INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another one for bob; MC using track metadata from GetPositionInfo / GetMediaInfo  (Read 1642 times)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Hi bob,

I was messing around with MC and how it works with remote Renderers and 3rd party Control Points; sorry but I can't help it...

I noticed that when one uses a 3rd party Control Point other than MC to send a track to the Renderer (using SetAVTransportURI), then MC will still properly follow the renderer's playing state, track position, volume, and mute status. However MC does not parse the track metadata returned in the GetPositionInfo / GetMediaInfo calls, and so it does not display the track title, artist, album etc. and does not show the cover art either.

It would be nice if MC would support this meta data. Obviously MC would need to check if the now playing track URI is one of its own (in which case it supplies the meta data from its own database) or if the now playing track URI belongs to another server (in which case it should read the meta data returned by GetPositionInfo / GetMediaInfo).

What do you think?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

bob

• Administrator

Hi bob,

I was messing around with MC and how it works with remote Renderers and 3rd party Control Points; sorry but I can't help it...

I noticed that when one uses a 3rd party Control Point other than MC to send a track to the Renderer (using SetAVTransportURI), then MC will still properly follow the renderer's playing state, track position, volume, and mute status. However MC does not parse the track metadata returned in the GetPositionInfo / GetMediaInfo calls, and so it does not display the track title, artist, album etc. and does not show the cover art either.

It would be nice if MC would support this meta data. Obviously MC would need to check if the now playing track URI is one of its own (in which case it supplies the meta data from its own database) or if the now playing track URI belongs to another server (in which case it should read the meta data returned by GetPositionInfo / GetMediaInfo).

What do you think?

I was pretty certain I added that or some part of it. I will check.. Thanks...

bob

• Administrator

I was pretty certain I added that or some part of it. I will check.. Thanks...

Hmmm, works for me. I tested with PlugPlayer as the controller, MC as the renderer and MC as the server. I also tried our DLNA enabled router as the server and that worked as well.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team

Hmmm, works for me. I tested with PlugPlayer as the controller, MC as the renderer and MC as the server. I also tried our DLNA enabled router as the server and that worked as well.
Hmm. It failed when I tried with Kinsky as the controller, Whitebear as the renderer and Whitebear as the server. And I see MC calling GetPositionInfo, and GetMediaInfo alright. So perhaps Whitebear is returning something that you can't parse. ??

Can you tell me if there is anything I can turn on in MC (logging etc.) that would tell me what Whitebear is doing wrong?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

bob

• Administrator

Hmm. It failed when I tried with Kinsky as the controller, Whitebear as the renderer and Whitebear as the server. And I see MC calling GetPositionInfo, and GetMediaInfo alright. So perhaps Whitebear is returning something that you can't parse. ??

Can you tell me if there is anything I can turn on in MC (logging etc.) that would tell me what Whitebear is doing wrong?
In MC 17 it's the sharing plugin that you would want to log. In MC 18 there are no individual settings, it's all logged.
I'm going to try duplicating your setup, I'll let you know what I see.. Thanks..

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team

In MC 17 it's the sharing plugin that you would want to log.
Sorry for being a bit thick, but how does one set up logging on the sharing plug-in?

I'm going to try duplicating your setup, I'll let you know what I see.. Thanks..
I tested again today, and oddly it seems to be working fine now (??) ...

As a matter of interest, do you follow the now playing track metadata via GetMediaInfo and GetPositionInfo, and/or do you follow the LastChange events of the respective track metadata state variables?

(Perhaps it did not work the other day because I had been starting and stopping Whitebear and MC, and one of those applications could have got confused about its current list of LastChange event subscriptions...)

bob

• Administrator

Sorry for being a bit thick, but how does one set up logging on the sharing plug-in?
It's automatic when you have logging turned on the MC18.
I tested again today, and oddly it seems to be working fine now (??) ...

As a matter of interest, do you follow the now playing track metadata via GetMediaInfo and GetPositionInfo, and/or do you follow the LastChange events of the respective track metadata state variables?

(Perhaps it did not work the other day because I had been starting and stopping Whitebear and MC, and one of those applications could have got confused about its current list of LastChange event subscriptions...)

It should work with events or GetPositionInfo calls. We moved getting the URIMetaData from GetMediaInfo to GetPositionInfo as you suggested since it seems to be more likely to be completely supported.
Pages: [1]   Go Up