INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple artist albums - how to have the album appear as one file?  (Read 1594 times)

thebigeast

• Recent member

I've been using JRiver for a couple weeks or so now. One question that I have: When ripping an album with multiple artists - such as the best hits of 1982 or something like that - under the audio albums view, instead of listing that as one album, it lists separate thumbnails for all the individual songs on the album. That is definitely not what I want. How do I prevent that from happening in the future and is there a way to put all those files back under the umbrella of one album and not with a dozen or more thumbnails?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Re: Re: Multiple artist albums - how to have the album appear as one file?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:23:05 am »

Have you added the tag Album Artist. If not add this and call it something like Various Artists. When you then look at albums the album will show as a single album. The Artist tag should have the actual artist details as normal.

What I also do for compatibility with Windows Media Player is copy the contents of the Album Artist field to the Band field.

John

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Multiple artist albums - how to have the album appear as one file?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:29:20 am »

If you CLEAR all the Album Artist fields, MC will automatically assign the value "(Multiple Artists)" to the field Album Artist (auto), and it is this field that is used in stock views.

Set Album Artist when you want a single artist to be used for a compilation CD (i.e. good for soundtracks), or other albums that are primarily one artist but may have an additional track or two.

See: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

thebigeast

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:42:14 am »

Thanks for the replies - I appreciate them very much. I'll try out the suggestions later today and report back. Cheers!

thebigeast

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:00:37 pm »

Well, unfortunately, I'm just not getting it. I've been using the automatic default ripping system built into MC and the default leads to albums with multiple artists as having multiple views of the album under the default view. I've read the link provided in this thread regarding rules for Album Artist (auto) but I do not know where to change any fields to get this to work properly. I ended up creating a duplicate Album (Copy) view that I deleted.

Not sure what to do now other than delete the multiple artist album I burned earlier. Of course, I would prefer to have a more detailed explanation on where and how to change these fields. Does such a write-up exist in the FAQ's anywhere?

I'd also like to make a suggestion. Some sites provide video walk-throughs of common features in their software. That would be helpful in cases such as this. The answer would be obvious instead of users beating their head against the wall or feeling stupid - I'm not there yet in either case :)

Thanks!

Dirhael

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 11:57:50 pm »

Under Options -> File Location -> Folder Rule, select Custom... and enter something like: [Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]\

This will ensure that your VA album rips end up in the same folder.
:: My J​RMC history :: 13>14>15> 16>17>18>19>20>21>23>24>25>26>27>28>29>30>31

thebigeast

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 01:04:55 am »

Thanks Dirhael - I tried your suggestion. I ripped The Big Chill soundtrack. Sadly, the default view showed multiple copies again all under separate artists. Not sure what to do next.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Pages: [1]   Go Up