INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Want To Punch NBC In Their Stupid Faces  (Read 3425 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
I Want To Punch NBC In Their Stupid Faces
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:40:35 am »

Who's with me?

Spoiling results with a promo (from your own network) JUST before the big event you've been hyping all night?  Check.
Terrible, impossible to use, website coverage plastered with spoilers, swimming in poorly performing flash, and infested with payouts to the cable providers?  Check.
Mind-numbing commentary that rambles on incessantly, repeats themselves, talks over the most important and exciting moments, and is often factually incorrect or confused?  Check.
Inane fluff pieces used to try to "build a story" but really transparent hype?  Check.
"Interviewing" a famous former Olympian for one of these fluff pieces and clearly not realizing who he was until after it was broadcast?  Check.
Not showing scores consistently in any way shape or form at all?  Check.
Ryan Seacrest?  Check.

Bang up job these bozos are doing over there.

I get it.  Covering the Olympics is hard (and expensive).  But no one was holding a gun to your heads when you volunteered.  I've been watching the Olympics for as long as I can remember, and those other guys may not have always shown what I wanted to see, and had dumb fluff pieces, and messed up occasionally, but this seems to be taking it to a new level.  And they're not even trying to do it live.  They have hours to edit the prime-time stuff together.  I'm an editor.  That's a massively difficult job, but...

This is where the big boys play.  Put up or go home.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Castius

Re: I Want To Punch NBC In Their Stupid Faces
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:54:04 am »

+1

From what i've heard BBC apparently do a great job.

rjm

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:12:26 am »

+1

From what i've heard BBC apparently do a great job.

Yes, BBC is good, as is CBC. Most everything produced in the US seems to target idiots.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 07:35:30 am »

Yes, BBC is good, as is CBC. Most everything produced in the US seems to target idiots.

That is true, they target the "lowest common denominator" as that is where the masses are intellectually, so there lie the dollars and the votes . . . makes a good target for politicians & profiteers.
. . . the game is rigged

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:57:36 am »

they really did not "volunteered" they paid to televise the Olympics.

The three networks submitted sealed bids to the IOC in Lausanne, Switzerland on Tuesday. Fox went first, ESPN went second and NBC went last. Tuesday's drama was the first U.S. media rights auction since Ebersol secured the rights to the 2010 and 2012 Olympics for NBC with a $2.2 billion deal in 2003.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:32:35 am »

Hilariously true Glynor.  It is unwatchable on the main network.  At least on MSNBC you get the fun sports you only get to see in the Olympics.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 01:35:59 pm »

I love how it is a pain in the butt to get through the "pick your cable provider" paywall on the website so that you can watch the few poorly organized/labeled "Full Events" they have on there.

It is, of course, jammed full of tracking cookies of every possible type, and won't work on browsers like Safari by default because it requires a third-party cookie.

Even better, the Troubleshooting FAQ on the site reads like an instruction manual on how to make your browser permanently less secure.  Do they tell you which domain needs to set the third-party cookie?  No, of course not.  They just say "turn all that security crap off".  It'll be cool.  Trust us.

Sigh.

I never thought I'd say this, but the Silverlight crap they used last time was WAY, WAY better.  What the hell is up with the way all the video content is organized on there?  You can sort by date/time, "popularity", and something else, but you can't sort by events/sport, or name, or anything else.  And the spoilers in the VIDEO TITLES?!?

Last night I went there to try to watch the end of the Women's Gymnastics Final and the 400m Freestyle Relay (because I couldn't take the terrible editing and leaving out scores on the NBC main feed anymore), and once I beat my way through their stupid sign-in process, I get to the Full Event page and the TITLE of the video for the 400m race was:

"US Men take the Gold in the 400m Freestyle Relay."

Seriously.  That's not even paying attention to the fact that the site was plastered with ads and "news" spoiling the event.  The actual TITLE of the video itself was bad.

I hate them.

Sauzee

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 02:49:46 pm »

Yup BBC is pretty good. But we do pay quite a bit for the privilege in the UK. £145 or US $ 227 annual license fee.

I suspect a public broadcaster paid for with taxes wouldn't be very popular in US!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 03:30:00 pm »

With A Paid Proxy you can get the BBC without paying the ridiculous UK government mandated fees. The BBC is kind of like the PBS here in the United States that is now being defunded a bit at a time. Note the PBS does offer some BBC content.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:38:23 am »

Unblock.US or StrongVPN.

Easy access to BBC stream.

rjm

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 01:18:31 am »

Most of BBC is available on TheBox.bz

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 01:57:37 am »

Yup BBC is pretty good. But we do pay quite a bit for the privilege in the UK. £145 or US $ 227 annual license fee.

I suspect a public broadcaster paid for with taxes wouldn't be very popular in US!

We do have exactly such a thing, and it is pretty fantastic here too (NPR is the only channel I ever listen to on the radio, and they have great podcasts too).

The nice thing about this structure is that the taxes are a relatively low percentage of the total revenues of the system, because it is also funded directly by the viewers/users through charitable giving.  It works too.  This provides a valuable public service, keeps the tax burden lower, doesn't require a mandate (people do volunteer if the content is good), and  it allows the local communities to retain control of their own public broadcasting systems, rather than have it all ruled with an iron fist by the feds.  The independence of the local stations (they are actually independent non-profits in almost all cases, and they buy their programming from the central systems, and have great latitude what to carry and what not to carry since they're paying for it), and their reliance on charitable giving within their communities, allows the local community a modicum of control.

