INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC17 with NAD M51 - no blue light  (Read 7224 times)

desalvo55

• Recent member
MC17 with NAD M51 - no blue light
« on: August 05, 2012, 05:24:19 pm »

OK I can't get the blue light to light. Sound quality vs other methods (HDMI through Oppo) is superior so I think I'm missing something.

I'm using the NAD USB driver ASIO setting. When I go to "Audio Path" I can do nothing. The window pops up but it won't allow me to input Audio Path : Direct

Can anyone shed some light on the subject pun intended?  :-\

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC17 frustration with NAD M51
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:42:29 pm »

The blue light comes on when you hover over the button.  When the window pops up, if it says "Audio Path Direct", that is a statement of the current setup, it isn't an option to select.  If you want to make changes, click on the "Playback Options" button.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

desalvo55

• Recent member
Re: MC17 with NAD M51 - no blue light
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 08:40:14 pm »

Thanks Nick. I hovered over the symbol still no blue light an no audio path displayed  :'(

I've about run out of options. Should I be using the NAD ASIO driver?

There must be some setting I missing, maybe in Windows?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:03:44 pm »

Read the audio path popup carefully.

Any changes are in the list, and the 'Output' section notes if the current output is or is not direct.

You could post the full text you're seeing if you would like help interpreting it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

desalvo55

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:36:41 am »

The problem is, nothing shows up. I get the popup but no paths are displayed. The fields are empty.  :(

Is it possible that by having my library which is located on an external hard drive connected via USB to the MAC is causing this issue? I'm hopeful to keep this convenience but not at the expense of sound quality.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:46:22 am »

The problem is, nothing shows up. I get the popup but no paths are displayed. The fields are empty.  :(

If the 'Output' section is empty, it means you're not playing with the JRiver audio engine.

Is it possible you're playing to a DLNA zone, or that you've configured Options > File Types to something other than automatic so that you're using a different engine?

desalvo55

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:42:37 am »

I'm not at home at the moment to check whether a DNLA zone is implemented, but I wouldn't have voluntarily done that.

Yesterday evening I uninstalled the program, rebooted, then reinstalled. In Windows Control Panel sounds, I checked that the NAD driver was being used NAD SPDIF (USB Audio) as opposed to NAD speakers (weird option). I made sure NAD ASIO was the input and checked windows exclusive mode was checked.

No boxes are checked in the DSP window. Nothing shows up on audio path. I tried every mode, WASABI, DIRECT, all of them but no audio paths are displayed and of course no blue box.

I greatly dislike LiTunes. The library implementation is just plain silly.

JRiver is logical and want to make this work!

desalvo55

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:02:01 pm »

We've given up on JRiver. It looks for the time being that it is not compatible with the NAD M51.

Thanks for your help just the same  ;)

NickF

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 12:43:47 pm »

We've given up on JRiver. It looks for the time being that it is not compatible with the NAD M51.

I'm sorry to hear that.  I would hope that we can help you resolve this.

I get the impression that the NAD driver is exposing ASIO, WASAPI and HDMI options to MC17 and that you are getting output from the NAD for each of them.  If you are using ASIO or WASAPI, the changes you make in Windows Sounds will have no effect as these options bypass the Windows audio.

When you have none of the options in DSP checked and you hover over the Slider button, what does it say against "Audio Path"?  Attached is what I see.

What skin are you using?  I don't think all skins show the blue button.  I know Noire and Black on Black do.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

NickF

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 02:45:45 pm »

i did a search on this subject and found your post on head-fi and this response:

I am getting the "blue" box verification of 'Audio Path: Direct' using MC 17.0.182 on Win7Ult --> USB -> NAD M51.

Can confirm that the NAD M51 is a stellar performer via USB using MC on Win7 or FLAC Player on iPad1.

so we know it can be done.

Nick.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 07:21:31 pm »

I don't think you've said what you're playing when you look at Audio Path.

Try playing an MP3 file from your C:\ drive and look at Audio Path while it's playing.  What do you see?

desalvo55

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 10:12:33 am »

Thanks for the followup guys. You folks really are committed  :o

And the fact the someone else got this to work?

First off, I never get any paths in the audio path popup. Not on any setting. I've checked and unchecked the output format in DSP with no change. I'm using the standard skin and have tried others but I know this isn't the problem.

Some posts ago I asked about whether I would need to have my library on the C: drive. I've only ever tried using the USB external HD. I guess I better try this option!

I see the NAD drivers in windows and in MC17. I'll report back tonight.

Thanks again.

desalvo55

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 09:03:48 pm »

If the 'Output' section is empty, it means you're not playing with the JRiver audio engine.

Is it possible you're playing to a DLNA zone, or that you've configured Options > File Types to something other than automatic so that you're using a different engine?

OK guys, what engine should I use? Does it make a difference? I want to keep things simple & direct  ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 09:07:30 pm »

OK guys, what engine should I use? Does it make a difference? I want to keep things simple & direct  ;)

In Options > File Types, set everything to 'Automatic'.

desalvo55

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 09:41:13 pm »

I have blue

and now with USB PC to NAD to Allnic, it smokes anything I heard from LiTunes audio engines.  Now I need to compare internal hard drive to external and then the real acid test, PC USB vs Oppo HDMI (I2S) to NAD to Allnic pre.

It is sounding amazing after Anna Bison - Depeche Mode first impressions.

Congratulations developing some really great software.  8)

FYI - I never got that the Option file types playback engine location. That's what threw me. In my humble opinion, file types is a weird place to locate "playback engine".  ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 09:58:43 pm »

Glad it's working.

Was the issue that you had manually changed the playback engine from 'Automatic' to something different?  If so, do you know why you changed it?

Thanks.

desalvo55

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 10:13:35 am »

It was set to automatic. When I changes to JRiver audio engine (direct filter) the button lit and stayed blue. No need to "hover".  ;)

I'm wish to understand the differences between the engines. Why is one "filter" vs "filters" vs "input plug-in"?

Didn't get a chance to AB paths last night but it was pretty incredible what this system is doing through USB.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 10:15:24 am »

It was set to automatic. When I changes to JRiver audio engine (direct filter) the button lit and stayed blue. No need to "hover".  ;)

What type of files are you playing?

desalvo55

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 12:18:47 pm »

I'm playing a mixture of FLAC and WAV files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up