season 3.....).
4) Choose Season (i.e. Seinfeld Season 3)
5) Choose Episode (i.e. The Note, The Truth, The Pen)

All the best,

David

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: question re theater view
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:44:59 am »

David, first, set up your library - see the wiki page here

I can't remember what the default setup for TV Series is in Theater View but I think it is like you have proposed.  You can set up Theater View as mentioned in the same wiki article if you want watched episodes to be greyed out.

Nick
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 04:17:55 pm »

I can't remember what the default setup for TV Series is in Theater View but I think it is like you have proposed.  You can set up Theater View as mentioned in the same wiki article if you want watched episodes to be greyed out.

Nick

Thanks,

David

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:48:42 pm »

Nick

One thing that I could not get to work was the Season Art.  I created a Seasons folder under Cover Art folder and named it for example the jpg file Seinfeld - Season 1.jpg.  I also tried having the Season Art in the Series/Season folder.  Neither worked.  Any suggestions?

David

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 09:25:25 pm »

One thing that I could not get to work was the Season Art.  I created a Seasons folder under Cover Art folder and named it for example the jpg file Seinfeld - Season 1.jpg.  I also tried having the Season Art in the Series/Season folder.  Neither worked.  Any suggestions?

David

It works for me.  I have x:\coverart\Seasons\The Big Bang Theory - Season 5.jpg  and it is displayed in theater view.

How are you tagging the season for the video files? Is season just a number like "5" or do you have "Season 5"?

Richard

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 10:10:54 pm »

I works for me.  I have x:\coverart\Seasons\The Big Bang Theory - Season 5.jpg  and it is displayed in theater view.

How are you tagging the season for the video files? Is season just a number like "5" or do you have "Season 5"?

Richard

It is just the number "1".  Should I try tagging with "Season 1"?

NickF

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 02:06:37 pm »

It is just the number "1".  Should I try tagging with "Season 1"?
No, both Series and Season tags should be numeric only.  Both Series and Seasons folders should be within the Cover Art folder.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »

No, both Series and Season tags should be numeric only.  Both Series and Seasons folders should be within the Cover Art folder.

Nick.

I am out of ideas - I think that I am doing everything right.  Do I have to refresh the images some how to force jriver to find the Season Art?

NickF

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 04:45:56 pm »

I am out of ideas - I think that I am doing everything right.  Do I have to refresh the images some how to force jriver to find the Season Art?
Carefully check:
The Cover Art folder location in Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder
The spelling of folder names - should be: Seasons, Series
The spelling of the art file names making sure they match the series name in the library

You may need to restart Media Center client and server.

It does work, honestly!

Nick.

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 06:52:09 pm »

Carefully check:
The Cover Art folder location in Tools > Options > File Location > Cover Art > Folder
The spelling of folder names - should be: Seasons, Series
The spelling of the art file names making sure they match the series name in the library

You may need to restart Media Center client and server.

It does work, honestly!

Nick.

Thanks Nick - I double checked everything.  The funny thing is that the Series art shows up perfectly.

How do I restart the server and client?

David

NickF

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 01:38:00 am »

Which version are you using?  Support for Season art was introduced in 17.0.133.

To restart, exit from the client then, in your system tray, bottom right of the desktop, click the little up arrow (show hidden icons) then right click on the MC Server icon and select close.  Now restart MC.

Nick.

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 10:19:42 am »

Which version are you using?  Support for Season art was introduced in 17.0.133.

To restart, exit from the client then, in your system tray, bottom right of the desktop, click the little up arrow (show hidden icons) then right click on the MC Server icon and select close.  Now restart MC.

Nick.

I couldn't find the up arrow.  I assume the client is just the JRiver interface.  Even when I went to customize my tray icons.  I am running JRiver on one computer (I don't have a server).  I am using the latest version 17.0.182.

Attached are some screen shots of what I am doing.

David

NickF

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 04:13:12 pm »

David, I can't see anything wrong with the data in your screenshots.  When you select a Series in Theater View, what do you see on the Seasons page?

Nick.

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 04:33:53 pm »

David, I can't see anything wrong with the data in your screenshots.  When you select a Series in Theater View, what do you see on the Seasons page?

Nick.

Here is a shot of my theater view.  Notice that Season 1 of Seinfeld is not showing the correct cover art.

