INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem Playing Multi Channel - Need Help  (Read 2586 times)

shrike645

• Recent member
Problem Playing Multi Channel - Need Help
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:13:00 am »

I can’t get JR (using Version 17.0.184) to play 6 channel. It always want to convert to 24 bit 2 channel.

I'm running windows 7 and the sound drivers seem to be configured correctly. It recognizes my Anthem D2 as 5.1 system connected via hdmi and all speakers will work for test sounds. The D2 will accept 5.1 input at up to 96K/24bit

Playback options I'm using wasapi event (and tried wasapi too)

DSP studio is set for bitdepth = source bitdepth (I have tried 24 bit too) and channels = source number of channels. Sample rate is set to no change for rates up to 96K and those above are set to change to 96K.

I've tried Movies, SACD ISO's and DVDA's converted to flac. None work. JR always says that "playback could not be started using the format 48Khz 24bit 6 ch - the format would work at 48Khz 24bit 2 ch."

I don't know what else to try. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Problem Playing Multi Channel - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 09:28:11 am »

I have setup several receivers for use with JRiver and HDMI. They all required that I set the output to 5.1 or 7.1 channels and the bitdepth to 24 bit. You can set mixing to "No upmixing or downmixing" if you plan to use the D2 for mixing. You already tried them, but try "WASAPI - Event Mode" first with the above settings and then "WASAPI" if that doesn't work. In Tools > Options > Video make sure that bitstreaming is set to none.

shrike645

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:05:20 am »

I just tried setting JR to 5.1 channels and still have the same problem. I've already tried all your other suggestion, thanks for replying.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 03:27:07 pm »

What's your output hardware (onboard, discrete gpu hdmi audio) ?

shrike645

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »

I'm using my VIAO laptop via HDMI. Using the config in control panel / sound I can "test" through all speakers. Properties / support formats reports 16,20,24 bits supported, 32,44.2,48,88.2, 96khz supported, maximum number of channels 6. default format is 24/96. In the configuration is does call them rear speakers and for 5.1 I would call them sides but they do test ok. There is no option to pick sides.

shrike645

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:54:02 pm »

Something else I've noticed is that if I have DSP studio set for "Source Bitdepth" when I have a dvd in the drive that the tags report as 16 bit 6 channel JR reports that it can't play 48khz, 32 bit, 6 channel. Why would it be trying to play 32 bit when the source is 16 bit?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »

Something else I've noticed is that if I have DSP studio set for "Source Bitdepth" when I have a dvd in the drive that the tags report as 16 bit 6 channel JR reports that it can't play 48khz, 32 bit, 6 channel. Why would it be trying to play 32 bit when the source is 16 bit?

That's normal (and good).

An explanation here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Bitdepth#Bitdepth_of_Lossy_Formats
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 05:22:43 pm »

For the original issue, what happens if you use DirectSound instead of WASAPI - Event Style?  I'm thinking it might be good to get everything else working and come back to the output mode.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shrike645

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 07:08:00 pm »

OK direct sound worked. progress I guess. Why wouldn't Wasapi or wasapi event style work?

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 02:46:47 am »

Driver issue i guess. Dunno which vaio you have. Mine (vpcz1) has an hybrid gpu (intel/nvidia) and the hdmi port actually uses a nvidia hdmi audio driver which is completely outdated and sony hasn't updated since a long time. Installing a recent nvidia driver can be done with a little hack but it screws up the laptop for other things.
Just a thought
Actually i never hooked my vaio to my receiver so not more concrete experience with such a setup.

donEsteban

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 04:31:14 pm »

I'm new to this forum (sort of).  Don't know if I have to start a new thread. 

Same problem.  Slightly different hardware.  Audio output is to an old Onkyo passthrough "USB sound card", which is only capable of converting USB to s/pdif  optical.  Thence to a Sony A/V receiver, which makes clear when it is receiving a DTS encoded audio stream, or just stereo.

Sound files are mostly DTS .wav 44.1kHz/24bitdepth/6channel/1411bitrate.  Some are .ac3 with same parameters, except 48kHz.

Depending on the settings, I either get stereo output, or the familiar "Playback could not be started on the output "wasapi" [either version] using the format "44.1kHz 32 bit [yes, 32] 6 ch", because my hardware can't support it.

What makes this problem more frustrating, er, tantalizing, is that MC 14 is still on the same Windows 7 machine, and it is still working perfectly with output as source number of channels, source bitdepth, no resampling, etc.

How do I set MC17 to do bit perfect passthrough, and not worry about my "hardware", which isn't involved in decoding the DTS anyway.

Thanks for any help.

donE

donEsteban

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 10:44:06 pm »

Some further discovery about 17.0.184:

I can't even play an ordinary 16 bit .mp3 on my Windows 7 machine with wasapi using "source bitdepth" in DSP Studio.  It says:  "playback could not be started using the format 44.1 kHz 24 bit 2 ch.  This format would work:  44.1 kHz 16 bit 2 ch."  And do I want that fixed.  I can, or I can fix it myself, and of course the file plays.  But it read the source bit depth wrong.  And locked me at 16 bit.

And as in my previous message, it read the source bit depth of both 48 kHz and 44.1 kHz 24 bit files as 32 bit.  Which gave "playback could not be started..." , and  gave no offer to fix it , blaming my hardware that isn't even in use with passthrough out the USB.

I think "source bitdepth" and "source number of channels" got messed up between MC14 (where multichannel works) and MC17, where it doesn't.

Ideas appreciated, anyone.

donE
Pages: [1]   Go Up