INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maximum number of characters in "Name"  (Read 1046 times)

marcocasini

• Recent member
Maximum number of characters in "Name"
« on: August 20, 2012, 03:47:57 pm »

I have observed that if a file has a "name" (in the metadata dates) longer than 30 characters, this name is not shown completely in JC Media, i.e. is cut after 30 ch. I have searched a parameter to change this limit in Option but without success. Thank you for help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Maximum number of characters in "Name"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:34:27 pm »

There is no limit to the size of name, artist, album, etc. in the program.

You can make any column wider by dragging the right side of the column header wider.  Does that help?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marcocasini

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:20:22 am »

Yes, I knew that I can change column's size as you say. But I have some file (I attached one of these) showing the problem. The name shown in MP3tag is longer and complete but in J.C Media is cut after 30 characters. I tried also to change completely the name but nothing changed. With other files, with long name, there is no problem. I add another observation: the word "gläubet" is shown as  "gläubet" and this happens with all the words containing German specific characters (ä, ü, ö, etc). Could you please verify? Thank you in advance.
(I reduced the dimension of the original file)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:18:05 am »

That file only contains an ID3v1 tag, which is an old tagging format for MP3 that is limited to 30 characters for the name.

You should use ID3v2 tags.  Or tag with Media Center (which uses ID3v2).

This is also causing the umlaut problem, because ID3v1 doesn't tightly define character encoding (but ID3v2 does).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marcocasini

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:48:34 am »

Thank you very much, Matt. It was a long time that I tried to understand (before using J River Media) why Winamp showed badly the German characters! I removed the ID3V1 tag from my libraries (with MP3Tag, selecting appropriate tags to remove and to write in the options) and everythings was OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up