INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update Library removes files on removable drives  (Read 1349 times)

ribble

Update Library removes files on removable drives
« on: April 26, 2002, 09:01:41 am »

In Version 8.0.257 and some earlier versions, contrary to what the instructions say, the "Update Library" is wiping out the contents of my playlists which are on my removable D drive.  The file location in earlier versions that I noticed was D:\filename.  Now it has 0xDEDC0E2C:\filename.  Help?

Steve

RE:Update Library removes files on removable drives
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2002, 11:27:27 am »

Ribble,

I am having trouble duplicating this. Could you give more detail as to what exactly you do to see this problem?

ribble

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2002, 03:13:20 pm »

File/Library/Update Library/Cleanup/Remove files which do not exist/Update

Doing this removes the contents of every playlist referencing my D: drive which is a CDR drive.
Also, the media file column heading "Location" correctly shows, e.g., C:\Program\filename for the
C Drive, but for the D drive, it shows OxDEDC0E2C:\filename or Ox43FA2D64:\filename - - changing for each CDR used.  I thought it was the CD serial # but it is not.  Perhaps a volume #?

Now that I know about this, I backup my Library before I do "Update Library" because I know I will need to restore it after the procedure.

When I try to access a CD file that presently is not in the CD drive, it says "The volume labeled 'Unknown' was not found.  Would you like to try again?"  What is the volume label?  Is it referring to a volume name on a CD?

Hope this helps.  Thanks.

ribble

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2002, 03:19:52 pm »

Sorry, here is system info:

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.260

CPU: Intel Pentium III 53 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 403 MB
Resource Info: System - 61 %, GDI - 80 %, User - 61 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100
wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995
Aspi32.sys: N/A

RedJ

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2002, 03:25:40 pm »

This sounds suspiciously similar to my previously posted problems with Streaming URL playlist entries being removed when doing an update.  

BTW- since nobody ever suggested a workaround, I did come up with this myself:
I export the playlists as an M3U playlist and then reimport it when Update obliterates those entries.  Unfortunately, I've never personally gotten it to put them back exactly how they were without some manual data re-entry.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2002, 11:38:47 am »

I can't reproduce this here. I inserted an audio CD. It created an entry in Media Library under the "CD and DVD media" tree. Then I created a playlist which consisted of tracks from this CD. Then I removed the CD and did the "update library, remove files which do not exist" command. Afterwards, the playlist was still there as was the entry under "CD and DVD media". Is this the same sequence you are going through, or is there something different I should try? MJ version 8.0.260

By the way, the 0xDEDC0E2C stuff is the volume ID of the disk. It's the same number that indexes the cdplayer.ini file in the windows directory.

- John T.
JRiver, Inc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up