INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My New Printer Just Arrived - HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium!  (Read 22818 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
My New Printer Just Arrived - HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium!
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:08:08 pm »

My New Printer Just Arrived - HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium

A Very Cool Printer

It it was easy to setup the networking on both Sue's and my computer.

This was a replacement for the lightning damaged Officejet L7780 printer I had.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: My New Printer Just Arrived - HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 06:24:11 pm »

I used to have/use all sorts of fancy printers.

In fact, right now, within reach I have:

1. An Epson Stylus PRO 4000
2. An HP DesignJet 5500ps
3. A generic networked HP laser printer of some kind (too lazy to get up and look).
4. And out in my garage, I have an Epson Stylus Photo 2200.
5. I sold/gave away the Epson 2000p and the 1280 within the past year (yard sales).

Now, the only three printers I actually use are:

1. Adobe PDF Printer
2. the generic HP laserjet, maybe 6 times a year (mostly to print out crap for my wife for church, or directions for a visitor to get somewhere).
3. Mpix.com

After years of fighting with printers breaking (bent spooler rods seem to be the bane of all printers), crappy drivers, clogged/dried up inks, color shifts, spot colors, out-of-gamut colors, paper bleed, and the rest...

Mpix is awesome.

They do great work.
They send it to you fast.
They're cheap, but not so cheap that they spit out crap.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:08:18 pm »

This was a replacement for the lightning damaged Officejet L7780 printer I had.

Looks like a cool printer.  I see you had lightning damage.  Well, I had lightning damage 3 times (1984, 1995 and 2009).  2009 was the most expensive lightning damage, about 10K in electronics.   The problem is that other electronic devices will fail later on.  Sometimes it is around a year later.   

Oh, I just have a Lexmark 510 color laser printer. Well, I had several inkjets in the past, but it seems that it was more expensive replacing the cartridges or buying special paper.  The only negative about the color laser is replacing the toner cartridges, but it is like every few years. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:27 pm »

The problem is that other electronic devices will fail later on.  Sometimes it is around a year later.

Absolutely true.

I had a PC at the office that died from a power spike (I stupidly had it on one of our few "less protected" circuits in an old area, on a crappy cheapo power strip), or maybe it was just a faulty PSU that decided it would be awesome to dump voltage into the board?  Either way, it killed it and wouldn't POST anymore.  We replaced the entire PC, but kept the Nvidia Quadro card, since it seemed to test out okay (and, you know, they ain't cheap).

About a month and a half later I started getting BSODs and hangs in the GPU driver.  I hoped it was just a flaky driver install, but had that "sinking feeling".
About a month after that, it dies during the BIOS procedure.
Swap out the GPU with a duplicate, and it works perfectly.

I've seen it with other things after a lightning strike as well.  Cable modems seem to be particularly prone to "keep working" for a few weeks/months (probably slowing down all the while from all the errors they're generating) before crapping out altogether.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:53:27 pm »

I should mention, King.  My dad has the old version of that same printer (I think 8500 or something, either way, last year's model).  They're very happy with it.

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:37:18 pm »

Absolutely true.

I had a PC at the office that died from a power spike (I stupidly had it on one of our few "less protected" circuits in an old area, on a crappy cheapo power strip), or maybe it was just a faulty PSU that decided it would be awesome to dump voltage into the board?  Either way, it killed it and wouldn't POST anymore.  We replaced the entire PC, but kept the Nvidia Quadro card, since it seemed to test out okay (and, you know, they ain't cheap).

There is no protection against lightning.  Lightning has mind of it's own, because it seems to find the weakest link.  Eaton has supposedly developed a solution, but it is rather expensive.  http://www.eaton.com/Electrical/USA/ProductsandServices/Residential/SurgeProtection/WholeHome/index.htm  In 2009, I fried a Denon AVR-5308 ($5499) receiver, Phase Technology powered sub, 2 PC's that I had built.  One had 10 Drives in it, lamp post, 1 LCD monitor, Uverse modems were fried, surge protectors, garage door open, Split a tree outside, etc.  Sony 70" XBR2 LCOS TV tested out fine, and still works great.

Depends on your insurance, but if they allow you to send in the receipts on items.  Then you can replace items that you might have doubt about.  I threw several items in the trash after that strike. 

I've seen it with other things after a lightning strike as well.  Cable modems seem to be particularly prone to "keep working" for a few weeks/months (probably slowing down all the while from all the errors they're generating) before crapping out altogether.
  My first lightning strike in 1984 was 300 baud Atari modem.   Lightning can come in on the telephone line.  In 1995, when I was in Florida.  I had it hit a nice cordless ($220) AT&T phone, went through the phone line. 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 03:46:08 pm »

The cable company came today, and ran a new cable from the cable box, grounded it, and it also has a surge protection on it now. The old cable was not grounded.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 06:30:01 pm »

The cable company came today, and ran a new cable from the cable box, grounded it, and it also has a surge protection on it now. The old cable was not grounded.

