INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7.1 Bitstreaming Error (Resolved)  (Read 2269 times)

kkl

• Recent member
7.1 Bitstreaming Error (Resolved)
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:00:22 pm »

I am trying to get 7.1 audio bitstreaming to work but get an error each time:

I have everything required according to the wiki:
Bitstreaming

Media Center can optionally bitstream the following formats:

Dolby Digital (AC3)
    DTS
    Dolby TrueHD
    DTS-HD

Only consider bitstreaming if ALL of the following are true:

You have more than two speakers connected
    You are using an HDMI or S/PDIF connection
    You have a receiver (or outboard decoder) capable of decoding formats like Dolby Digital and DTS (and preferably the latest formats like Dolby TrueHD, etc.)
    You have properly configured the receiver levels, speakers, distances, etc.
    You do not want to use VideoClock, Room Correction, or any other audio features offered by Media Center

Select 'Bitstreaming' as the connection type to use an external decoder when possible.

I have a Pioneer VSX-1120 which decodes Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master and I've used it successfully on hundreds of Blu-ray discs played on my Blu-ray player connected via HDMI.  My HTPC has a Radeon HD 7770 video card connected via HDMI to the VSX-1120 and capable of 7.1 audio.  It is configured as my default audio device:

In order to troubleshoot, I uninstalled JRiver and did a clean re-install (registries and libraries cleared).  When I played a TrueHD Blu-ray disk with the default settings, there was no error, but this was not bitstreaming.  The receiver showed PCM 7.1 channels.  When I changed just one setting, Options > Video > Bitstreaming: HDMI, I get the error message shown above.  In what I think may be a bug, if I change Bitstreaming to S/PDIF, I also get PCM 7.1, even though I don't have a S/PDIF cable connected to that input.  I have tried numerous audio settings without resolution.  Bitstreaming of a 5.1 audio source does work (e.g. Dolby Digital), so the problem appears to be specific to 7.1 channels.

I purchased JRiver in large part due to the bitstreaming capability.  Now that a Windows 8 driver providing 7.1 audio is available, I am disappointed that JRiver is not working with it.  Any help would be appreciated.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Re: 7.1 Bitstreaming Error
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:30:23 pm »

Did you try to clean re-install your ATI drivers ? The many identical greyed-out devices look strange ... just a thought.

kkl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:41:29 pm »

The drivers were just installed.  I believe that the greyed-out devices are for the multitude of audio options on this motherboard - Biostar TA990FXE.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 03:04:58 am »

You should really make the fact that you're using Windows 8 more clear, because it most certainly is the reason for your problems.
Mentioning it in one half-sentence in the middle of the text does not help. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

kkl

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 04:01:24 pm »

I believe I've found a resolution.  I changed audio output mode to WASAPI and didn't receive the error and received a DD TrueHD or DTS-HD Master indicator on my receiver.  I thought for sure that I had tried this before, so I'm a little uncertain as to why.  WASAPI Event Style is also now working.    The problem appears to be specific to the Direct Sound mode.  I did find that the problem wasn't related directly to 7.1 channels as the error was also occurring with 5.1 TrueHD and DTS-HD sources, but not with Dolby Digital 5.1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up