Maine PBS isn't the same as Vermont PBS which isn't the same as Philly PBS which isn't the same as Pittsburgh PBS.  They all generally pull from the same pool of content, but there is a great deal of variability.

And, perhaps most importantly, that keeps it from becoming a state-sponsored information ministry propaganda machine.  Which, frankly, our commercial stations do just dandy at on their own, thanks.  My local station has to listen to me, because I am a member.  And I (and my fellow members) pay 60-70% of their bills.

Sauzee

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 05:31:28 am »

We do have exactly such a thing, and it is pretty fantastic here too (NPR is the only channel I ever listen to on the radio, and they have great podcasts too).

Sounds like a good model, but it's not quite on the same scale as the BBC.

perhaps most importantly, that keeps it from becoming a state-sponsored information ministry propaganda machine

That's the last thing you could accuse the BBC of being.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:36:42 am »

That's the last thing you could accuse the BBC of being.

No, agreed, and I wasn't saying it is.  But if our government funded it that way here, it would become that eventually.

pcstockton

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 10:41:23 am »

Sounds like a good model, but it's not quite on the same scale as the BBC.

Im not sure about that.....  Excluding BBC's TV revenue, their Radio division probably isn't much bigger (if at all) than NPR and its affiliate networks.

I digress... I am with Glynor.  NPR is the ONLY radio station I listen to regularly.  I get 90% of my "news" from them.  Then you have the kick-ass programming; This American Life, RadioLab, Fresh Air etc...  These are indispensable sources of joy.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 08:10:06 am »

Im not sure about that.....  Excluding BBC's TV revenue, their Radio division probably isn't much bigger (if at all) than NPR and its affiliate networks.

Depends what you mean by bigger. The BBCs total expenditure on radio is about £640 million; NPRs looks like $180million, or about 5 times less. In terms of output it's rather difficult to compare as NPR seems to be an operation that provides content to local broadcasters to take or leave as they please. The BBC operates 6 national 24 hour networks and a number of local stations.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 09:34:28 pm »

Depends what you mean by bigger. The BBCs total expenditure on radio is about £640 million; NPRs looks like $180million, or about 5 times less. In terms of output it's rather difficult to compare as NPR seems to be an operation that provides content to local broadcasters to take or leave as they please. The BBC operates 6 national 24 hour networks and a number of local stations.

I think if your going to compare the BBC costs you need to add the costs of PBS and NPR together
Fayetteville, NC, USA

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 07:56:06 am »

Those BBC costs were just for radio. Total BBC expenditure on all its services is about £3,800 million.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 08:25:46 am »

I think if your going to compare the BBC costs you need to add the costs of PBS and NPR together

You can't even really effectively compare them that way.

NPR is slightly more comprehensive than PBS, since they do directly produce some content, but it still just doesn't work the same way as the BBC system.  The American public broadcasting system is based on independent local broadcasters.  So, for example, one of the best programs on "NPR" that I like to listen to is Radiolab.  However, Radio Lab isn't produced by "NPR" (which does produce some news content itself).  Radio Lab is produced by WNYC, the New York City public radio station itself, and then is syndicated across the entire network (if the local station in question chooses to carry it).  So, the costs to produce Radiolab wouldn't be included in NPR's numbers, they'd be included in WNYC's numbers.  Another high-profile radio example is This American Life, which is produced by WBEZ out of Boston and is distributed by PRI, not NPR.  NPR primarily produces their two big daily news programs: All Things Considered (evening) and Morning Edition (obvious).  They also do special event coverage, like covering elections and things, and a few other shows like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me and Talk of the Nation/Science Friday.  Everything else they "run" wouldn't be in their numbers (except for distribution costs, which are obviously not comprehensive).

Similarly, PBS doesn't "produce" the majority of the content that is distributed through the public television system.  They are primarily a distributor of content produced by third-party sources such as affiliate stations, American Public Media (the largest one), NETA, and independent producers.  Even what is probably the "biggest" show on PBS, Sesame Street, isn't produced by PBS.  It is produced by Sesame Workshop (formerly Children's Television Workshop) and distributed in the US by PBS.  In fact, unlike NPR, PBS does not even have a content-production "arm" at all.  All of the content distributed by PBS comes from third-parties, with only a very few small (and occasional) exceptions.

To really evaluate the size of the US Public Broadcasting system, you'd have to evaluate the total expenditures not only of NPR and PBS, but of NPR, PBS, APT, APM, NETA, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the portion of PRI stuff that is American-funded, and every single public broadcasting station in the US (or at least those that do produce content, which is pretty much all of them, even if only for local audiences).  And that doesn't even count all of the independent content producers.  For example, many of the episodes of PBS's NOVA aren't produced by PBS itself (most, even).  They are produced by independent filmmakers (often other, separate non-profit foundations provide the funding and hire out a production company), and then PBS chooses to carry a particular program.  So, if a particular piece is funded by the Daughters of the American Revolution, and run on PBS, do you count them as part of the "network"?  What if they do it regularly?

Since it is built on independent, locally-controlled affiliate stations and pools of available content (some of which are produced by BBC), rather than a monolithic institution, it is very difficult to easily quantify with readily available figures.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 08:48:21 am »

glynor I guess you summed that up well.

Our, North Carolinas PBS station Is UNC-TV it is a 12-station network licensed to the University of North Carolina

http://www.unctv.org/aboutus/
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up