INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: FLAC Transcoding  (Read 2819 times)

tony22

• Recent member
Feature request: FLAC Transcoding
« on: August 15, 2012, 03:33:33 pm »

Or any format to PCM/WAV. At least with the PS Audio DAC, transcoding FLAC files on the server side provides a better sound. The same is true for Logitech devices and their LMS server, so I have to wonder if offloading the transcoding from any DAC is the better way to go. I think this option would be good.

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
Re: Feature request: FLAC Transcoding
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:12:23 pm »

I'm confused. First I admit I have only limited knowledge in this arena.

But I was of the impression that the PC sent only a non-compressed stream and when the DAC received it there was only converting Digital to Analog left to be done.

So you are saying that some (maybe all) DACs have the ability to process an encoded/compressed stream and transcode it into plain form on the fly?
. . . the game is rigged

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:39:39 pm »

WAV, FLAC, APE, MP3, and all other formats are decoded by JRiver and converted to PCM for delivery to the DAC. There is no "transcoding" done by a DAC. The only data that can be sent to a DAC is either PCM or DSD.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 05:17:18 pm »

As usual it depends on the configuration.
In case of direct playback the only thing a DAC does understand is “raw” PCM.
In case of a Squeeze we talk streaming. In case of DLNA the same
The audio might be converted to “raw” PCM by the server and sent to the renderer or the format is send unaltered to the renderer and converted there.

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:11:53 pm »

WAV, FLAC, APE, MP3, and all other formats are decoded by JRiver and converted to PCM for delivery to the DAC. There is no "transcoding" done by a DAC. The only data that can be sent to a DAC is either PCM or DSD.

So my FLAC files are automatically converted to PCM by JRiver? Are you sure? When I use my DACs supplied server software I have the option to transcode, as it can send either FLAC or WAV to the DAC. When it send FLAC the DAC display confirms it's receiving FLAC and coverts it internally. When it is sent WAV it shows that as well. When I used MC17 the display indicated it was receiving data in FLAC form.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:56:43 am »

Tony22

Normally a DAC connects to a PC using SPDIF or USB.
I wouldn’t be surprised if in your case the connection is over the network using the Bridge.
This is not direct playback but streaming.
The protocol is probably DLNA so one could choose in this case who does the decoding, the server or the renderer.
It will help if you are a bit more specific about gear used and type of connection.

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 07:30:59 am »

Sorry Vincent, you are exactly right. I'm streaming via the PS Audio Bridge which is installed in my PWD. Running MC17 from Win7 x64 Ultimate. System is hard cabled from my FiOS router to the Bridge. The Bridge supports UPnP and DLNA. I would like the server to do the decoding.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 07:56:30 am »

You can configure DLNA conversion in Options > Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA Servers...

I think you're smart to decode to PCM on the computer side.  It makes it so basically every format is playable, all at the best possible quality.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 11:42:36 am »

Thanks Matt. I'll give it a try when I get home.

I got in on the last day to purchase the MC17/18 license at the discounted price. While I haven't had much time to evaluate it yet, the great reputation plus the ability to stream SACD ISO was enough to let me take the risk. I hope it turns out to be what I'm looking for!

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 06:22:33 pm »

You can configure DLNA conversion in Options > Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA Servers...

I think you're smart to decode to PCM on the computer side.  It makes it so basically every format is playable, all at the best possible quality.

Hmm, what are the best settings to do this?

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 07:44:06 pm »

Got it. "Always convert" and "Uncompressed 24 bit". But why doesn't the DSP button on the display turn blue?

monsieurguzel

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 02:04:01 pm »

Got it. "Always covert" and "Uncompressed 24 bit". But why doesn't the DSP button on the display turn blue?

I've seen this option, but isn't there a way to always convert with just the bit depth of the actual song being played?  My music library has both 16-bit and 24-bit songs in it, but JRiver forces everything as 24-bit audio for whatever reason...

srwooten

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 07:11:17 pm »

I've seen this option, but isn't there a way to always convert with just the bit depth of the actual song being played?  My music library has both 16-bit and 24-bit songs in it, but JRiver forces everything as 24-bit audio for whatever reason...

The files are NOT up-converted to 24 bit, they are just padded with zeros. This will show up as 24 bit on your renderer. I asked the same thing b4, and had had the same concerns.

monsieurguzel

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 03:23:17 pm »

That's very good to know.  I thought it was just upconverting everything to 24-bit which worried me a little.
Pages: [1]   Go Up