NickF

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 05:03:58 pm »

It looks as though none of the Seasons is showing the correct cover art.  They are all showing episode art, probably the art from the first episode of each Season.  The only way I can make this happen is to create a mismatch between the Series name field and the Season art Series name.  Go to Video > Files and list in Series order.  Select all your Seinfeld episodes and right click on the Series field and select Rename and re-type the name.  If this doesn't work, I am stumped!

Edit: i just realised you only had Season art for seinfeld Season 1.  Is the same thing happening with your Parenthood Season 1?

Nick.

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 06:51:12 pm »

It looks as though none of the Seasons is showing the correct cover art.  They are all showing episode art, probably the art from the first episode of each Season.  The only way I can make this happen is to create a mismatch between the Series name field and the Season art Series name.  Go to Video > Files and list in Series order.  Select all your Seinfeld episodes and right click on the Series field and select Rename and re-type the name.  If this doesn't work, I am stumped!

Edit: i just realised you only had Season art for seinfeld Season 1.  Is the same thing happening with your Parenthood Season 1?

Nick.

Thanks for all of your help Nick.  Tried renaming the Series Name.  It didn't work.  The same thing happens with Parenthood Season 1.

All the best,

David

NickF

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 05:06:07 am »

I just set up a small library with a couple of Seasons from a Series on one of my client machines.  I added the Seasons folder and copied the Series art to the Series folder and the two Season arts to the Seasons folder.  I needed to set up the Theater View settings but once done, it worked perfectly.  I didn't need to restart client or server.

The only thing we haven't checked is your Theater View settings.  I suggest setting this up from scratch for TV Shows.

Go to Tools > Options > Theater View.
Next to Items to show, click Add and select Root Library Item
Change the Name to TV Shows
Click "Set rules for file display" and, under rules, select "Media Sub Type" in the first box, "is" in the second box and "TV Show" in the third box.  So the rule is Media Sub Type is TV Show.  Click "Apply" and "OK".
Select Library Item 1 and change the name to Series.
Below the name to the right click Add, Type is "Library Field" and select "Series" and OK.
Again, click Add, Type is "Library Field" and select "Season" and OK.
Again, click Add, Type is "Expression", change the name to Program and  type TVInfo(SeriesDisplay) and OK
In the box, you should now have Series, Season then Program.  If they aren't in that order, drag them to the correct order.
Select Library Item 2 and click Remove.  Repeat for Library Item 3.
Click OK.

If you now go to Theater View and go to the top menu, you should see your new TV Shows category.
Select this and select Seinfeld and, hopefully, you will see your Season 1 art.

If this didn't work, I really am stumped!!

Nick.

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 11:42:38 am »

I just set up a small library with a couple of Seasons from a Series on one of my client machines.  I added the Seasons folder and copied the Series art to the Series folder and the two Season arts to the Seasons folder.  I needed to set up the Theater View settings but once done, it worked perfectly.  I didn't need to restart client or server.

The only thing we haven't checked is your Theater View settings.  I suggest setting this up from scratch for TV Shows.

Click "Set rules for file display" and, under rules, select "Media Sub Type" in the first box, "is" in the second box and "TV Show" in the third box.  So the rule is Media Sub Type is TV Show.  Click "Apply" and "OK".
Below the name to the right click Add, Type is "Library Field" and select "Series" and OK.
Again, click Add, Type is "Expression", change the name to Program and  type TVInfo(SeriesDisplay) and OK
In the box, you should now have Series, Season then Program.  If they aren't in that order, drag them to the correct order.
Click OK.

If you now go to Theater View and go to the top menu, you should see your new TV Shows category.

Nick.

Thanks again Nick.  You have been really trying hard to help me and I want you to know that I really appreciate it.  I will give this a shot tonight.

All the best,

David

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 09:51:37 pm »

Click OK.

Nick.

That did the trick!  Thanks!  I am going to go back and look at how my other views are set up.

NickF

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 10:02:23 pm »

That's great news!  It would be interesting to know what caused it.

Nick.

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 10:07:28 pm »

That's great news!  It would be interesting to know what caused it.

Nick.

I think that it was my own fault messing around with the default theater views.  It would be great if MC18 automates this process!

NickF

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 10:10:56 pm »

I think that it was my own fault messing around with the default theater views.  
We've all been there!  Best to make a library backup before making any serious changes. But I meant what setting caused the art not to display.  Let us know what differences you find.

Nick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up