Actually, I had surge protectors on my computer and stereo equipment.  My computers and stereo have their own circuits to the circuit panel.  Everything was grounded, but the only thing that the surge protector did was sound of the alarms on the surge protectors.  I fried the surge protectors, and the equipment that was attached to them.  The unknown with lightning is the volts?  http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/IEEE_Guide.pdf  Cheap protection is just have home owner's insurance. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 07:33:36 pm »

Depends on your insurance, but if they allow you to send in the receipts on items.  Then you can replace items that you might have doubt about.  I threw several items in the trash after that strike.

In my case it was certainly not lightning (clear blue skies for the whole time).

I, personally, think it was a faulty PSU in the system, but it is possible that it was a problem at the wall.  That area of the Lab is older and isn't a real high priority to our facilities guys (they're busy worrying about multimillion dollar systems and animals dying in research and production areas - this is in the back room of our auditorium in a public space), and I do see occasional circuit breaker trips in a nearby area, though I've never lost any equipment before...

The system, however, was brand-spanking-new (we're talking less than 2-3 days old) so the vendor basically treated it as DOA, no questions asked.  They've been good to deal with (flew a guy out to replace the system).  They oughta have been, though, for what it cost...

In any case, it is now on an industrial-class power conditioner and UPS, so it'll be fine.  I'm also using one of our special "red plugs" (which are uninterruptable on their own, and regulated to protect said animals and multimillion dollar equipment).

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 08:05:54 pm »

> "I'm also using one of our special "red plugs"

Whats That?

My Electrician is coming tomorrow, For some work on a power line.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rjm

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 08:18:57 pm »

my strategy is to back up to external drives which I keep powered off and disconnected when not backing up, everything in my house might fry but these drives should survive

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 08:52:31 pm »

I think my problem is that it came from three directions

1. My Ungrounded Antenna
2. Power Company
3. Ungrounded Cable

None Of Them Were Setup Correctly.

So a complete failure when it comes to protection.

One of the things I found out today was, the box the power company hooks up to my AC to turn it and my hot water heater off was fried, and that's why the hot water heater stopped working. The same thing happened to one of My Neighbours house who has lived two doors down for 15 or 16 years that I have never talked to. She has allowed my wife to use her cell phone for the past week+

Today We got the NetTalk Duo phone working.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 09:31:40 pm »

Here is the thread that was avsforum about whole house protection.  http://www.avsforum.com/t/976887/whole-house-surge-protector/90
The cost is rather high for whole house protection.

I was at home, when the lightning hit the tree outside my house.  It was 630am in the morning.   The lightning burned down some local trees, and a few buildings were destroyed by fire.   Anyway, I did have my electrician check out the wiring after the storm.  The lightning hit the tree that was outside my house, split the sugar maple tree.  Then went to the post light. The entry point was the post light wire that went into the house.  I have older home that was built in 1958, and I had upgraded almost of the wiring in the home.  Most modern post lights are wired to the entry way, but this one was wired to a switch in the garage.  You could see the burnt mark on the wall of the garage.  So was rather easy to follow.   Then it went to the circuit panel.  A electrical contractor friend of mine says he puts surge protector on the circuit panel, but in my case that wouldn't have protected my equipment.  Although, I did have the electrician relocate the wiring to entry way.  

All my outlets were grounded and it still failed. The surge protectors alarms just went off as the system failed.  Just rather hard and expensive to do protection.
I am without power more than this incident, but I have considered a whole house generator.   Although, I did upgrade my subwoofer to a Definitive Technology Super Cube Reference, when I was paid for the insurance.  My audio store gave me a great discount on that subwoofer. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 10:36:53 pm »

> "I'm also using one of our special "red plugs"

Whats That?

My Electrician is coming tomorrow, For some work on a power line.

Just something we have at the office.  We have two separate power systems, regular, and super-uninterruptable/regulated/fancypants.  They mark the fancy ones with red plugs, and tell us not to use them unless we have something that absolutely can't be interrupted.  They're backed by a massive battery backup array and generators (including the fancy biomass one).

But, we have systems there where if the power goes out for even a split second, stuff dies.
And, by stuff, I mean actual living things, not "stuff".

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 07:33:51 am »

> I mean actual living things, not "stuff".

