INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Remote plug-n issue  (Read 1254 times)

Sixpack

Web Remote plug-n issue
« on: April 26, 2002, 01:54:15 pm »

This plug-in promises to be of real use for those with multiple networked pc's.  I currently run Home Seer on port 100 and the MJ Web Remote on port 80 with a private IP address of 90.0.0.5 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.  I am having problems with connecting to the MJ server but never to the Home Seer from Netscape 6.0 and Audrey Voyager.  Shutting down Home Seer does not resolve the problem.  Netscape reports back "Connection Failed  Error 113 No route to Host".  I have tried every combination of proxy/no proxy, other IP addresses outside of 90.0.0.x without success.  Since I never have an issue with Home Seer it appears MJ Web Remote Server is not acting properly.
    Is anyone else seeing similar problems and can the developers look at their implementation and try to resolve.  This is a really cool feature with tons of potential (like sitting outside sipping on a beer and contolling MJ from a bluetooth PDA.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Web Remote plug-n issue
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2002, 02:18:53 pm »

We're committed to making it work so you can enjoy your beer.  Did you try connecting with IE?  

Did you try from the same PC?

The error you get from netscape suggests that it could be a network problem.  What is the full string you are typing into the browser?

Also, are you running anything else on port 80?  Web server or music sharing software?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Sixpack

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2002, 04:18:05 pm »

IE works fine unless proxy is checked under LAN settings.  Telling IE to ignore local address resolves it.  IE always works with Home Seer (HS).  HS is on the same PC as MJ and is on port 8080 and seems very tolerant to network settings in that it always seems to work.  No other server is on the PC.  The string is:  http://90.0.0.5:80 for MJ and http://90.0.0.5:8080 for HS.  PC is dedicated to HTPC, MJ with APE and 4 80GB HD, Asus P4B P4 1.8G. and Win 98SE.  It could be a network problem and I'm thinking of putting the local network behind a router and using a private IP address.  What really confuses me is the Audreys will always connect to the HS server but not to the MJ server and both are on the same PC.  I even tried swapping port numbers between MJ and HS without success.  Even shut down HS and swapped around the port numbers.  If it were a network problem I would think it would impact both applications (MJ and HS)

sound

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2002, 09:05:03 am »

i am also running into a small problem with the web remote. my machine has the latest of version of 8 beta (8.0.260?) installed. an xp machine running ie6 can see the pages just fine, but my visor deluxe (palmos 3.1) using eudoraweb (2.1) with a xircom springport wireless adapter gives me the following error:

"The response from the server was incomplete. The requested document could not be loaded."

the status page for the plugin does not display "Page retrieved. ()". i've tried changing the port as well as opening "/view" directly with no success. if i stop the server, i get a different error. my network connection seems to be working fine as i am able to successfully retrieve yahoo.com and mediajukebox.com. in addition, i've had success connecting to a winamp http server plugin.

the web remote is such a great idea. along with everything else, mj is really a great piece of software. working in software product development, i'm pretty jealous that i'm not writing software like this! keep up the excellent work!

thanks,
brad

JimH

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2002, 09:30:30 am »

OK, what I think I understand is that IE can connect but other browsers can't.  A possible reason is browser incompatibility problems.  We can look at this.
Jim Hillegass

sound

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2002, 10:38:29 am »

if it is of any help, here's the the http request:
-------
GET /view HTTP/1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla/1.22 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; PalmOS 3.0) EudoraWeb 2.1
Accept: */*
Host: 192.168.1.100

-------
i snagged this using colasoft capsa.

thanks,
brad

sound

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2002, 12:10:22 pm »

i feel so diabolical. i got it working with a "bit" of hackery and think the problem is in the handling of the "user agent". i downloaded a cool program called "the proxomitron" which is a personal proxy server. i set it up to replace any incoming user agent headers with the internet exploiter agent for xp:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

then i configured eudoraweb to use the proxy server on port 8080 which forwards to the plugin on port 80 with the new user agent header. works like a charm. now i can control my jukebox pc from anywhere in my house and pick stuff from the media library on my pda. that's just too cool. guess i better go outside and have that beer...

-brad

JimH

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2002, 01:00:24 pm »

Great news!  Thanks for reporting the solution.  

I would be about to have a beer outside myself, but we've got an ugly mix of rain and snow right now.
Jim Hillegass

Raymond

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2002, 05:47:44 am »

Sound0 and SixPack,

I had made some changes on the Web Remote plug-in that might fix your problem. Please send an email to me at hftey@jriver.com and I will reply with the latest Web Remote plug-in and see whether it fixes your problem. Thanks              

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up