INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI to Receiver?  (Read 1071 times)

guitarhead

• Recent member
HDMI to Receiver?
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:10:21 am »

I Hope these questions are not redundant.(I could not find answer using search) If I use HDMI to Receiver does it bypass sound card? Does it matter what audio output mode I use (in Media Center settings) when using HDMI? I am using Media Center 17. Thanks

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: HDMI to Receiver?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:38:13 am »

WASAPI and WASAPI event-mode are both direct modes (they bypass windows processing). If you are looking to bitstream (if that is what you mean by "bypassing the soundcard," you can set those options under video settings. Obviously, your computer has to decode audio-only formats and send them via PCM to the receiver.

guitarhead

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:03:29 am »

Is "WASAPI" and "WASAPI event" mode better quality than "Direct Sound" mode when using HDMI out. Please excuse my ignorance I'm new to all this and looking for the best settings for quality. I use a laptop with HDMI out to Yamaha 5.1 receiver. Mostly concerned with audio quality.

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 01:20:51 pm »

I strongly advise reading the Audio topics in the wiki FAQ page here, especially Audio Connection Type, Audio Output Modes and Audiophile Info.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10
Pages: [1]   Go Up