Like Microwave popcorn
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 08:20:21 pm »

Well Best Buy Is Going To Attempt To Fix The TV they Ordered Parts Today, They Are coming 22nd or so to put them in.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 01:23:33 am »

Well Best Buy Is Going To Attempt To Fix The TV they Ordered Parts Today, They Are coming 22nd or so to put them in.

Not sure if I want the TV to be fixed.  What will happen later is another part will fail and you won't have a warranty on the TV.  The insurance company tried that trick with me, but I had my audio/video (hifi) dealer write a letter to replace the equipment that was hit by lightning.  My audio dealer had another customer that they lightning fried all the components in the house.  The entry point was the sprinkling system.  I had to show the warranty on the product, and all warranties on electronic equipment basically have the same statements.   http://www2.panasonic.com/static/Warranty/WARRANTY_TV_Plasma.pdf

It took around 3 months of fighting, but the insurance company finally paid.  Then the claim's adjuster tried to give me a price from online internet website.   Well, every internet site she called didn't have a US Warranty or not an Authorized Denon Dealer, because it was a gray market product. (A few online friends of mine gave me great advise about how to get reimbursed from insurance companies with lightning damage.) 

P.S.  I might have the letter from audio store in my files, but I could provide a sample letter to you. 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 05:21:53 pm »

Will see how this works out, basicly there is three boards in the Tv, they are going to try to replace two of them this go round. after that they will give me credit for the TV (the price I paid for it).
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 07:14:52 pm »

Will see how this works out, basicly there is three boards in the Tv, they are going to try to replace two of them this go round. after that they will give me credit for the TV (the price I paid for it).

You can show them the manufacturer's warranty, so fixing it is basically a waste of their time and your time.  Limited Warranty ALSO DOES NOT COVER damages which occurred in shipment, or failures which are caused by products not supplied by the warrantor, or failures which result from accidents, misuse, abuse, neglect, mishandling, misapplication, alteration, faulty installation, set-up adjustments, misadjustment of consumer controls, improper maintenance, power line surge, lightning damage, modifi cation, or commercial use (such as in a hotel, offi ce, restaurant, or other business), rental use of the product, service by anyone other than a Factory Servicenter or other Authorized Servicer, or damage that is attributable to acts of God.

The only item that was fixed was the electric garage door opener.  The service man had to replace all the electrical boards.  Also check to see if Best Buy is authorized to service that model.  It is rare that I buy from Best buy, because of their credit deal.  If you home owners or renters insurance, then you just need to file a claim.  Most people seem to be afraid to file, because the next year your rates will go up.  So you have to switch to a new company the next year at probably lower cost. 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 08:57:47 pm »

Isn't the point of all this is to get it working no matter how it's done?

I believe my insurance company in sort is useless unless i want to go thru the hassle in obtaining paid experts (paid by me) in determining what is damaged or not. I am not sure if my house burns down if they would be any-good also, at that point I think I would take them to Court.

As it stands now this TV is the only thing that has not been fixed or replaced, paid in full by me, short of my Tivo (that I am told by Tivo should not have been replaced due to the Lightning Bolt Issue).
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 01:33:11 am »

Isn't the point of all this is to get it working no matter how it's done?

I believe my insurance company in sort is useless unless i want to go thru the hassle in obtaining paid experts (paid by me) in determining what is damaged or not. I am not sure if my house burns down if they would be any-good also, at that point I think I would take them to Court.

As it stands now this TV is the only thing that has not been fixed or replaced, paid in full by me, short of my Tivo (that I am told by Tivo should not have been replaced due to the Lightning Bolt Issue).

Depends on your point of view.  I just had to pay my deductible and that was it.  I got all new equipment and new warranties.  I had 10K in damages alone, so in my example it was cheaper to go through the hassle of the insurance company.  If the replacement cost is below your deductible, then I can see paying it out of pocket.  The insurance company will tell you to get it looked at, by expert.   Get a receipt on the costs, to fix it or they replace it.  Depends on your coverage.  Oh, if you have 10K in damages, then you pay that up front.  It will take around 3 months to get the money.  In a fire it is the same way, you pay to replace the items are lost.  My friend's dad was just a small fire. 

Going to court could cost you more money than you want to know.  I know the exact figure that my father paid back in 1990, when the dealership drove his car through a flooded street.  A neighbor in the area took a video of it.   Don't ever buy a car that has been in flood, because all the electronics have to be replaced.  Anyway, Suing is not the answer, because you are going against someone with more money than you. 

Tivo warranty  http://www.tivo.com/buytivo/dvrlimitedwarranty.html

Your warranty does not cover:

Product replacement because of misuse, accident, lightning damage, unauthorized repair, or other cause not within the control of TiVo Inc. Please note that removing the cover of the DVR for any reason voids the warranty.

Looks like you have to buy a new Tivo, it is going to get expensive. 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 03:50:02 am »

Tivo replaced the Tivo, and I told them it was hit by lightning..... but they also reminded me it was not normal for them to do so.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 08:48:14 am »

Tivo replaced the Tivo, and I told them it was hit by lightning..... but they also reminded me it was not normal for them to do so.

Well, you got lucky on the Tivo.  I know what Denon said when I called them about the receiver.  No, we don't replace on act of god. 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 11:38:53 am »

> "Well, you got lucky on the Tivo."

Yes Indeed.

maybe because I have been a subscriber for over 8 years.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »

> "Well, you got lucky on the Tivo."

Yes Indeed.

maybe because I have been a subscriber for over 8 years.

Well, it is probably they don't want to lose you as customer.  AT&T Uverse did the same for me, when lightning hit my equipment.  Although, I didn't buy the equipment from AT&T, it is more of a lease. 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 06:15:45 pm »

Today I Got My Surge Breaker Made By Square-D, It Is A whole Home Surge Protector.

They State In The Warranty They Are Responsible For All Damage To "Major Household Appliances. Up-to $10,000

They Also State they DO NOT cover Microwaves, Audio and stereo component, video equipment, TVs And Computers.

Of Course It Mist Be Installed Correctly, And Functioning During The Surge.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 04:02:49 pm »

They Also State they DO NOT cover Microwaves, Audio and stereo component, video equipment, TVs And Computers.

Which is 99.98% of what the average consumer would be buying it to protect.

Typical.

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 06:01:19 pm »

My surge suppressor now is a Furman Sound.   I have to look at the model number, but it has built in power conditioner.  I think it is this model, but must have been updated.  IT-REFERENCE 20i   My house was built in 1958, so in the past we redid most of the circuits.  Replaced the fuse panel with 200 amp circuit panel.  My electrician told me to change the circuit for the microwave to 20 amps. Stereo and computers have their circuits to the panel.  The circuit that I wanted relocated to the entry was the one that got hit by lightning.  

A friend did recommend to put a surge suppressor on the circuit panel, but my point entry didn't hit the panel.   You are supposed to have at least 2 surge suppressors (One on the panel and one on the equipment).  The chance of you getting hit by lightning again is rather slim.  My old water heater didn't get hit, but it was an AO Smith from 1987.  The water heater was 5000 watts, but I replaced it with a tankless water heater.  The tankless is on natural gas.  I save around $60 month just on that upgrade.   Here is the brand.  http://www.rinnai.us/tankless-water-heater/

Your Electrician should be able to get you a discount on the whole house surge suppressor.  You need it installed, but they are better in selecting out the best equipment.  Although, I did surprise one electrician with the T5-HO lighting for the garage. He said that he only installs this in Jiffy lubes, but this was the first time that he installed in a residential garage. 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 09:45:44 am »

this morning I fixed 4 wall plugs, two did not have a ground connected, the other two had the hot and the neutral reversed. Some of the equipment was connected to these plugs.

I put the antenna back on the Antenna Pole\Rotor, But did not take it up past 20 feet from the ground till I get the rotor aligned with the north pole (I need to find my compass).
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 03:59:21 pm »

this morning I fixed 4 wall plugs, two did not have a ground connected, the other two had the hot and the neutral reversed. Some of the equipment was connected to these plugs.

I put the antenna back on the Antenna Pole\Rotor, But did not take it up past 20 feet from the ground till I get the rotor aligned with the north pole (I need to find my compass).

If your home was built prior to 1978, then it may not have a ground on the outlets.  The (National Electric Code) NEC code changed in 1978, but a ground won't protect against lightning damage.  The outlets that were destroyed in 2010 were updated to the latest codes.  I had them directly wired to the circuit panel on their own circuit.

Lightning can have 100 million to 1 billion volts, and contains billions of watts.  http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/faq/faq_ltg.php/
So, how can you design a system that will protect against lightning?   You can't protect it.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 04:19:47 pm »

> "You can't protect it."

how about dig a hole 100 feet deep and put your house under the ground with a nuclear underground power plant.

I think I am about as protected as I can be now without living underground.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 09:02:38 am »

A ground is not protection.   It just fixes your outlet.   Your Square-D whole house protection, only protects the circuit panel and non-vital systems.    That is if the lightning hits the circuit panel.  My circuit panel worked as intended, but the lightning traveled in a different direction.   My advice is not spend lot of money on protection, but if it happens again then just have the components replaced by the home owners insurance.  Even my Furman sound can be overloaded, but I needed a more reliable protection system on my stereo components.  You don't have to listen to my advice, but I have went through this 3 times.   End of my posts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up